View Full Version : Depression and Panic Attacks from Vyvance

Julianna.add
03-21-17, 03:03 PM
So for a little background.. I'm 16, struggled with depression and anxiety since I was 14, tried many different medications for both. Around 7 months ago I started doing cognitive behavioural therapy, seeing a psychiatrist, exercising, eating better, I stopped smoking weed and drinking on the weekend, I deleted all social media and cut out all the negative factors/people. I stopped all medications for depression and anxiety. My physiatrist and I started trailing medications for ADD, I started with concerta which I got bad side effects like anxiety from, and then strattera which did the same.

2 weeks ago I started on 20 mg of Vyvance, then a week later up to 30mg. In those 2 weeks my mood has not been great, not amazing, but not horrible. I haven't had any improved focous, but very bad anxiety later in the day and at night and slightly decreased appetite. Ihave been prescribed ativan for bad anxiety days. Yesterday I took the 30mg vyvance and 1mg ativan in the morning at around 7:30. I went to school and could not control my emotions what's so ever, I cried pretty well the whole day and had to leave school and miss my classes. I later went to work and had the worse panic attack I have ever experienced, I was dizzy and nauseous, racing heart, I then lost feeling in my hands, feet and face and couldn't move my fingers... I didn't eat much yesterday so it could have been the no food and the come down. Has anyone else experienced panic attacks and anxiety?

I also have fallen into a depressed state in the past few days, very similar to how I felt when I struggled with depression. It scares me because I don't want to go back to how I felt back then, but I want to get my ADD under control because it is affecting my grades

Have others experienced similar things?

dvdnvwls
03-21-17, 03:30 PM
It sounds exactly like the no food and the comedown.

Fix your food intake, drink extra water all day, skip the coffee and tea, and sleep well. I think you'll notice a massive improvement.

fisherfisher
03-21-17, 08:12 PM
Yes I experienced panic attacks while on vyvanse and it was likely the comedown. Others will have good suggestions to help you with that but I stopped taking it before I tried any remedies. You should talk to your doctor about it also. There is probably a way to adjust your other meds so that they can cover the comedown period if water and food intake don't help.

Postulate
03-21-17, 09:39 PM
So for a little background.. I'm 16, struggled with depression and anxiety since I was 14, tried many different medications for both. Around 7 months ago I started doing cognitive behavioural therapy, seeing a psychiatrist, exercising, eating better, I stopped smoking weed and drinking on the weekend, I deleted all social media and cut out all the negative factors/people. I stopped all medications for depression and anxiety. My physiatrist and I started trailing medications for ADD, I started with concerta which I got bad side effects like anxiety from, and then strattera which did the same.

2 weeks ago I started on 20 mg of Vyvance, then a week later up to 30mg. In those 2 weeks my mood has not been great, not amazing, but not horrible. I haven't had any improved focous, but very bad anxiety later in the day and at night and slightly decreased appetite. Ihave been prescribed ativan for bad anxiety days. Yesterday I took the 30mg vyvance and 1mg ativan in the morning at around 7:30. I went to school and could not control my emotions what's so ever, I cried pretty well the whole day and had to leave school and miss my classes. I later went to work and had the worse panic attack I have ever experienced, I was dizzy and nauseous, racing heart, I then lost feeling in my hands, feet and face and couldn't move my fingers... I didn't eat much yesterday so it could have been the no food and the come down. Has anyone else experienced panic attacks and anxiety?

I also have fallen into a depressed state in the past few days, very similar to how I felt when I struggled with depression. It scares me because I don't want to go back to how I felt back then, but I want to get my ADD under control because it is affecting my grades

Hey! How come you are terrified when you obtain reward through a dopamine increase? Did anyone in your life made you feel guilty for your achievements and joy you experienced during childhood or adulthood, instead of rewarding you with affection, as they should have?

Lloyd_
03-21-17, 11:43 PM

I used to get panic attacks really bad at your age, the good news is that they do diminish over time, I still get them (actually been having some reoccurring bouts of panic attacks recently) I learned how to control it, more or less my brain and body just shuts down and everything slows to a crawl which is better than when I would have to lock myself up in the bathroom at work or what have you. Hope that helps.

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 02:19 AM
Julianna, I am wondering, whats your diagnosis besides the adhd?

You would be surprised at how much food and drink affect stimulants. There are people who have had poor eating and drinking habits that bounce around medications and once they get the food in check its like brand new eyes!

This is one of the reasons I asked you about your diagnosis' because I wa 16 when I started showing symptoms of depression and stuff, and it turns out I am bipolar II but wasnt diagnosed until my early 20's. I had to endure a couple of hospitalizations and not being medicated for either adhd or bipolar but once stable on bipolar meds, treating the adhd has been great.
You cant have both bipolar and adhd. Dont let anyone tell you that you cant. You can also have anxiety disorders, panic disorders etc with adhd. Its not an either or thing. I am not trying to diagnose you either, I am not your doctor, you just remind me of my 16 year old self, I am an old woman of 42 now and anytime I can help steer a teen the right way I try.

Julianna.add
03-25-17, 09:21 PM
Hi! Thanks for sharing your story, I'm glad you are doing well now. I was originally diagnosed with depression at 15 and treated for that, and generalized anxiety. Like I said I got off all medications for depression and I don't suffer from that anymore. Im now diagnosed with just ADD, but I do suffer from panic attacks and anxiety as well.

I have been doing ALOT better with the Vyvance, drinking more water and making sure I eat throughout the day as made a big differencez