View Full Version : Adderall and Nortriptyline?

Snoopy10
03-06-17, 10:51 AM
I haven't been on the forum in awhile because I have been doing really well (yay!) of course if a new challenge comes up I always find my way back and am grateful for the support.

So here is the latest- I have a weird form of migraine (there is a long back story there that I won't rehash). My migraines are mostly aura. I asked my neurologist if there was something I could try for preventative and he put me on Nortriptyline.

Does anyone have experience with this drug? I've been on it only a week but the past few days my anxiety has skyrocketed. I'm hoping the feeling goes away and I will stabilize. Rational thinking would indicate that I need to give it more time so any feedback to support that thinking is appreciated.

Adderall still helps everything but not enough to get me to stop focusing on negative thoughts.

Nortriptyline 10mg
Adderall IR 10mg 3x/day

Snoopy10
03-10-17, 10:09 AM
Just an update on this, I went off. I couldn't function. It may have been side effects but I felt extremely anxious, tired, hot flashes, dry mouth so bad I couldn't talk and disoriented.

I guess I just have to deal with migraines. At least I can take Imitrex when they are bad.

Postulate
03-10-17, 12:21 PM
You could have too much adrenaline, take a look at what you get for taking the medication:

https://s21.postimg.org/orxl9qb13/Untitled.jpg

I marked in red all known anxiety inducing receptors, in yellow those I don't know if they can induce anxiety or not and in green those that should reduce anxiety. The way it works is the smaller the number the bigger the effect.

It's quite a cocktail you have there but one could assume that, since Adderall gives you tons of adrenaline, that your anti-migraine medication increases adrenaline even more, and if you drink coffee on top of it...eeeek! Wouldn't wana experience it :)

You can talk to your doctor about clonidine or intuniv and see if that would be able to reduce your migraines, by acting at the source rather than treating the symptoms.