View Full Version : How are people getting two different stimulants filled?

Bobus37
03-16-17, 05:40 PM
Hello,

I'm seeing a lot of threads on people taking (e,g) 60 mg of Vyvanse in the morning and then taking a booster of another stimulant in the evening like (Dexedrine or Adderall). My question is how are these people getting prescribed two different stimulants. I have asked my doctor about adding another dose in the evening and he said he couldn't do (almost like it was out of the question). I take 60 mg of Vyvanse and will start working 12 hour shifts and will need a booster to help me get through the long days. I just want to know how these people are getting 2 different stimulants prescribed and filled? Any answers?

Thanks!

sarahsweets
03-16-17, 07:05 PM
Its not against the law, it depends on the doctor. I take both adderall xr 20 and adderall xr in smaller amounts multiple times a day.

dvdnvwls
03-16-17, 07:22 PM
Your doctor's statement is not based on any law. He is obviously saying this for some other reason.

Bobus37
03-16-17, 08:49 PM
I just thought it was something uncommon for doctors to prescribe multiple stimulants for one patient but apparently it's not.

namazu
03-17-17, 01:47 AM
I just thought it was something uncommon for doctors to prescribe multiple stimulants for one patient but apparently it's not.
It's fairly common for people to take a long-acting stimulant medication that covers them for most of the day, with a booster of a short-acting stimulant in the afternoon/evening. Usually, the active ingredient in the long-acting stimulant is the same as, or similar to, the active ingredient in the short-acting stimulant.

So, for example, someone who takes Concerta (methylphenidate) might be prescribed a booster of Ritalin (methylphenidate), and someone who takes Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) might be prescribed a booster of Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) or in some cases Adderall (mixed amphetamine salts).

It's uncommon (but not unheard-of) for doctors to prescribe stimulants from two different families (methylphenidate and amphetamine) to the same patient at the same time.

As others have noted, there are no laws in the US that prohibit a doctor from prescribing a booster dose of short-acting stimulant to someone taking a long-acting stimulant. Some doctors may not be comfortable prescribing this way, and some insurance plans might balk (though sometimes this can be overcome with a letter of medical justification).

If you are not getting the coverage you need for your day, speak with your doctor. If the doctor is unfamiliar with ADHD treatment, or is simply unwilling or unable to come up with a treatment plan that works adequately for you, seek a second opinion if you have the opportunity. And be sure to maximize the non-medication things that can help with ADHD -- healthy diet, adequate sleep and exercise, changing your environment, planning for ups and downs, etc.

Best wishes.

sarahsweets
03-17-17, 05:20 AM
I should have clarified my post. The only reason I take adderall xr multiple times a day is because I have absorption issues. If I didnt, I would be taking an ir for a booster instead of xr.

namazu
03-17-17, 01:51 PM
I should have clarified my post. The only reason I take adderall xr multiple times a day is because I have absorption issues. If I didnt, I would be taking an ir for a booster instead of xr.
In addition to Sarah's situation, there are also some people without absorption issues who take an XR med twice a day because they only get 7 hours out of a dose, and a short-acting booster dose wouldn't give them enough coverage.

For other people, taking 2 doses of an XR med in a day would cause insomnia, or just be too much, so a single dose (with or without a short-acting booster) is preferable.

There's a lot of individual variation in medication response.

(And a lot of variation in what doctors are comfortable prescribing!)

Cyllya
03-17-17, 11:50 PM
Yeah, my PCP acted like Adderal XR + Adderall IR wasn't an option, but then a psychiatrist prescribed that for me.

But the psychiatrist wouldn't prescribe two different XR doses (at least not for my situation).