View Full Version : How do we know reality?

midnightstar
03-16-17, 10:54 AM
How do we know that our life is real? How do we know that we're not somewhere else imagining all of this? Like maybe we're just imagining our current situations and we're really locked up someplace using our imaginations to escape the place we got put?

How can I be sure that Ebony and Tigger (for example) are real and I'm not just imagining them being in my life because I can't handle the "real" reality? Ditto my job, the rescue kennels etc?

aeon
03-16-17, 10:55 AM
How do we know that our life is real? How do we know that we're not somewhere else imagining all of this? Like maybe we're just imagining our current situations and we're really locked up someplace using our imaginations to escape the place we got put?

How can I be sure that Ebony and Tigger (for example) are real and I'm not just imagining them being in my life because I can't handle the "real" reality? Ditto my job, the rescue kennels etc?

We donít.

Simple as that.

Cheers,
Ian

Fraser_0762
03-16-17, 10:57 AM
Real is merely our perception of what real is. We don't know what's beyond our own perception, so we accept our perception as all that is relevant to us.

midnightstar
03-16-17, 10:59 AM
So we could be imagining everything? Like imagining what we have in our real lives and imagining ADDF etc?

aeon
03-16-17, 11:05 AM
So we could be imagining everything? Like imagining what we have in our real lives and imagining ADDF etc?

Absolutely.

Cheers,
Ian

Fraser_0762
03-16-17, 12:27 PM

What is imagination? The question is just as profound as asking what is real.

fisherfisher
03-16-17, 12:39 PM
The only reality which matters is the one you believe. Or the one everyone else believes. This sounds like a good conversation for Saturday night.

Postulate
03-17-17, 10:16 AM

How's that doctor appointment going? What does your doctor say?

midnightstar
03-17-17, 03:01 PM
How's that doctor appointment going? What does your doctor say?

I can't get a doctors appointment without having to phone at stupidoclock, which I can't do cause of work.

What I have done though is get in touch with a mental health support charity and hopefully if they can't help they'll get the doctors to book me in to get more help than I currently get. The charity are phoning me after work on Tuesday so just hoping I actually get help this time and don't get told to go away and get on with it.

dvdnvwls
03-17-17, 03:30 PM
Having to phone the doctor while at work is excusable in almost every case. As long as you're not spending hours doing it, and as long as you don't have a boss who is extremely unsympathetic to everyone.

midnightstar
03-17-17, 03:36 PM
Having to phone the doctor while at work is excusable in almost every case. As long as you're not spending hours doing it, and as long as you don't have a boss who is extremely unsympathetic to everyone.

I don't want work to know about my mental health though.

dvdnvwls
03-17-17, 03:38 PM
I don't want work to know about my mental health though.
Oh - is there some place you can get away from others for a short time at work, or are you stuck in one spot?

midnightstar
03-17-17, 03:40 PM
Oh - is there some place you can get away from others for a short time at work, or are you stuck in one spot?

I'm generally stuck around other people and there's nowhere quiet to go for a phone call without having one of the bosses hanging around.

midnightstar
03-17-17, 03:44 PM
And even my family does not know about my mental health conditions. I prefer to keep it completely private between me and the professionals, don't feel the need for anyone else irl to know about it.

I can come here to let people know that I'm not "perfect". I feel safe here.

idk if this makes any sense.

mildadhd
03-20-17, 09:07 PM

Who cleans Ebony's and Tigger's litter box?

m

Fuzzy12
03-20-17, 09:20 PM
I'm generally stuck around other people and there's nowhere quiet to go for a phone call without having one of the bosses hanging around.

I used to have that problem. I sometimes resorted to making private phone calls in the car.

However, you just have 5o make an appointment on the phone right? How would anyone listening to your phone call know that you are calling a mental health care provider?? They might figure out you are calling to make a doctor's appointment but they wouldn't know which doctor right?

And like DVD said calling your doctor is almost always accepted and tolerated.

midnightstar
03-29-17, 09:44 AM
Who cleans Ebony's and Tigger's litter box?

m

I clean it but if Ebony and Tigger don't really exist, then how can I be sure that I'm not imagining their litter tray and the contents of the litter tray as well?

Little Missy
03-29-17, 09:46 AM
I clean it but if Ebony and Tigger don't really exist, then how can I be sure that I'm not imagining their litter tray and the contents of the litter tray as well?

Give it a sniff. That ought to bring you back to reality.

midnightstar
03-29-17, 09:51 AM
Sometimes when I wake up though, I forget where I am, like last night I had a really vivid dream (or at least I think it was a dream) about having helped build the Titanic then somehow (can't remember details) get trapped on it and was shouting and knocking for help but nobody could see me or hear me.

Does anyone else do this? Wake up convinced what you dreamed was real and have to check that nothing actually happened?

aeon
03-29-17, 10:26 AM
Give it a sniff. That ought to bring you back to reality.

Classic. http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Comik.gif

Little Missy
03-29-17, 12:37 PM
Sometimes when I wake up though, I forget where I am, like last night I had a really vivid dream (or at least I think it was a dream) about having helped build the Titanic then somehow (can't remember details) get trapped on it and was shouting and knocking for help but nobody could see me or hear me.

Does anyone else do this? Wake up convinced what you dreamed was real and have to check that nothing actually happened?

Copy this for your upcoming CBT therapy. :)

unstableAngel
03-30-17, 12:34 AM
:eek:Just wow....you completely blew my mind...i cant even wrap my head around it! i'll be ruminating for days, weeks, months....i'll let you know when i have an opinion..

dormammau2008
04-03-17, 10:06 PM
its like the cat in the box until ypu open it its both dead an alive until the doors open then one ofve the two will happen reality like time is subjitve but I do belive we have some level of control over both,,,by just being alive for one

cwf1986
04-05-17, 03:15 PM
There was a brilliant man who asked himself, "What do we know if we don't take any knowledge as a given". That's paraphrased a bit.

What he came up with is, "Cogito, ergo sum" otherwise known as the quote, "I think therefor I am". This man was Rene Descartes. Even if your senses are completely wrong and deceptive, in order to have any sort of doubt there you have to exist. The statement, "I do not exist" is contradictory because if that is true, there isn't an 'I' and the whole statement becomes nonsensical.

Nothing else can be known without accepting presuppositions and axioms. Some might call these statements of faith. There is no other solution to this sort of radical skepticism.

The field of philosophy that would most help you to answer that type of question is epistemology. Volumes upon volumes have been written on the subject and this is the kind of thing you could study for a lifetime if you so chose.

In addition to Descartes, you might want to look up Immanual Kant and Socrates. Start with Socrates's Allegory of the Cave, Arguably the foundation of Western Philosophy.

midnightstar
04-05-17, 03:27 PM
There was a brilliant man who asked himself, "What do we know if we don't take any knowledge as a given". That's paraphrased a bit.

What he came up with is, "Cogito, ergo sum" otherwise known as the quote, "I think therefor I am". This man was Rene Descartes. Even if your senses are completely wrong and deceptive, in order to have any sort of doubt there you have to exist. The statement, "I do not exist" is contradictory because if that is true, there isn't an 'I' and the whole statement becomes nonsensical.

Nothing else can be known without accepting presuppositions and axioms. Some might call these statements of faith. There is no other solution to this sort of radical skepticism.

The field of philosophy that would most help you to answer that type of question is epistemology. Volumes upon volumes have been written on the subject and this is the kind of thing you could study for a lifetime if you so chose.

In addition to Descartes, you might want to look up Immanual Kant and Socrates. Start with Socrates's Allegory of the Cave, Arguably the foundation of Western Philosophy.

I have never been able to get my head around philosophy, never have and never will :o

cwf1986
04-06-17, 02:28 AM
^

If nothing else, just realize that there are things that have to be taken on faith for any truth to exist. Things like 'reason and logic exist' and 'our senses are at least somewhat reliable' for just a couple examples.

And if it makes you feel better, then keep in mind that many highly intelligent and brilliant people for thousands of years have racked their brains on this subject of 'how do we know anything' and still don't have a complete answer. You're in good company for people having asked this question.