View Full Version : Method of splitting doses

Kimbosqueak
03-18-17, 06:04 PM
I was recently put on Vyvanse and given some liberty with the dosage. I can start out with 20mg and if I feel it's not enough, I can start taking 40mg. I recently started taking 40 and at first I was taking the capsules separately to extend the duration of action. Then I realized the first 20 wasn't cutting it, so I started taking both capsules together and hoping it would last. But I sometimes forget to take 2 capsules instead of just one. Today, I forgot whether I took 1 or 2, so I waited to see if it was going to help me before making a conclusion and deciding whether to take another. It's a bit iffy and I did feel like I needed more, so I decided to see if I can split the dose just to be safe. I've done this many times with maintenance meds when I forget whether I've taken them. I've also considered doing this if my dose is increased (I will be requesting 60mg) so I can split the dose evenly throughout the day (30/30).

I keep reading about water mixing method, but before reading about it I was prepared with an emptied capsule from another ER medication that I no longer take. I did end up mixing less than half with water. Is mixing with water the only viable way to split the dose or could placing half of the powder into an empty capsule work just as well? I'm already starting to feel the effects of the Vyvanse water and I'm not liking it so much. It seems like it came on way too strong.

namazu
03-18-17, 06:22 PM
Hi Kimbosqueak,

Splitting doses as you describe goes against the manufacturer's recommendations:
Open capsules, empty and mix the entire contents with yogurt, water, or orange
juice. If the contents of the capsule include any compacted powder, a spoon may
be used to break apart the powder. The contents should be mixed until
completely dispersed. Consume the entire mixture immediately. It should not be
stored. The active ingredient dissolves completely once dispersed; however, a
film containing the inactive ingredients may remain in the glass or container once
the mixture is consumed.

(The prescribing info can be found here. (http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf))

It sounds like your doctor is pretty flexible and willing to work with you. Vyvanse comes in doses of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70mg. If 20mg is too little and 40mg is too much at one time, perhaps your doctor could prescribe 30mg pills, which would prevent you from having to do anything that may produce inconsistent results. If cost is an issue, and that many Vyvanse pills would be too expensive, you might inquire about similar medications that come in generic forms, like dextroamphetamine or mixed amphetamine salts.

Kimbosqueak
03-18-17, 08:02 PM
Thanks, I had no idea they made 30 mg pills. 40 isn't too much to take at once, but if I were to start taking 60, I would rather split the doses evenly to be taken twice a day. The 30 mg capsules should work, but what happens if I end up at 70mg? I would probably want to split the doses rather than take it all at once.

namazu
03-18-17, 08:13 PM
Thanks, I had no idea they made 30 mg pills. 40 isn't too much to take at once, but if I were to start taking 60, I would rather split the doses evenly to be taken twice a day. The 30 mg capsules should work, but what happens if I end up at 70mg? I would probably want to split the doses rather than take it all at once.
In that case, your doctor might prescribe 40mg in the morning and 30 later (or vice-versa).

Alternatively, you could look at a combination of Vyvanse 30 or 40mg in the morning with a short-acting amphetamine later in the day. <-- This might actually be more common than 2 doses of Vyvanse/day, but I'm not sure.

Obviously what matters for you is what works best for you and meets your needs. Good luck!