View Full Version : tense, tight neck and shoulder muscles on adderall

Fly Away
06-07-05, 09:58 PM
I have had tight, tense shoulder and neck muscles for months now. I think it is the adderall or a combination of the adderall and the antidepressant I am on. Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do for it?

relvinnian
06-08-05, 12:02 AM
This is one of the effects of sympathomimetics like Adderall. If you are taking an antidepressant that works via the catecholamines like strattera, desipramine, nortrityline, amitriptyline, imipramine, or wellbutrin they can also aggravate or cause these effects.

Sometimes these symtoms can be alleviated with basic maintenance such as diet, exersize, and proper sleep.

Chadwick
06-08-05, 03:07 AM
It happened to me and went away after a while. I have been told it may be due to nutritional deficiencies arising from the way amphetamines work in the body, e.g. possible magnesium, zinc, etc. deficiencies. Eat a very healthy diet, a good multivitamin, fish oil (1g of EPA & 1g of DHA, daily), and extra magnesium citrate and zinc citrate or zinc aspartate daily.

Part of this may also arise from the activity of levoamphetamine which may have more peripheral activity than dextroamphetamine. Adderall is of course 75% dextro/25% levo. Your doctor could prescribe you dextroamphetamine if ultimately diet, sleep, vitamins/supplements, etc., don't help you. Just switching to dextroamphetamine may be all that you need, but at least experiment first with my suggestions and those of relvinnian.

MTMT
06-08-05, 04:17 AM
Interesting, I've had chronic neck and shoulder pain for years and I've felt better since I started Adderall. I think the drug may relax me, so that I'm not unconsciously clenching my neck muscles as much as usual. I also feel more fearless on Adderall. A bodyworker once told me that a lot of neck strain comes from walking around unconsciously feeling that someone is going to figuratively bite your head off and clenching up as a self-protective gesture.

Just my experience.

Perhaps you are on too high a dose of Adderall. Also, are you taking anything like DMAE, which I've read can cause tight neck muscles. (Or eating too many sardines, which are high in DMAE). By the way, I had an idiosyncratic reaction to mega doses of fish oil supplementation - I became crazy irritable. (Had the same reaction when I tried the diet drug Meridia -- something of a SNRI drug - years ago). Everyone else seems to swear by fish oil supplementation.

Life's an experiment.

Fly Away
06-08-05, 09:37 AM
This is one of the effects of sympathomimetics like Adderall. If you are taking an antidepressant that works via the catecholamines like strattera, desipramine, nortrityline, amitriptyline, imipramine, or wellbutrin they can also aggravate or cause these effects.

Sometimes these symtoms can be alleviated with basic maintenance such as diet, exersize, and proper sleep.
I suspected that it had to do with the combination of medication. I was on an SNRI and now am on wellbutrin. I have been off of adderall for 3 days and my neck is feeling better. I also had a terrible day yesterday and felt discouraged because I really needed the adderall.

Fly Away
06-08-05, 09:38 AM
It happened to me and went away after a while. I have been told it may be due to nutritional deficiencies arising from the way amphetamines work in the body, e.g. possible magnesium, zinc, etc. deficiencies. Eat a very healthy diet, a good multivitamin, fish oil (1g of EPA & 1g of DHA, daily), and extra magnesium citrate and zinc citrate or zinc aspartate daily.

Part of this may also arise from the activity of levoamphetamine which may have more peripheral activity than dextroamphetamine. Adderall is of course 75% dextro/25% levo. Your doctor could prescribe you dextroamphetamine if ultimately diet, sleep, vitamins/supplements, etc., don't help you. Just switching to dextroamphetamine may be all that you need, but at least experiment first with my suggestions and those of relvinnian.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will pay more attention to my diet and see if that helps.

Fly Away
06-08-05, 09:42 AM
Interesting, I've had chronic neck and shoulder pain for years and I've felt better since I started Adderall. I think the drug may relax me, so that I'm not unconsciously clenching my neck muscles as much as usual. I also feel more fearless on Adderall. A bodyworker once told me that a lot of neck strain comes from walking around unconsciously feeling that someone is going to figuratively bite your head off and clenching up as a self-protective gesture.

Just my experience.

Perhaps you are on too high a dose of Adderall. Also, are you taking anything like DMAE, which I've read can cause tight neck muscles. (Or eating too many sardines, which are high in DMAE). By the way, I had an idiosyncratic reaction to mega doses of fish oil supplementation - I became crazy irritable. (Had the same reaction when I tried the diet drug Meridia -- something of a SNRI drug - years ago). Everyone else seems to swear by fish oil supplementation.

Life's an experiment.
Mentally I feel relaxed also but this seems to me to be a physical reaction that has accumulated over time from the meds. My dose of adderall is quite low (10 mg 2 x a day) so I don't think its from too high of a dose.

BTW you won't ever catch me eating too many sardines! That I know for sure! :D Thanks for your comments.

Nucking_Futs
06-08-05, 10:06 AM
Have you tried stretching? My son and I get tense and achy muscles with or without meds lol we are very high strung people. But, I've found that stretching 3 times daily helps a lot, I will stretch after getting out of bed, in the afternoon and before going to bed. I've also found that the more water I drink during the day the less severe my muscles tense.

Tangerine
06-08-05, 10:40 AM
I'm copying/pasting part of a thread that I started having to do with the same thing that you're experiencing:

Side effects of Adderall

I've been taking Adderall for about two weeks now. At first, I was on 10mg, twice daily. I didn't notice that my symptoms had improved so a week later, he upped it to 20mg twice daily and 10mg in the evening as needed for my night job.

The first day of taking this medication, I noticed I had dry mouth, and I wasn't hungry, which I could deal with. Lately, I've been having strange side effects that no one else that I've seen online has ever had. My throat gets tight and feel like ther are muscle knots all down my throat. My bottom teeth get sore, like the feeling you get after you floss too much. And my tounge and jaw get really tight. As a result, when I speak, I can't pronounce things properly, and sound like I have a serious lisp, or some kind of speech impediment. It's almost painful at times.

I have tried taking just 10mg twice daily, but get the symptoms, regardless of the dose.

Not sure if this is a psycological thing, or if I'm allergic to this drug or what. Stopping taking the medication has crossed my mind numerous times, but I know I couldn't get anything done without it. And I feel extremely tired when it wears off. I dread taking another dose because of the pain and tightness in my throat and jaw/chin/neck, but I know this is something you must taper off of.

I thought perhaps this could be happening because I'm taking generic Adderall, the blue ones that say 972, and the orange ones that say 973. I have read that people react differently to generics than they do to brand name. If I bring this up to my doc, I don't want him to look at me like I'm crazy. But I have done reasearch on the bio-equivalence of generic vs. brand name Adderall, and from what I gather, there's a huge difference. But still small in the grand scheme of things. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

My symptoms were close to yours. I had to stop taking Adderall because of the side effects. Discontinuation of the drug was the only thing that helped these side effects. I'm now on Ritalin generic made by Celltech called Methylin and it works great.

Good luck!

relvinnian
06-08-05, 01:37 PM
Funny thing is that symapthetics can cause both tension and musculoskeletal pain, as well as reduce tension and especially neuropathic pain. The noradrendergic enhancers seem to have a more profound analgesic effect.

As Chadwick said, this can be a transient effect. When I started taking stimulants I had alot of tension, but now I actually feel significantly more relaxed.

shalenna
06-08-05, 02:58 PM
Fly Away- Man, do I ever feel you pain....since I have been taking the Adderrol for a week now I have felt better overall, but had a somewhat tense feeling in my neck/shoulders. Not unbearable, but noticable when typing at the computer. I drink a ton of water and exercise daily. Now, as of yesterday, I began started taking thyroid supplments....when I woke up today, I thought someone had knocked me in the back of the neck with a 2x4 , almost like a real bad crick... Iam not sure if its all related to the combo of meds(tyroid meds are also used in some cases as anti-depressant)since I was also wakeboarding yesterday, which puts major stress on that area alone....But to give credit to your concern, yes the tension is there on Adderrol alone and waiting to see if after all the soarness from boarding goes away does the neck pain remain!!?? Then I will know if its the combo...will let u know.

Chadwick
06-08-05, 05:14 PM
My symptoms were close to yours. I had to stop taking Adderall because of the side effects. Discontinuation of the drug was the only thing that helped these side effects. I'm now on Ritalin generic made by Celltech called Methylin and it works great.

Good luck!
Interesting. Do you know if that poster had been on Adderall for an extended period of time, or did he/she discontinue use relatively quickly when he/she felt this side effect? Not knowing either way, I wonder if a longer time spent on the medication and adherence to a healthier diet and/or supplemental regimen might have cured or significantly ameliorated this side effect.

To be clear: I am not using Adderall anymore (mixed amphetamine salts). I am instead prescribed dextroamphetamine, which may in theory have fewer or less intense peripheral (non-brain) effects/side-effects. I am however very certain that after a while, my muscular pain (especially in my neck) went away WHILE I was on Adderall. It might have been time building up immunity to that side effect (if that indeed occurs) or my combination of supplements, I do not know.

Fly Away
06-10-05, 09:06 AM
I haven't taken the adderall for 5 days now and I can feel a definite improvement with the tight muscles. I have found that the 'cure' is worse than the 'disease' when it comes to taking this medication. I have had some definite benefits from adderall but feel its too hard on my body. I don't think I am up to trying out any new medication for awhile so maybe I'll take the summer off adderall and see how it goes. I just switched antidepressants 3 weeks ago and these changes take alot out of me emotionally so I just want to regroup.

Chadwick
06-11-05, 04:12 PM
Please discuss dextroamphetamine with your psychiatrist. There is a chance that it may have fewer side effects for you.

Obiwan
06-11-05, 09:18 PM
When I was switched from Ritalin to Adderall, I had headaches for about the first 3-4 days, and muscle aches in my neck and shoulders for about 2-3weeks. I started drinking more water as I thought dehydration might be the issue and that helped a little. Then I started taking a multi-vitamin in the morning along with a mag. sup. Almost all aches were gone in 48hrs, and completely in about one week.

Chadwick
06-12-05, 02:02 PM
Now it'd be nice if we could pin down precisely what eased your muscular pain, was it your body's (not brain) tolerance to the medication finally kicking in, or was it the addition of vitamins/minerals that perhaps amphetamine was depleting? It's hard to say, unfortunately.

Fly Away
06-12-05, 11:10 PM
Now it'd be nice if we could pin down precisely what eased your muscular pain, was it your body's (not brain) tolerance to the medication finally kicking in, or was it the addition of vitamins/minerals that perhaps amphetamine was depleting? It's hard to say, unfortunately.If you are asking me this question I did not take any vitamins yet. The only thing I changed was stopping adderall. I've been on adderall for several months (8-9 months) and if I were to make a quess i think my body just was getting depleted. I should of taken vitamins! I was starting to feel run down. I posted in another thread that the adderall puts me into 'overfocus' way too much and I run myself into the ground. I am kind of prone to that anyway- and with the adderall it just seems to push me that way so I tend to not eat right or get enough sleep. I think my body just needed a break.

I will keep in mind what you said about trying the other medication. I am giving myself a medication break to see where I am and what I've learned since I was dx'd 9 months ago. I want to be able to compare with my new perspective.