View Full Version : Left college course

Fraser_0762
03-14-17, 01:30 PM
So i've finally done it.... i've officially given up on college..... AGAIN! :(

I feel like I have no future ahead of me whatsoever. No matter what I apply myself to, i'm always going to give up sooner or later, before I can actually do anything meaningful with it.

Hopefully if I keep my head in the sand long enough, i'll be lucky enough to suffocate to death. It's the best I deserve.

midnightstar
03-14-17, 01:31 PM
You deserve much more than that Fraser :grouphug: sorry you felt the only thing to do was give up college :( :grouphug:

Luvmybully
03-14-17, 02:31 PM
:grouphug:

dvdnvwls
03-14-17, 02:47 PM
Sorry to hear you had to drop the course, Fraser.

Your current predictions about the future are the usual ones for someone who's just now quit college a second time - far too pessimistic and with far too much self-blame.

But fault and blame don't matter at all. Take some time now to put this stress behind you. Something will be next - there's always a next - sometimes, it's even good. :)

Fuzzy12
03-14-17, 03:15 PM
Why?? :(

Also:grouphug:

Fraser_0762
03-14-17, 04:17 PM
Why?? :(

Also:grouphug:

The college bent over backwards to help me. But I felt like I was wasting their time and their resources, seeing as I can't help myself. I felt guilty, because I knew I was going to give up sooner or later anyway, regardless of the level of help, so didn't want them wasting even more of their time on me.

dvdnvwls
03-14-17, 04:25 PM
Help from a college is like free food. Don't ask deep questions about why they're giving it to you - just take it and be grateful.

Fraser_0762
03-14-17, 04:29 PM
Help from a college is like free food. Don't ask deep questions about why they're giving it to you - just take it and be grateful.

I could have taken all of their help, but without being able to help myself, their help wasn't really getting through. Somebody else deserves the time and effort, not somebody like me who just gives up time and time again.

dvdnvwls
03-14-17, 04:33 PM
I could have taken all of their help, but without being able to help myself, their help wasn't really getting through. Somebody else deserves the time and effort, not somebody like me who just gives up time and time again.
[putting on fake Jewish-grandfather accent] So - don't give up! :)

There are times when giving up on a project is the right thing to do. And other times when it isn't. Only you can know the difference for sure.

Fuzzy12
03-14-17, 04:45 PM
The college bent over backwards to help me. But I felt like I was wasting their time and their resources, seeing as I can't help myself. I felt guilty, because I knew I was going to give up sooner or later anyway, regardless of the level of help, so didn't want them wasting even more of their time on me.

You weren't wasting your time. If you were they wouldn't be helping you. Trust me higher education doesn't have money or time to he wasted.

Anyway, don't let me.make you feel worse. I've dropped out of a couple of degrees too.

You'll figure something out eventually. Something will click eventually. Honestly I think that something might be medication or maybe you'll find something that you can be passionate about and thr passion will drive you.

You are vwry bright. Too bright to stick your head in the sand forever. Take your time. Rest. Relax. And then try something else. :grouphug:

Fuzzy12
03-14-17, 04:46 PM

You deserve everything good. Unfortunately your brain doesn't know that. :eyebrow:

Johnny Slick
03-14-17, 05:23 PM
I had to drop out of college at one point and while that was the "only" time I also took an *extremely* long time to get my 2 year degree. I was 29 years old and had been more or less plugging away, trying to take like even one class a quarter for around 10 of those 11 post-HS years, by the time I finally got my BA. I guess the only thing I've got to say is: these things happen. Try not to feel too badly about this. I'm sure you have excellent reasons for doing so, and "I am a failure" is not one of those.

I don't remember if you've talked about this, but do you have access to a therapist? The stuff that you're saying, I just feel like you're going to be better off saying to a disinterested third party (no offense to anyone here, but hey, I have friends too and there's still some things that only my therapist can hear, if that makes sense). One downside, unfortunately, of dropping out of school is that a lot of the time that's the best way a person without a degree can get relatively easy access to someone. Perhaps you could still avail yourself of their health services? Universities also often have psychologists who are willing to operate on a sliding-scale basis for non-students as well.

Postulate
03-16-17, 07:10 PM

Carry on, what else did you want to tell us? "Someone else deserves to be helped but not you, somebody like you, who just gives up"...carry on. I feel like you stopped in the middle of your sentence.

Voltage
05-21-17, 04:43 AM
Since you seem to spend a lot of time on the internet, why don't you put that to a more productive, profitable and successful use. Feelings of achievement and success are the best depression killers, and if that is difficult for you to do in real life, well there are many opportunities online. So stop wasting your time posting and complaining on forums and invest your online hours in something more rewarding!