View Full Version : Adderall has caused some scary side effects!

UnanimousUser
03-20-17, 03:03 PM
Sorry for the length. So I have been taking adderall for about seven months now. Up until this past month I've never had adverse effects like mania, erectile dysfunction, jitters, flushed face and red patches on my arms (likely rashes), and paradoxical effects. I will note that recently my sleep schedule has been unhealthy, last night I slept for a total of 16 hours and was a awake for two days prior that. I would surmise that the sleep deprivation be cause for these unwanted affects, but the mania and erectile dysfunction occurred when I was completely healthy. I was convinced I had bipolar, because i have never experienced mania/hypomania before.

I have had a few people tell me it was most likely amphetamine psychosis. The only reason I'm convinced it wasn't psychosis is because I have been there. In December of last year I was getting caught up with the wrong people and ended up giving in and used street speed. I ended up staying up for about a week and then I lost my marbles and went full blown psychosis. Scariest thing to ever happen to me. The way I would describe mania/hypomania extreme euphoria, thoughts going 100mph, inability to stop talking, erratic ideas, and insomnia even if i didn't redose. Fortunatly the mania hasn't made a return in about a week.

But my adderall is absolutely useless, so today I decided to double my dose and take 40mg of ER. Obviously that was not a brilliant idea, today I'm feeling paradoxical effects, swelling in my face (looks like I'm bloating), flushed face, what looks like rashes on my arms, loss of coordination. At this point I'm content with stopping of this medication. I know the first option should be to call the doc but the doc here in town is just a pill mill and has no knowledge of any medications he prescribes. I feel like other ADD/ADHD individuals may be able to help me understand my situation.

Postulate
03-20-17, 03:16 PM
It's not amphetamine psychosis, just mania because you have too much dopamine. Has your doctor considered Strattera instead? It's an ADHD medication that does not increase dopamine.

Also, I don't think you're qualified to increase or decrease your daily dose so I urge you to speak to your doctor before making any modifications.

dvdnvwls
03-20-17, 03:37 PM
Your doctor needs to know the entire story including the full details of what happened in December.

Postulate
03-20-17, 03:49 PM
Your doctor needs to know the entire story including the full details of what happened in December.

His doctor doesn't need to know that. The only thing his doctor needs to know is how his patient is reacting to his prescribed medication. His abuse did not cause any permanent damage and it's none of his doctor's business.

midnightstar
03-20-17, 03:51 PM
His doctor doesn't need to know that. The only thing his doctor needs to know is how his patient is reacting to his prescribed medication. His abuse did not cause any permanent damage and it's none of his doctor's business.

His doctor does need to know about it because how else is the doctor going to be able to help him if he doesn't know everything?

dvdnvwls
03-20-17, 03:57 PM
A person who has had very serious and very recent problems with binge use of a drug that's related to the one being prescribed? That is 100% the doctor's business.

Postulate
03-20-17, 04:19 PM
A person who has had very serious and very recent problems with binge use of a drug that's related to the one being prescribed? That is 100% the doctor's business.

The doctor is a busy person, he has to factor in many things into a treatment. The attitude of the 4 y.o. child running to his mom crying because he did something bad is not something any doctor should have to deal with. He's an adult, he drugged his head and bared the consequences.

His doctor needs to know important things like hereditary illnesses, family history, blood test results, medication etc. He doesn't need to know what goes on in his household. That's his privacy. It's intimate and no one should know it.

Swissy
03-20-17, 04:24 PM
Swelling can be an indication of high blood pressure. At the very least you should go to a pharmacy or store with one of those bp monitoring machines, a friend of mine just went through this as a s/e of adderall when her doctor upped her dose of XR. He warned her that she had to stop adderall until her bp was under control or it could be deadly.

midnightstar
03-20-17, 04:27 PM
The doctor is a busy person, he has to factor in many things into a treatment. The attitude of the 4 y.o. child running to his mom crying because he did something bad is not something any doctor should have to deal with. He's an adult, he drugged his head and bared the consequences. There will be no crying about it nor going to the confession on Sunday.

His doctor needs to know important things like hereditary illnesses, family history, blood test results, medication etc. He doesn't need to know what goes on in his household. That's his privacy. It's intimate and no one should know it.

The doctor should know about it, yes the doctor is busy but in order to get the best treatment, the doctor needs to know as much as possible, including if medications have ever been used wrongly so the doctor can give the appropriate help.

dvdnvwls
03-20-17, 04:52 PM
While it's true that the doctor doesn't need to know what kind of movies his ADHD patient likes, or whether the patient's patio umbrella is in good condition, recent bingeing on a drug related to the one being prescribed is not a "household" or private matter.

Swissy
03-20-17, 05:21 PM
Doctors standard questions include whether or not their patient has ever abused drugs or used hem recreationally. It could help them diagnosis and administer treatment.

Postulate
03-20-17, 05:28 PM
The doctor should know about it, yes the doctor is busy but in order to get the best treatment, the doctor needs to know as much as possible, including if medications have ever been used wrongly so the doctor can give the appropriate help.

He can go to a rehab that provides absolute confidentiality if he ever needs help. His dignity and reputation is in play, and the cons of having a drug addict medical file is far worse than the risk of abusing his medication in the future.

dvdnvwls
03-20-17, 05:38 PM
... the cons of having a drug addict medical file is far worse than the risk of abusing his medication in the future.
You know what? A drug addict should have a drug addict medical file. Sorry to disappoint you.

UnanimousUser
03-20-17, 06:55 PM
Thank you for the replies. That horrible experience in December was last and only time I've stooped to such lows. My sister is an addict and she's only seventeen, that's how I was introduced. I don't have an addictive personality (if that's even a thing). I quit adderall cold turkey when I was 13 after 2 years. I Increased my own dose like uneducated idiot. I'm thinking of non stimulant meds, namely provigal. Would anyone happen to know if it has promising effects?

Postulate
03-20-17, 08:42 PM
Thank you for the replies. That horrible experience in December was last and only time I've stooped to such lows. My sister is an addict and she's only seventeen, that's how I was introduced. I don't have an addictive personality (if that's even a thing). I quit adderall cold turkey when I was 13 after 2 years. I Increased my own dose like uneducated idiot. I'm thinking of non stimulant meds, namely provigal. Would anyone happen to know if it has promising effects?

Modafinil is great, Straterra would be another good one. You don't seem to tolerate dopamine agents very well. I wouldn't discard stimulants all together so fast, only those that raise dopamine.

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 02:45 AM
The doctor is a busy person, he has to factor in many things into a treatment. The attitude of the 4 y.o. child running to his mom crying because he did something bad is not something any doctor should have to deal with. He's an adult, he drugged his head and bared the consequences.

I cant find the sources now but I used to have them. There is an actual link to people that have had actual psychosis related to speed or meth and people who fall prey to amphetamine psychosis from prescribed amphetamines. I forget the percentage and all that but basically people that have had that kind of psychosis are almost "oversensitive" or whatever to rx stimulants that have the possibility of psychosis. Amphetamine psychosis is just as scary as the kind from street drugs and it is 100% the doctors right and need to know.

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 02:49 AM
He can go to a rehab that provides absolute confidentiality if he ever needs help. His dignity and reputation is in play, and the cons of having a drug addict medical file is far worse than the risk of abusing his medication in the future.

In this instance we are not dealing with dignity and reputation, we are talking about psychosis which is truly terrifying and debilitating. If you have never experienced it, it is hard to understand. A one time binge on speed is not necessarily grounds for no stimulants from a doctor, but it can help keep the patient well monitored. I know people who have serious histories of drug abuse who sign contracts for controlled drugs that state they know they will be drug tested or in some cases have pill counts. This is so the patient can be prescribed stimulants or other controlled drugs but give the doctor a measure of safety and recourse to monitor them both legally and safely.

mryashimoto23
03-25-17, 12:45 PM
Oh man. I made a post earlier asking about the side effects of Adderall. Your' post gave me some insight. Thank you. Anyways I think I will stick to my vente starbucks coffee for now.

chronological
03-25-17, 02:46 PM
So I have been taking adderall for about seven months now. (...stupid street drug incident deleted...naughty boy, don't do that again!...)
But my adderall is absolutely useless, so today I decided to double my dose and take 40mg of ER. Obviously that was not a brilliant idea, t...

No, doubling was silly although you're still well within "normal" ranges, assuming you're not a leprechaun or something, so I doubt your head will fall off.

Look, it seems pretty simple to me. You've been on it for over half a year and you've developed tolerance. Happened to me with Vyvanse; it's normal. You now have a few options, including:

Up the dose (with doc's permission)
Switch to something else (ditto)
Stop completely for a while

I'd suggest you just go to the doc and say it's stopped working and that you'd like his/her advice on what to do next. Mention the above three if you like.

In my case, the decision was number 2. We didn't do 1 for two reasons. First, I was already on a relatively high dose. But more important, I just don't want to get into an arms race with my meds. If I'd pushed the dose up it probably would have fixed the problem -- but only for a while. Eventually my tolerance would have grown further, and then maybe I'd have had a harder time with discontinuing.

Finally, on whether to tell the doc about your street incident, or your doubling of your dose. I'm not going to give you advice either way, but I will say this. If you do tell him/her, he may be legally obliged to take note of that in your medical record, and he may also be legally or medical-ethically or similar obliged to stop prescribing you stimulant meds or any other meds of potential abuse. Don't double your dose again -- in fact, don't vary it at all unless you have doc's permission. And for heaven's sake stay away from street stuff. Idiot! :)

dvdnvwls
03-25-17, 03:15 PM
Oh man. I made a post earlier asking about the side effects of Adderall. Your' post gave me some insight. Thank you. Anyways I think I will stick to my vente starbucks coffee for now.
The original poster's experience is not a common one. Don't go by his experience unless you believe his special individual circumstances are just like your own.