View Full Version : TOVA Test - Barely passed

cameronm
03-13-17, 07:36 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum here, and look forward to being a part of the community!

So, today was the day...I had the pleasurable experience of sitting in a room for 20 long minutes taking the tova test. Results ended up being a score of 2.8. With that, the psychiatrist I'm seeing now stated he could begin treatment and be placed on adderall (I declined), but pushed me to do the audio portion. I'm concerned that the psychiatrist is placing a large portion of the diagnosis on the test. At this point, I'm not sure if I should see another doctor or continue the test. I definitely don't want to be taking drugs for the wrong thing.

Yet, none of this explains why I can't read a book or when people speak with me and what they say just fades away before my brain can even process it. Further, these issues have been with me for as long as I can remember, barely getting through high school. Luckily I found my passions in IT (I tore apart my first laptop 2 weeks after my parents got it for Christmas lol) and programming at a young age....I was able to be successful at it professionally without ever going to college. So, I've always found it to be more of a blessing than a curse. Office meetings sure do suck though :/ - especially when you're talking about enterprise resource planning systems....(zzzz....can I just go back and do my programming? Don't ask me a question, because I sure as s*** won't be able to answer it accurately.)

What do y'all think? Get a new psychiatrist? I've ignored myself for so long in dealing with this, but I've never felt so turned off by it (mentally and financially) till now. :(

mctavish23
03-13-17, 10:30 PM
Please remember there are absolutely NO TESTS of ANY kind, approved for the sole

purpose of diagnosing ADHD, including & especially computerized Continuous Performance

Tests (CPT's).

Good Luck and I hope that helps.

mctavish23

(Robert)

sarahsweets
03-14-17, 05:22 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum here, and look forward to being a part of the community!

So, today was the day...I had the pleasurable experience of sitting in a room for 20 long minutes taking the tova test. Results ended up being a score of 2.8. With that, the psychiatrist I'm seeing now stated he could begin treatment and be placed on adderall (I declined),
Why did you decline medication?

but pushed me to do the audio portion. I'm concerned that the psychiatrist is placing a large portion of the diagnosis on the test. At this point, I'm not sure if I should see another doctor or continue the test. I definitely don't want to be taking drugs for the wrong thing.

Yes, there are no tests for adhd, but some tests are useful at ruling out other disorders and making sense of other symptoms. Is there a reason why you do not want to consider medication?

Yet, none of this explains why I can't read a book or when people speak with me and what they say just fades away before my brain can even process it. Further, these issues have been with me for as long as I can remember, barely getting through high school. Luckily I found my passions in IT (I tore apart my first laptop 2 weeks after my parents got it for Christmas lol) and programming at a young age....I was able to be successful at it professionally without ever going to college. So, I've always found it to be more of a blessing than a curse. Office meetings sure do suck though :/ - especially when you're talking about enterprise resource planning systems....(zzzz....can I just go back and do my programming? Don't ask me a question, because I sure as s*** won't be able to answer it accurately.)

The test might not explain any of your symptoms because the tests are not directly related to adhd. Like I said, they can be useful for other things but as far as adhd goes, a doctor's evau is the standard. I would be wary too, if the doctor seems to be basing everything on these results.

cameronm
03-14-17, 10:04 AM
Good Morning sarahsweets! Thanks for the reply :)

The psychiatrist gave me 2 options:
1) Take the meds and do the audio portion in a few weeks.
2) Take the audio portion before a decision is made. - His recommendation

At the time, I decided to go with the psychiatrist's advice and set up the audio test for next Monday. It wasn't until I read the forums here that those sorts of tests tend to not be accurate. However, chronic depression and ADHD does run in my family...my mother attempted suicide a few months ago (she was going through a really rough divorce - but seems to be really happy now) and her sister killed herself decades back. My sister is currently under a prescription for Vyvanse. So, this is always running in the back of my mind....what if I'm just depressed? The approach the psychiatrist is taking with these tests is concerning, especially with the lack of depth in the conversations we have. I just wish to be diagnosed with the correct thing, and not have the decision based on a video game.

dvdnvwls
03-14-17, 03:33 PM
Did the doctor explain why this test was useful?

If he suspected some other disorder and wanted to make sure it wasn't that, well, that deserves consideration.

But in terms of relying on this test to indicate ADHD... no.

Cyllya
03-15-17, 03:10 AM
Good Morning sarahsweets! Thanks for the reply :)

The psychiatrist gave me 2 options:
1) Take the meds and do the audio portion in a few weeks.
2) Take the audio portion before a decision is made. - His recommendation

At the time, I decided to go with the psychiatrist's advice and set up the audio test for next Monday. It wasn't until I read the forums here that those sorts of tests tend to not be accurate. However, chronic depression and ADHD does run in my family...my mother attempted suicide a few months ago (she was going through a really rough divorce - but seems to be really happy now) and her sister killed herself decades back. My sister is currently under a prescription for Vyvanse. So, this is always running in the back of my mind....what if I'm just depressed? The approach the psychiatrist is taking with these tests is concerning, especially with the lack of depth in the conversations we have. I just wish to be diagnosed with the correct thing, and not have the decision based on a video game.

All psychiatric diagnostic labels are clinical diagnoses, meaning they are based on the doctor's judgment of symptoms rather than something objective like having a certain amount of something show up in a blood test. A bunch of the symptoms in the diagnostic criteria are observable behaviors instead of actual symptoms displayed by the patient, and a bunch of conditions have half the same symptoms as ten other conditions. So don't get too hung up on the precision of the diagnostic label.

The treatments you have access to are often based on which diagnosis you get, but that is based on which diagnosis (symptom group) tends to get most help from which drugs. For example, Strattera was developed with the intention of it being an antidepressant. It didn't help enough with depression, but it helped with ADHD, so now it's an ADHD drug instead. Amphetamine (Adderall) was originally sold as a decongestant, later a weight loss drug, and I think it was an antidepressant for a while, and it's currently used for ADHD and narcolepsy. It still gets prescribed for depression (and eating disorders); it's just not the first choice. A large portion of people with any psychiatric condition have to try out multiple drugs, doses, dose schedules, etc, before they find the one that works right.

I think it's often a good idea to err on the side of stimulants over SSRIs and SNRIs because
a) they usually have less crappy side effects
b) they usually have less crappy and shorter withdrawal effects
c) it doesn't take as long to start working, so if it's not going to work, you'll find out sooner and can more quickly move onto the next attempt

kilted_scotsman
03-15-17, 08:31 AM
I've a whole lot of questions.... but they mainly revolve around why you're looking for a diagnosis. What is driving this, is it relational (wanting more rewarding relationships), work (wanting to achieve potential at work) or self-esteem?

I'd also be wary of the psych.... a good ADHD eval is a long process, many hours of in depth conversations cognitive tests etc.

My recommendation would be to find a good therapist and talk this stuff through. If you have a troubled family history some of your issues might be associated with this.