View Full Version : Hi to everyone...How do you like meds?

KenTarga
03-17-17, 04:05 PM
Hi Everyone, I do not have a formal diagnosis of ADHD but one of my sons has been diagnosed with severe ADHD and the other has symptoms, and I think I fit the pattern. I didn't think I could have ADHD until I heard about hyperfocus. I am a high-earning professional who works in a high-pressure environment.

I have a hard time focusing on people when they are speaking, I want them to get to the point. I can never sit through a meeting or a talk more than 10 minutes long. In school I always procrastinated to the last minute on essays, studying, etc, then I would do a 5 hour cram the night before. In University I could never go to the lectures (I couldn't sit through them) but I would get the notes and focus and study by myself in the library.

In my current job I deal with life and death situations. The more chaotic and dangerous it is, and the more pressure there is on me, the more I like it. I feel like I enter a zone, and I am flying mentally. I tried doing office-type work and it would mentally drain me, I felt like I was dying.

I also like like exciting things, I play a lot of sports and like driving my car fast (on the track). I also always wondered why "everyone else" was really "slow" at doing things, I never thought I was the one who might have had a problem.

I wonder if I have always had ADHD. As a way to adapt I have chosen a certain career path where it is advantageous, especially with an ability to hyperfocus, but as I get older it also is mentally draining.

I can get tested and treated with meds, but I don't know if I want to if it means I will lose my edge and not be able to hyperfocus anymore. Anyone have any insights?

midnightstar
03-17-17, 04:07 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

sarahsweets
03-17-17, 04:23 PM
I can get tested and treated with meds, but I don't know if I want to if it means I will lose my edge and not be able to hyperfocus anymore. Anyone have any insights?

There are no tests for adhd but there are other useful tests that help rule out/confirm lots of other issues you could have. One thing is to be sure you arent confusing hyperfocus with drive or working well under pressure. Hyperfocus generally is a negative thing because you become focused on things that are not what you should be focusing on, sometimes to the point of it almost being an obsession. Hyperfocus and adhd is often a situation where you know you need to move on to something else but just cant. Its almost like your adhd mind takes the rest of you hostage and makes it terribly hard to break away from whatever you are focused on. Sometimes , stimulants can cause this and when that happens its usually because the dose is a little too high.

Swissy
03-17-17, 04:27 PM
Sounds like you described me. I never took meds or had a diagnosis until a few months ago at age 40. High pressure, visible job now. Couldn't sit through lectures in school, but would cram or procrastinate projects until last minute, then work on it for hours the night before. I kept my grades at honor roll level that was necessary to keep my scholarship in university, but I barely have it effort because I simply could not keep focused on anything. I remember learning every bone in the human body in the few minutes between bells in high school, then once the test was over just let that knowledge go to make room for the next cram session.

I can't stand long explanations, if a conversation goes too long without keeping my interest I wander and lose track of what we were talking about. I cannot ever read any of the posts on this forum through from beginning to end when they are lengthy. I try, I really do. Walking around behind slow people I get road rage, lol. I like driving fast and walking fast if I have a destination. I feel like I get so little free time that I have to cram everything in.

The meds have helped calm me down to take on one thing at a time without going into overdrive. The meds have not taken my edge, I have actually been doing really well at a new position at work that really scared me. I feel much less fatigue which helps. I am happier, too. I feel like having to deal with a demanding, competitive career, managing my household, managing 3 busy kids and their activities and the stress of crazy work hours was slowly killing me. I was forgetting more than just the odd commitment here and there. I was forgetting about the karate class my kids have taken for the last 6 years, despite thinking about it an hour before class. I was misplacing bills, sending bills late (which is not me at all). I was losing things like keys, chargers, ear buds... I would put things in a safe place knowing how bad I had gotten, and have no recollection of where that safe place was. My scatter brain had gotten out of control... and the symptoms for which I had been able to develop coping skills we're getting the better of me. I was full of anxiety and eventually depressed.

But getting the dx and starting low dose meds changed everything. I take instant release 10mg of adderall up to 3x / day depending on what I am facing. I don't like the XR formula because I feel like I have less control. With an XR formula, one is committed to taking the full dose every day and to the 8 hour in a row duration. With my job it can be intense for a few hours, followed by a lot of downtime in which I don't benefit from meds, then as the XR would wear off things can kick back up again. With instant release, I can wait on that 2nd dose until I need it, if I even need it at all.

This answer was long. I never would have gotten through reading it all ;).

sarahsweets
03-18-17, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you described me. I never took meds or had a diagnosis until a few months ago at age 40. High pressure, visible job now. Couldn't sit through lectures in school, but would cram or procrastinate projects until last minute, then work on it for hours the night before. I kept my grades at honor roll level that was necessary to keep my scholarship in university, but I barely have it effort because I simply could not keep focused on anything. I remember learning every bone in the human body in the few minutes between bells in high school, then once the test was over just let that knowledge go to make room for the next cram session.

I can't stand long explanations, if a conversation goes too long without keeping my interest I wander and lose track of what we were talking about. I cannot ever read any of the posts on this forum through from beginning to end when they are lengthy. I try, I really do. Walking around behind slow people I get road rage, lol. I like driving fast and walking fast if I have a destination. I feel like I get so little free time that I have to cram everything in.

The meds have helped calm me down to take on one thing at a time without going into overdrive. The meds have not taken my edge, I have actually been doing really well at a new position at work that really scared me. I feel much less fatigue which helps. I am happier, too. I feel like having to deal with a demanding, competitive career, managing my household, managing 3 busy kids and their activities and the stress of crazy work hours was slowly killing me. I was forgetting more than just the odd commitment here and there. I was forgetting about the karate class my kids have taken for the last 6 years, despite thinking about it an hour before class. I was misplacing bills, sending bills late (which is not me at all). I was losing things like keys, chargers, ear buds... I would put things in a safe place knowing how bad I had gotten, and have no recollection of where that safe place was. My scatter brain had gotten out of control... and the symptoms for which I had been able to develop coping skills we're getting the better of me. I was full of anxiety and eventually depressed.

But getting the dx and starting low dose meds changed everything. I take instant release 10mg of adderall up to 3x / day depending on what I am facing. I don't like the XR formula because I feel like I have less control. With an XR formula, one is committed to taking the full dose every day and to the 8 hour in a row duration. With my job it can be intense for a few hours, followed by a lot of downtime in which I don't benefit from meds, then as the XR would wear off things can kick back up again. With instant release, I can wait on that 2nd dose until I need it, if I even need it at all.

This answer was long. I never would have gotten through reading it all ;).

Dont be hard on yourself it wasnt long at all!