View Full Version : Sluggish ADD? How do I tell my doctor?

Celtic
03-06-17, 10:56 AM
Hi all!
I think I have this sluggish ADD. I definitely have ADD symptoms and have been diagnosed with it. But I always tell my doctor how I have no energy and feel frozen and unable to do anything. I move so slowly that I'm always walking behind people. I can't get anything done at all! Nothing helps not reminders or people telling me. I just have no energy. I take a vitamin B stress tab along with 5-htp. I have taken Ritalin which helped but has quit working then I took Adderall which didn't work. Now I'm on focalin and I'm hoping it might start working. But how do I tell my doctor? I don't think he gets all the different types of ADD. To him it's either ADHD or ADD. Period. I love my doctor, I trust him and have been with him for 15 years. I have bipolar, anxiety and panic disorder. He's helped me through it all. Now my ADD needs help and I don't know what to do. Does it sound like sluggish ADD? I daydream a lot (used to get in trouble in school). My focus and attention are not good and I have no motivation. Please help!!! Thank you so much!!!💕

dvdnvwls
03-06-17, 03:04 PM
Doctors have to go "by the book" on this stuff, and in the book there's no such thing as sluggish ADD.

But anyway, it doesn't matter. You don't need an exotic diagnosis; all you need is the most effective treatment your doctor knows.

If you think this doctor doesn't know how to treat you, then go to one who does. But please keep in mind that "sluggish ADD" is, at least currently, not a thing - and a doctor who believes in it is just being trendy, because there's no good reason to believe it so far.

I hope you stick with this doctor.

Celtic
03-06-17, 03:34 PM
Thanks! My doctor is very good and I practically love the guy! He knows I'm a sluggish slug. He has taken me off Paxil and put me on Wellbutrin cuz he thinks that might help me. I guess time will tell...Tamye

Cyllya
03-07-17, 12:11 AM
The different ADHD presentations are just symptom clusters. (That applies to the official ones in the DSM, but I think the unofficial ones like "sluggish ADD" as well.) If your psychiatrist doesn't understand your description of your symptoms, that's a problem on its own, but the medical treatment is the same for all.

It sounds like the "primarily inattentive presentation" is accurate for you.

Pilgrim
03-07-17, 03:46 AM
I would give detailed history here. If your dr can't help go to another one.

BellaVita
03-07-17, 03:58 AM
Have you looked into medical conditions that might be contributing to your lack of energy?

I think you should bring up to your GP that you would like to get tested for anemia and perhaps things like hypothyroidism and low vitamin D.

Those issues can contribute to a huge lack of energy and feeling slow - and make your ADHD worse. Best to at least rule them out.

sarahsweets
03-10-17, 05:47 AM
Hi all!
I think I have this sluggish ADD. I definitely have ADD symptoms and have been diagnosed with it. But I always tell my doctor how I have no energy and feel frozen and unable to do anything. I move so slowly that I'm always walking behind people. I can't get anything done at all! Nothing helps not reminders or people telling me. I just have no energy. I take a vitamin B stress tab along with 5-htp. I have taken Ritalin which helped but has quit working then I took Adderall which didn't work. Now I'm on focalin and I'm hoping it might start working. But how do I tell my doctor? I don't think he gets all the different types of ADD. To him it's either ADHD or ADD. Period. I love my doctor, I trust him and have been with him for 15 years. I have bipolar, anxiety and panic disorder. He's helped me through it all. Now my ADD needs help and I don't know what to do. Does it sound like sluggish ADD? I daydream a lot (used to get in trouble in school). My focus and attention are not good and I have no motivation. Please help!!! Thank you so much!!!💕

I dont think there is such a thing as sluggish add, and now its not add anymore either, its just adhd with different variations or emphasis on certain symptoms. A lot of us are what used to be called 'combined' which is sort of like inattentive and hyperactive symptoms. A lot of people shy away from the hyperactive part because they think of little boys running around an yelling but IME hyperactivity can also be very mental. Like a hamster wheel turning that is distinct from something like bipolar mania.

InnSaei
04-30-17, 08:35 PM
What you're thinking of is something called "slow cognitive tempo" and it isn't in the current DSM at this time. But it is something being studied and is supposed to appear in the next DSM manual.