View Full Version : Question to those with INATTENTIVE add; are you rich?

adhdpi
03-16-17, 12:29 PM
I want to ask those with INATTENTIVE add (the add without hyperactivity) if they are rich or have rich parents.

I am doing this for research purposes.

Impromptu_DTour
03-16-17, 03:23 PM
sorr.. i had to come to a place where i was able to stop punching myself in the face to keep myself from raging all over vBullitin.

but.. "for research purposes"..

my father was a man of the cloth. which meant we were the inverse of "rich".

he did however achieve multiple doctorates and several masters degrees spreading from theology through marriage and addiction and crisis and traumatology.

ill admit.. im working really hard to be.. open.. to the purpose of this poll.

there was less than 0 money in my family.

hope that helps.. justify .. something.. for you..

iDTour

Impromptu_DTour
03-16-17, 03:24 PM
that said.. there really needs to be another criteria added to this poll..

I.. am DEFINITELY NOT rich..

and NEITHER were my parents.. and NEVER have been.

and NO.. there was no Inheritance.. In fact.. any "inheritance" will be built on MY shoulders..

and YES.. we worked our rear ends off... the entire time. Every day.

Fraser_0762
03-16-17, 03:26 PM
Yes, extremely rich..... until I snap out of the daydream.

sarahsweets
03-16-17, 03:29 PM
Are combineds allowed to vote?

Impromptu_DTour
03-16-17, 03:30 PM
ive lost it. (and yes im drunk.. deal with it).

i tried.

you're inferring that people with innatentive ADHD are entitled to be innatentive, because of some financial panacea/cyanide.

no.

it doesnt work like that..

3 of your 4 poll questions.. explicitly imply wealth as an environmental factor..

Impromptu_DTour
03-16-17, 03:34 PM
im so well aware of the "fianncial issue" that is being brought up (albeit inversely).. that i turned my back on the church.. and psychology.. to pursue a life of science and engineering to try and offset "poverty".. and.. the problems are very real still. no "riches" about it.

Impromptu_DTour
03-16-17, 03:40 PM
~self moderation~

sorry

i wish life were "that easy". but no.. wealth does not create "Inattentiveness"

psychopathetic
03-22-17, 03:23 AM
Yes, extremely rich..... until I snap out of the daydream.

Just to immediately drift off into another.
Cause you know...ADD and stuff.
It's okay though. You can wait till tomorrow to do what you need to do!!
:lol:

ajaxblu
03-22-17, 09:48 AM
I want to ask those with INATTENTIVE add (the add without hyperactivity) if they are rich or have rich parents.

I am doing this for research purposes.

Not at all. I'm pretty sure my procrastination and distraction has prevented me from opportunities where I could have become rich.

I would say though, that "rich" is too ambiguous of a term for a study.

Johnny Slick
03-22-17, 10:22 AM
Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, maybe he actually has an idea that ADHD-I is something that only gets diagnosed in the children of wealthy parents (well, I'd go "down" to middle to upper middle class but whatevs) because the symptoms are such that if you're poor your condition is not called ADHD-PI but "yet another thing to suffer in silence and/or blame yourself about".

The thing is, the hyperactive strain of ADHD doesn't really get diagnosed so much in the poor either; instead, that gets called "you are going to jail, have fun". Look. I am trying to read this in a positive way, okay!?

sarahsweets
03-30-17, 06:11 AM
Are you saying that rich people are more likely to be diagnosed in general or diagnosed PI?

Johnny Slick
03-30-17, 09:19 AM
Are you saying that rich people are more likely to be diagnosed in general or diagnosed PI?I'd say yes in general but especially for PI just because it's more subtle. Also I'm not a fan of the wording (I'd just say "not poor" instead) but hey, not my OP.

sarahsweets
03-30-17, 09:26 AM
I'd say yes in general but especially for PI just because it's more subtle. Also I'm not a fan of the wording (I'd just say "not poor" instead) but hey, not my OP.

I should have been more clear. I wasnt responding you you, I agree with you. The OP didnt elaborate and gave these as answers:

Yes, I am rich.
No, I am not rich.
I have rich parents, but am not rich myself.
I have rich parents and I am rich.
I just dont understand what being inattentive has to do with it.

Goofycook
03-30-17, 10:54 AM
Rich is not a very nice word. Privileged is what I was taught. And people who are prefer not to talk about it.

Lisa_Mac
03-31-17, 03:01 AM
"Rich" is relative

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 05:53 AM
Rich is not a very nice word. Privileged is what I was taught. And people who are prefer not to talk about it.

My experience has been people that are privileged yet humble, dont talk about it. Just being privileged alone doesnt mean you dont talk about it.

WheresMyMind
03-31-17, 08:45 PM
To me, "privileged" means that somehow, they fell into benefits that few get, and they did not work for those benefits.

Yet, statistically, approx 99% of people in the US who have a net worth over $1 million did not come from well-off families, did not earn an inheritance and so forth...most of them either worked ordinary jobs and kept their expenses down, or they started their own companies.

By the way, having $1 million isn't so unique, either - 1 in 20 Americans has that much. So, out of every 20 people you know, statistically one's a millionaire.

IMO, that's "rich enough". Average spending levels and moderate cleverness in handline investments can make that amount last your entire life. IMO, that's rich - no need to work any more. But I don't see it a privileged.

WheresMyMind
03-31-17, 09:00 PM
I would need to vote "I am rich but my parents are not", but only because I'm guessing at the purpose of the survey. I'm thinking part of it is whether it's easier to become rich if you have rich parents. I was not raised by rich parents, so I wasn't raised with any sort of mindset toward gathering wealth.

My parents, today, are rich by my standards. But we weren't when I was growing up...they were not able for instance, to save much for our college, so myself and my siblings all paid our own ways.

When I was in my 20s, I got interested in how the financial markets worked. My dad was an accountant, which isn't a high paying job, but it was easy to talk to him about stuff like this. He was not comfortable with the psychological end of it, but that's what drove me. I played around with small chunks of money and ended up deciding that: #1 I didn't like messing in the market but #2: If, for some reason, I became otherwise unemployable, I could use the stock market to compensate for financial problems elsewhere in my life.

But my interest sparked it in Dad, and within ten years he'd catapulted their small nest egg to something quite good for them. That was when he was required to retire, so the timing was good.

I ended up going back into the market anyway, some 15 years later. I split from an ex when I was in my late 30s, and because I have ADHD, I try to compensate by having as few loose ends as possible - so I gave her everything - house with equity, etc. I took my clothing and car and that was it. So, I was now "old" and with no net worth, and retirement closer than before. So I used the market to fix that problem.

I'm not a 1%er - my evaluation of things says I don't need to be. If I wanted to become one, I could, but I'd rather spend my time enjoying life.

aur462
04-15-17, 11:46 PM
"Rich" is one of those terms that's interpreted broadly. Perhaps a less vague "well off" would be more effective, but I think that also is too vague. VERY few are actually rich. Many more fall on a more mundane continuum. Using specific income brackets would ensure the only limiting factor would be honesty - very valid obstacle perhaps; can't say.

To answer sans the formality of using the "poll feature", I grew up in an upper-middle class environment most of my childhood. My wife is the bread-winner ATM as I'm a financially languishing student. She does very well and to the extent we have less money than we should, it can be blamed on her somewhat impulsive buying habits - she is purportedly ADHD "combined" FWIW.

As someone may have alluded to, ADHDers are disproportionately entrepreneurs, which is interesting. I think the question MAY have had a different spirit than what was actually articulated, but as it stands it's pretty vacuous.

Perhaps something more substantive is found when it's considered why I responded to this question in the first place. Motivations hint at my enjoyment of writing and hyperfocus - a perennial trait of someone with "ADD-PI" :rolleyes:

Pincheyloveclaw
04-16-17, 03:43 AM
I'm rich in cynicism- I can find a negative angle to just about anything! However it would be better to be rich in freedom, and the only people who are truly free are the wealthy and the poor. In eather circumstance there is a lack of risk aversion that troubles everyone else. Everyone else in the middle is just dying degree. Yep that's me! stuck between a carrot on a stick, and a van down by the river. As far from rich as one could ever be. Honestly, I have fantasies (I'm PI after all) about both scenarios. In one, I invent the next BS product you never knew you wanted so bad, and buy my own bunny ranch with Dexters secret underground laboratory hidden deep underground. In the other, I give it all up and do the Alex Honold: Get an old Econoline van and live the ditbag life climbing big walls and living off the kindness of strangers.

Yeah, been staring blankly at the screen for some time now. Would be great to be rich!

Addelerious
04-28-17, 02:58 AM
Well lets put it this way. I was a lot wealthier before my divorce! :mad:

He probably divorced me because of my inattentive ADD. Seriously, the only explanation I ever got was - I move faster than you. :faint:

addmission
05-18-17, 12:57 AM
IMHO - a persons mental and physical attributes have no relation to their ability to make money.

Ronelh
09-16-17, 04:54 AM
What do you mean by rich? I am an expat working in a country where many people are extremely poor, so my idea of what "rich" means has been modified. I have three ample meals a day, adequate clothing, modern plumbing and electricity, and my own vehicle - luxuries here. So usually I would say, yes I'm rich, but compared to most people in the developed world, I'm not at all rich, and I assume that is the sort of comparison you had in mind, so I replied no to this poll.

SashaBV
11-10-17, 01:48 PM
No to being rich. No to rich parents. Seriously? You think that has anything to do with having this?

peripatetic
11-10-17, 01:54 PM
i think a lot of people are inferring things from adhdpi's question. and projecting a lot of their own stuff out there...

dtour...you know i love you, *mwuah* but...maybe read some of the thread starters other threads and i think maybe you'll see that this isn't a malevolent person or question. he struggles just like we do.

allesandro1
11-22-17, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry, I have to ask why one would ask if people with SCT are rich? It can't be just for research purposes.