View Full Version : Are Neuropsychological Evaluation of any use for diagnosing ADD?

Obsessive_ADD
03-19-17, 05:23 AM
Are Neuropsychological Evaluation of any use for diagnosing ADD in adults? My new psychiatrists says they aren't necessary for ADD/ADHD (unless there is suspicion of brain damage) since questionnaires are the primitive means for diagnosis. What purpose do neuropsychological evaluations serve?

aeon
03-19-17, 05:30 AM
To ease the back pain of the ignorant by lightening their wallets and purses.

OK, they can be useful as part of a differential diagnosis but not an ADHD diagnosis directly.

Cheers,
Ian

GoalieMel33
03-19-17, 09:42 AM
To assess the possibility of learning disabilities (when suspected), to people who are interested in knowing how they do cognitively (+ strengths and weaknesses) and to get accommodation recommendations for school.

dvdnvwls
03-19-17, 11:06 AM
What they both said. In other words, your new psychiatrist is right, but the tests can be good for reasons outside of ADHD itself.

Fortune
03-19-17, 02:12 PM
Also, while there is no test that can diagnose ADHD, there are several tools that can assist with diagnosing ADHD.

tearsong
03-20-17, 07:32 AM
A neuropsych battery is a LOT more than just a "questionnaire," though... no?

When I went for one, one of the reasons she justified the dx was the extremely impaired performance on the IVA-2, and several other memory tests where the results implicated attention, rather than actual memory issues...

mctavish23
03-20-17, 12:22 PM
Short Answer ... NO!!!

Long Answer ... "Hell NO!!"

I'm retired and don't practice anymore, nor am I still licensed. I also Never practiced on here, which hasn't changed. However,

after having had a 30 year evidence based practiced, it really bothers me to hear of clinicians still doing this. It's WRONG.

Good Luck

mctavish23

(Robert)