View Full Version : I'm Scared to Death Of...

traze23
03-08-17, 12:43 PM
...Dogs and cats and I have no idea why. This has been the case for basically all my life and this isn't just a little fear. I hate to be around them and I hate touch them. Maybe its because they are so unpredictable, idk but this is something that I have struggled with mightly. I talked to my therapist about this and as with basically every issue I have brought up, he thinks its no big deal, I'm over exxagerating and its not a problem?!?!

My biggest fear is one day a dog without a leash is going to chase me and I'm going to run into the street and get hit by a car. It doesn't matter how small or big, if they chase I will run like my life depended on it. Furthermore, there are idiots out there who walk their dog w/o a leash especially by my house which drives me nuts.

How does one get over a debilitating fear such as this?

aeon
03-08-17, 01:27 PM

GAD diagnosis, exposure therapy, and benzos. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Yaisse.gif

Cheers,
Ian

Johnny Slick
03-08-17, 01:30 PM
BUY A PUPPER AND LOVE THE FEAR AWAY!!!!!!

I don't know, actually, sorry. I do feel like a lot of people with mental conditions in general, including but not limited to ADHD, find that they can sometimes relate to animals better than they can with humans. Dogs in particular have the mental capacity of 3 year old humans - if you feed them and play with them and take them out for plenty of walks and exercise, they provide you with an unnerving amount of love in return. If you're more interested in disdain there are always cats. :p

I'm guessing you weren't raised with pets as a child? I feel like I've heard this kind of anxiety primarily from people who weren't around animals so much when they were little. I think you know that your thought processes are irrational here but just because they're irrational doesn't mean they aren't meaningful to you...

aeon
03-08-17, 01:32 PM
If you're more interested in disdain there are always cats. :p

Classic! http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Comik.gif

Lulz,
Ian

Postulate
03-08-17, 01:35 PM
...Dogs and cats and I have no idea why. This has been the case for basically all my life and this isn't just a little fear. I hate to be around them and I hate touch them. Maybe its because they are so unpredictable, idk but this is something that I have struggled with mightly. I talked to my therapist about this and as with basically every issue I have brought up, he thinks its no big deal, I'm over exxagerating and its not a problem?!?!

My biggest fear is one day a dog without a leash is going to chase me and I'm going to run into the street and get hit by a car. It doesn't matter how small or big, if they chase I will run like my life depended on it. Furthermore, there are idiots out there who walk their dog w/o a leash especially by my house which drives me nuts.

Are you currently employed, working for pay and occupying a leadership position, like a manager, where you have the authority to hire/fire and can set the rate of pay of other employees? If not, have you ever occupied such a position, and how would you describe your leadership skills?

Fuzzy12
03-08-17, 02:30 PM
Your therapist doesn't sound very good. Just because it's mot a problem for HIM it doesn't mean it's not a big deal.

I'm terribly afraid of insects. Irrational as well but that doesn't make it less scary.

Maybe start small. Look at pics of puppies and kittens abd see how you feel. ( having said that I can't even imagine looking at pics of cockroaches without feeling stressed...uggh)

midnightstar
03-08-17, 02:39 PM
What Fuzzy said, your therapist needs to help you find ways of coping with it, not turning round and going "oh dear never mind it's not a problem".

And Postulate, can you explain what you're getting at please? I for one am not really following where you're going with your post.

Postulate
03-08-17, 03:07 PM
What Fuzzy said, your therapist needs to help you find ways of coping with it, not turning round and going "oh dear never mind it's not a problem".

And Postulate, can you explain what you're getting at please? I for one am not really following where you're going with your post.

I'm not an expert but myself, I couldn't stand dogs at first, and, I discovered that about me, that my leadership skills needed some polishing, so I got a nice Maltese and believe me, if you can get the small guy to obey you, you're half a C.E.O. in terms of leadership :)

traze23
03-08-17, 08:28 PM
Are you currently employed, working for pay and occupying a leadership position, like a manager, where you have the authority to hire/fire and can set the rate of pay of other employees? If not, have you ever occupied such a position, and how would you describe your leadership skills?

No I have not. I have horrible leadership skills especially since I'm so shy and quite.

Postulate
03-08-17, 08:53 PM
No I have not. I have horrible leadership skills especially since I'm so shy and quite.

Well, I guess that would be the problem. I would combine anxiety groups with leadership courses, like, I took a leadership course years ago where you basically have to present a topic and defend it, show its value, even while answering aggressive questions and judgements from the audience.

I don't know it was moderately useful.

dvdnvwls
03-08-17, 09:30 PM
One part of this:

Recognize that this is not random - you have reasons. The reasons you have are not good reasons, because they're leading you to behave in ways that aren't helping anything or anyone - but they're still your reasons. Allowing yourself to examine your thought process in great detail, revealing to yourself what logic really goes through your mind at those times, may lead you a step or two closer to getting what you need. Logic and reason may fail to fix the problem, but they might be effective at showing you more clearly where the problem is.

When doing that kind of detective work, it's important not to edit your thoughts - you have to be really truthful and "raw" with yourself. You might find out (for example) that when you were two years old you developed a belief about animals, the type of belief that seems very silly when you look at it now. Or... any other thing. Explore with curiosity.

Pilgrim
03-08-17, 11:16 PM
Dogs are a mans best friend.

midnightstar
03-09-17, 02:54 AM
Dogs and cats can save people's lives, two of the cats I have had have saved my life before :)

Fuzzy12
03-09-17, 03:50 AM
Well, I guess that would be the problem. I would combine anxiety groups with leadership courses, like, I took a leadership course years ago where you basically have to present a topic and defend it, show its value, even while answering aggressive questions and judgements from the audience.

I don't know it was moderately useful.

Do you get along better now with the neighbourhood cats and dogs?:)

Johnny Slick
03-09-17, 10:50 AM
Ten years ago I was an inch and a half shorter than I am today. Sheer willpower. Incidentally, all dogs love me.

stef
03-09-17, 10:56 AM
I'm not an expert but myself, I couldn't stand dogs at first, and, I discovered that about me, that my leadership skills needed some polishing, so I got a nice Maltese and believe me, if you can get the small guy to obey you, you're half a C.E.O. in terms of leadership :)

A phobia though, may not necessarily be incompatible in a leadership position:

https://www.google.fr/amp/dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/10/31/famous-north-texans-lives-with-long-list-of-phobias/amp/

Postulate
03-09-17, 03:21 PM
Do you get along better now with the neighbourhood cats and dogs?:)

No but I became more attractive for females from UK for some reason. I don't know how that happened.

Fuzzy12
03-09-17, 06:12 PM
No but I became more attractive for females from UK for some reason. I don't know how that happened.

Beats me..

namazu
03-09-17, 06:15 PM
MODERATOR NOTE: Please stay on topic.