View Full Version : Vocals Only, Janis Joplin & Grace Slick

salleh
03-14-17, 12:29 AM
....the Grace Slick one just showed up on my Facebook feed, posted by a friend of mine ....when I went to youtube to be able to post it here ....I found the Janis Joplin one ....

.....Grace Slick was the female vocalist of a group known as Jefferson Airplane, and they were one of the top bands to come out of San Francisco in the mid to late 60s......this is one of the toppest of the top of their best ....it's very trippy to hear just the vocal part of a tune, one that I personally heard about ...oh say, 11`ka-jillion times .....the girl can sing ....

...Grace Slick sang with the magic of acid ....this song came out in the period where mind altering drugs were at the height of their usage....hence the lyrics.....

skip to about 24 seconds or so ....

.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4GoAH363o

...Then ...here's the amazing voice of Janis Joplin ....the female vocalist of another of the toppest of the top bands who came out of San Francisco ....( ok, others are Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Grateful Dead, MOby Grape....there were more, but most of the others are but a dim memory in the minds of people my age ....but they were all lords of music, and no one, I mean NO ONE was ever quite so cool as a musician from that era .....

....Our music tied our generation together in a way that no other generation shared ....sure, each generation has it's own music, but we were the break out generation.....we did not want to follow what earlier generations of AMericans ( here, and it was part of our generation in each country) ...we were handed a world with so much potential, but so much sorrow....we had a vision of what mankind could really achieve, and it wasn't about gathering money, or conquering other countries ....it was about being your true self, being aware of other beings who shared this planet, caring for the planet after so many generations had raped her ....

...We wanted to stop war, we wanted equal rights for women, and people of color, we wanted to save the planet from the rape by gigantic soulless corporations, and smoke and chemicals polluted our air, until it was barely breathable, and our waters, rivers, lakes, were almost dead from the stuff those same corporations dumped more chemicals and who know what into with impunity....we wanted to grow our own food, or at the very least eat food that did us more good than harm...

....We wanted to care for each other ....not to stomp them into dust ...we really believed in peace and love ....corny as it sounds now,....we thought we could lead the world into new understanding and communication ....that the spirit was the most important part of any being ....

....H*** we wanted to get high and giggle a lot too ! we wanted to dance to our own tunes ....and po-leese, no set steps ...just freak freely and get in the groove ...( sigh)

.....And for one brief shining moment, we almost made it happen ....it was magic to be alive and young and connected with each other ...

.....OK it was mostly stupid...and we learned that reality ain't all that nice ....and that it takes a lot more than goodwill, and a desire to hold a hand out to those in need ....and especially we learned that there are some really nasty people out there....

...and a whole bunch of other stuff too ....

...but the legacy that I think, stands up to the test of time is the music we made and shared and lived .....the good stuff is still mind bogglingly good ...and magic was really and truly made in that short window of time that was about 1967 to 1970/1 .......

.....Here's Janis, a young woman who had lived a life misunderstood in the Texas town she grew up in ....but took that rejection of her peers and soared ....leaving those petty judgmental teenage tyrants in the dust ...( gotta love how they were shown up by someone they stuck their noses in the air about ..heh)

.....Her pain started early in life, and by the time this was recorded, she knew how to express that pain better than almost anyone in modern musical history....she flew high, and flamed out so young .......

Vocals start about 24 secs in, and cut out a couple of times ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txb7KmAQVmA

salleh
03-14-17, 12:39 AM
Shoot, now I've done it .....

Here's "8:05" by Moby Grape, beautiful lyrics, haunting melody ...one of the lovliest songs ever written and sung by humans ....short, but perfect ....

I can get high just listening to this song ....

put headphones on ....and soar away with us ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKodbNTljg

salleh
03-14-17, 01:29 AM
"You've poisoned my sweet water....." ....opening line of this powerful song by Quicksilver Messenger Service ....

....I was just off checking about some of their songs ...and they have quite a group of songs, edgy, relevant, screaming musicians ....powerful band ....every one of them is world class .....

....THey were rarely if ever heard on mainstream radio....word of mouth, and of course concerts, and the most far out of the underground FM radio stations played them every now and then ....

...IT's been more than 40 years since this band stood on stage and blasted the audience with this song ....put on headphones ...and realize that not much has changed really ....lots of us tried very hard to stop big money ....

some progress was made ....we can breathe the air in most of our cities now ....

..This song is the very epitome of music in the 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvjXhUSUpU

salleh
03-14-17, 01:44 AM
....Another band ....in the obscure column .....but those of us in the Bay area, who were extremely hip ( cough) found this band and became devout followers ....

First saw them in San Jose ....the stage held the musicians....and they played ...the bass lines opening ....got our attention ...then the horn section kicked in ...

a strange looking groups, a couple of your traditional long-hairs and a mean wicked trumpet played by what appeared to be an IBM technition....short hair, black glasses, chinos and a plaid short-sleeved shirt...???? ...

and we were all digging the music....and then .....this little tiny blond strode out onstage like she owned the place, pick up her mike, and nailed the entire crowd to the back wall .....

no one was ready for that voice to come out of this little blond .....she shoulda been 3 times her size to own a voice like this ....

I bought her album the next day ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZQYV9njOu4

Luvmybully
03-14-17, 01:03 PM
Wonderful thoughts Salleh! It really was a tremendous time, musically and socially.

So cool to hear just the vocals!

salleh
03-14-17, 10:02 PM
.....I can't imagine those years without the music.....one of the things I most love to do is noodle around youtube following my impulses that lead me from one musician or group to the next .....those musical adventure almost always start by accident ....something happens, a song posted on FB ....I hear a song on the way home ...I think of an old friend, and want to hear one of their tunes .....and before you can say ...where'd Salleh go ? ...I am roaming the back roads of my memories,, sometimes lead by eras, sometimes by music styles ...sometimes incredibly random ....

....I also love to read the comments for each song .....there are some great insights into our culture, the music, and personal experiences and mental awakening .....and epiphanies....

...and as is common for folks my age, many of us actually saw these musicians live ....like the bumper stickers say ...I may be old but I got to see all the great bands ....and it was always a thrill to see a band when they first start out .....for example ....one night at UC Irvine, I saw Janis and BIg Brother, and they co-headlined with Country Joe and the FIsh ....( they were HUGE in 1968) and the opening band was a group called ......Led Zepplin ......they opened for those other 2 bands ....heh ....

....By the way ...the loudest band I ever heard was Cream .....3 guys made more noise than humanly possible .....and what's more, they sang on key, and you could understand most of the words ....

...These people were musicians .....true musicians .....I saw Traffic in 1967 in a smallish venue ....and my eyes almost fell out of my head, when between songs, they would all exchange instruments ....wow ....

...There was a youth revolution going on....and we were leading the rest of the revolutions that were happening at the same time ....it was so exciting to be young and alive and curious .....of course, I am a female, and I didn't face the draft like most of the young men faced ...and that was very nasty indeed .....and I was 18 in 1968, and living in California, the happening place to be ....and warm in the winter .....just starting college ....it was the very best of times ......cause we knew we were going to change the world .....( ah youthful idealism )

....I just wish I knew what happened to so many of the people of my generation ...I am still a hippie, my values haven't changed over the years .....I think they are good values.....but there aren't many of us left who hold on to our youthful beliefs....

Luvmybully
03-14-17, 10:11 PM
Yes! Salleh! Music is the universal language.

You saw Led Zepellin?? I am JEALOUS!

I soooo sooo get you on the musical journeys and getting swept away in YouTube land. One thing leads to another, to another...but it brings so much JOY.

For me, it is classical music and opera. I get lost thinking about the CENTURIES this music has been played and sung and loved. Thinking about how many people have sung these songs, and they are STILL fabulous. Each singer brings their own unique touch, to keep it alive for the next singer to come along.

Your generation certainly were MONUMENTAL in our country's history. THANK YOU for being so vocal, and passionate, about LOVE and equality.

We owe you.

salleh
03-15-17, 04:24 AM
When I say I `saw "all the great bands" ....I meant that .....saw the Beatles at the HOllywood Bowl, in 1965, 3rd row box seats, center ...( couldn't hear a thing ....many many girls screaming ....) same summer, saw Bob Dylan at the Bowl too....but in the nose bleed section ...but is was in his 2nd set that he brought out his electric guitar and a group called "The Band" and scandalized everyone ...."Philistine!!" was the cry ...saw Simon and Garfunkel, Traffic, Jefferson Airplane, Lee MIchaels, THe Moody Blues, .....Jeff Beck, when his lead singer was a guy named .......Rod Stewart...Saw the Chambers Brothers, Cream, Janis, LEd Zep, Quicksilver, Steve Stills and Manassas, COuntry JOe, Chicago, Donovan, PHoebe Snow, Hoyt Axton, tThe Band, LIttle Richard, BB King, ALbert KIng, Maria Muldaur, NItty Gritty DIrt Band, Emmylou Harris, The Beach Boys, the ALlman Brothers, Steve MIller,

....and those are just the names I can remember right off the top of my head ....there's more that I'd have to look through records or something ....to jog my memory ....

..and Yah our generation made some big changes both politically and culturally...but then again, it would have been almost impossible for us not to ....boomers were the most lavishly raised generation in history....and one of the largest ...and it was in the biggest economic boom periods in US history....

and dawgies ....we were a huge generation ...I think the way we were raised, is why so many of us spent our young adulthood with high ideals and hopes for raised consciousness .....it was inevitable that we became who we became .....I am proud of what we stood for ....

WHat I am not proud of is how many of us lost our way and the almighty dollar charmed and lured so many down that materialist path as we matured ....raising children and finally starting to actually work so that we could make a living caused too many of us to throw away our youthful ideals ......too much trouble ...too much work to try to raise the chance of a good life for all .....and our viewpoints narrowed and tighened to include only our own families ....and maybe a neighbor or 2, or good friends ....but mostly...it narrowed to just family .....

....and we failed to raise our kids to want justice for everyone .....just look around .now ...

...we dropped the ball, which turned out to be made of china, instead of rubber ....so it shattered instead of bouncing back ....

....For me this music is not only the outpouring of dedicated and talented musicians, in a kind of giant world wide brainstorming of musical works, building upon each others work, resulting in a massive library of truly outstanding musical works, which I hope are destined to live for at least many decades...but the really good stuff, should be studied and played for centuries ....just like the classical musicians of yore ....

...but even with all that going for it ....it is the remembering of a golden age of an entire generation ...not just a small group of elites ....with the passing of years that entire era really shines in the history of mankind ....