View Full Version : End of my rope..adderall used to work so well...

Piper30
03-16-17, 05:04 AM
It figures that I would land my dream job, making more money than I thought possible for myself and bam. Adderall isn't working anymore. I'm posting this thread with a flicker of hope someone here will have the magic answer. I see my hopes and dreams slipping through my fingers.

I started Adderall in 2011 when a doctor suggested it to treat my chronic fatigue as well as my ADHD which was previously untreated. It was as if they handed me the keys to the Kingdom. Prior to the med I had been sleeping at my desk. Too timid to make the phone calls I needed to. Too tired to do anything period. My anxiety was gone. My fatigue gone. Literally issues that once had me on five different meds. Gone. Everything improved.

This is pretty much how it continued to work. Until recently. I have always been one to take it as prescribed. Never more, sometimes less. The last few months however I've noticed when it wears off, that debilitating fatigue is back. I've even taken a two month break. Know what I did? Slept. For two months and I'm not kidding about that. Experimenting I have found that it lasts basically 4-5 hours and then boom. I'm in a coma. My brain is mush. I've been on the same dose for all this time 30 mg IR twice daily. One big difference is weight. After a severe car accident I put on a lot of weight. I'm no longer a small 120lbs .. Double that if not more.

Other than that, nothing really has changed. I can't figure out why or what is going on. Doc won't up the dose. I've tried every other ADHD med there is to no avail. As of a month ago I landed an awesome job, I mean...I didn't even dream of a job this awesome.. It is that great. Flip side of that is I am responsible for A LOT. Me not doing my job correctly can mean a loss of more money than I'll ever make in a lifetime. Something has got to give. Without the addersll I sleep. Period. No fighting it. I sleep. If I manage to keep myself awake I'm so unfocused I can't spell my name correctly.

I don't know what to do. Thoughts?

Swissy
03-16-17, 06:41 AM
The Teva brand generic has changed, so many people who use it have your same complaint. If you can get it, Sandoz is the one who most users like best. I get it from a mom and pop pharmacy. You can ask if your pharmacy can order it or ask your doctor about it. Otherwise it may be time to try a different med. good luck!

ricoripey
03-16-17, 09:08 AM
I know it may sound impossible, but have you tried exercise? You said you gained a lot of weight......exercise might do a lot for your overall well being. Also, if you doubled your weight since starting the meds, there is a good chance that has much to do with your meds ineffectiveness.

sarahsweets
03-16-17, 11:44 AM
Have you considered xr?I dont mean 1 dose of xr for the day, I mean multiple smaller doses of xr- or even ir throughout the day. I take xr 5 times a day in smaller increments and find that its much more consistent like this.

PaulCamR
03-16-17, 07:53 PM
I'd say it's fair that the doctor won't up the dose past 60mg per day. I believe that's around the max allowable dose, depending on what country/body you site.

I am a *huge* fan of going to the simple answers first. Please go through each simple point and think hard about where you stand:

1) As mentioned above, exercise. Are you doing cardiovascular exercise? A bit of resistance training? Both can be really, really useful. I am guilty of not doing either right at the moment. You could spend thousands and thousands of dollars to modify what you put in to your body, but for free you can change what your body does on its own.

2) Food/hydration. Proteins, fats, carbohydrates. Also, vegetables (greens), fruits, etc. A lot of people avoid certain types of fats, or they avoid eating proteins on a lower-calorie diet.

3) Sleep quality. Amount of sleep. When you sleep. Consistent sleep timing. Right now I sleep in a basement (not ideal!!!). I have no natural lighting. I wake up to a pitch dark room. This makes oversleeping really easy to fall into. Every little detail about sleep quality is important. The term is "sleep hygiene", which oddly enough doesn't specifically mean cleanliness of the sleep area.

4) The basic supplements. Nothing too crazy. There's a few I believe some people suggest, two that come to mind are ALCAR and co-q10. They are antioxidants or something like that, and supposedly they help balance out Adderall's effects on the dopamine system. I don't know if there's science supporting this. Other basic supplements that I think are really really really staple include Omega 3-6-9 with appropriate DHA content, vitamin D, and a basic but good quality multivitamin. Omega 3-6-9 and vitamin D deficiencies are really common causes of issues, that often are the quick-and-easy fix to certain problems.

I think exercise may be one of the bigger things. Mentally there's the positive self-image aspect. Chemically within your body, there's a lot that goes on... positive effects from exercise, and avoiding the negative effects of being too heavy. I have a few pounds to lose myself, and I know that excess fat can have a bit of a cyclical snowball effect on hormone balance. I often fluctuate in a year 30lbs up or down, partly due to regimented weightlifting, and partly due to cycles of high and low stress from demands of work/school. I can personally attest to the negative changes excess fat accumulation and lack of cardio can cause, since I correct and re-encounter those issues once or twice a year.

dvdnvwls
03-16-17, 08:42 PM
PaulCamR - thanks (from me anyway) for a very comprehensive and thoughtful post.

Just a quibble: Isn't it rare to the point of nonexistent for a person with a modern diet to benefit from an omega-6 supplement? I thought we already have an oversupply with what we eat. Omega-3 can be very important. I don't know a thing about omega-9.

PaulCamR
03-16-17, 09:38 PM
PaulCamR - thanks (from me anyway) for a very comprehensive and thoughtful post.

Just a quibble: Isn't it rare to the point of nonexistent for a person with a modern diet to benefit from an omega-6 supplement? I thought we already have an oversupply with what we eat. Omega-3 can be very important. I don't know a thing about omega-9.

I'll be honest, I researched Omega-3 a long time ago, so I can't remember why I decided it was staple. I remember listening to a Ted-X video about clients with depression, and the % of people who benefited from supplementation was considerably high. I assume most people benefit from supplementation, as their diet may not be sufficient on a day-to-day basis, but I can only state that very generally.

dvdnvwls
03-17-17, 12:45 AM
I think in many cases supplements help someone out there, but omega-6 apparently ought to be in the same supplement category as sugar - the vast majority of us getting far more than we need from our normal diet.

Pvlees
03-22-17, 02:13 AM
Severe car accident? I would talk to your dr about possible depression or maybe even ptsd.

ps: from my experience....supplements are dangerous. I made myself so sick trying to control my symptoms. Never again :o

Lunacie
03-22-17, 11:43 AM
Severe car accident? I would talk to your dr about possible depression or maybe even ptsd.

ps: from my experience....supplements are dangerous. I made myself so sick trying to control my symptoms. Never again :o

I was also wondering about the possibility of depression ... it sure made me
sleep all the time.

In my experience, supplements have been awesome. The PA at my clinic
even recommended I add another one at my last visit. I always list all my
supplements along with my meds when I see any doctor for anything. And
I always check for any possible interactions before adding any new meds or
supplements, even when recommended or prescribed.

Traveler5
03-23-17, 03:09 PM
I would talk to your dr about possible depression or maybe even ptsd.

Great point! You can be suffering from depression and you may not even know it until you really examine yourself (your emotions/how you feel). I hope you can figure this out soon.

sarahsweets
03-23-17, 04:48 PM

I am required to take certain substances every day for life. Some of them I wouldnt even be able to tell you if they did anything and others I can surly tell that they help, especially when I run out and put my order in to a vitamin site late. One of the ones that really helps me is biotin. With my nutricional issues, the biotin helps my skin and nails grow and my hair to be more healthy with less breakage. Chelated magnesium helps with my sleep. I would say that chromium picolinate has helped my metabolism. But like Lunacie, I always check with all doctors, and disclose supplements with my meds for any issue related to my health. They are just as important to share as the meds are. I always read first before adding anything new and clear it with my doctor.

thaney
04-28-17, 10:59 AM
Have you considered xr?I dont mean 1 dose of xr for the day, I mean multiple smaller doses of xr- or even ir throughout the day. I take xr 5 times a day in smaller increments and find that its much more consistent like this.

I'm newish to adderall. I believe I'm on an IR pill, but still agree with this suggestion; definitely worth asking the doc about. I was started on 20mg 1x a day, and doc switched me to 10mg 2x a day, and I'm finding this helps everything to stay a bit more even.

I hope you can get this all figured out. I understand what the extreme drowsiness is like; so debilitating, and it's so easy to feel hopeless when that happens.

Letching Gray
04-29-17, 11:44 PM
Do aerobic workouts, intensely.