View Full Version : Hitting my wall at my job.

33Forward
03-21-17, 03:14 PM
I honestly can't keep up with it anymore. :(

I've been employed with this company for 18 years, most of them doing the same job. I've been able to keep up with what was expected, until the last couple years, and now I think I've hit the limit. I'm not even sure that my ADHD has anything to do with it, but I wonder if it will be used against me now that things are totally falling apart.

My boss is a self-serving, lying, cheating, master manipulator. I didn't realize the extent he will go, until the last few months.

I know how to do this job. I know how, probably as good as anyone else in my company. But it has been a steady decline in what I get for help, and a big increase in what I'm being held accountable for. Its gone from having 40 hours worth of work to do in 40 hours of time, to probably close to 3x the amount of work to do, in the same 40 hours.

Basically, what I'm up against is impossible for anyone... ADHD, neurotypical, genius, or superman. But, if (when) things go really bad, and my boss has his job at stake, I have no doubt he will throw me under the bus by any means possible to save his own skin. There is a lot that I don't get done, and it is purely because they are asking 80+ hours worth of work to be done in 40 hours, it just isn't going to happen. Things are going to fall through the cracks, some things are going to go unfinished, and not everything will get done. When the company internally audits our store, (any time within the next couple months, surprise visit) they will find all of this stuff. When we fail our audit miserably, our boss is going to have to answer for it, and write up a plan to get it fixed. Rather than admitting that my stuff isn't done because he's asking one person to do the work of 3, I have this feeling that his "plan to fix things" is going to involve my termination.

Termination is harder in my company than most. We have a union. But, my boss knows all too well that union reps can't get involved without a formal write up or reprimand. I have never been written up or reprimanded... on paper. So even though my union rep knows what is going on, he can't do anything until some formal action is taken. There are only a few ways you can be terminated immediately, without going through the formal escalation of warnings and write ups leading to termination. Which leads me to wonder if failing to disclose my ADHD is going to give him the weak spot he needs to kick me out.

What does anyone think? Has anyone else had their undisclosed ADHD come back to bite them in the rear?

dvdnvwls
03-21-17, 03:28 PM
My boss is a self-serving, lying, cheating, master manipulator. I didn't realize the extent he will go, until the last few months.

... I have no doubt he will throw me under the bus by any means possible to save his own skin.
That settles it. The rest of what you wrote hardly even matters.

It's time for you to get out, right now.

The only reason for you to stay is if you know for sure that he's going to be fired immediately, and that you're definitely not going to be fired along with him.

The way things stand at the moment, when you leave you'll be able to "spin" your departure on your resumé, that it was a deliberate career move or whatever. You probably won't be able to do that later.

33Forward
03-21-17, 05:36 PM
He may very well get fired. I don't know. It may not even go as far as I worry about. Nothing is certain. Getting out of a job I've had for 18 years, with no translatable skills to go anywhere else, is too risky unless I know I am definitely getting canned. I make a decent wage, have decent health benefits, vacation and personal time, pension, etc. This isn't the first time I've felt like I hit a wall.
When our company audits the stores, we all worry. A lot. They show up, unannounced, twice a year, more often if you fail. The last few times we've been audited, I thought I was done for, but nothing happened. This year though, I have a lot more to be accountable for, and less help, but I still don't know how it will play out.
This manager is set to retire soon. How soon, I'm not sure, but recent changes seem to indicate within a year. We have had someone playing role of assistant manager for a couple years now, but without officially being titled as such. But she was just officially titled assistant manager in the last month, and the only reason they would bother is the setup for her promotion.
Our assistant manager is very different. I've known her for many (12+) years, even though I've only been in this store for 7. She works with me, and would stick up for me if decisions are left up to her. But she is very much in the dark about what the manager is like behind everyone's back, nor how much he bends the rules but is constantly watching over his shoulder.
I talk this situation over with my therapist all the time. We've pretty much come to the conclusion that it is a matter of what happens first: Either the manager retires or is fired, or I get fired or walk out. I don't think he wants to be doing that job any longer than he has to, so he will retire as soon as he can.
If I can stick it out and outlast him, things will be better. Whomever is in charge basically makes or breaks anyone who has my job in any of our stores. I've worked for many different managers over the years, and only had problems with 2 including the current one. Everyone else has been great, and the main reason I've been able to do this for as long as I have.

I'm not the only one who has major issues with him, most departments are struggling to deal. But I just happen to be an easy target, because I am the only one doing what I do, so any blame is 100% on me. Its the major downside to doing a job that no one else knows how to, nor really wants to have.

dvdnvwls
03-21-17, 05:58 PM
Hmmmm. I see how it's complicated. I don't know.

Postulate
03-21-17, 08:13 PM
How about you focus on the problem and not on the person? This entire topic you've explained how bad of a person your manager is. Your only way out of this is not creating a Sherlock Holmes plot or act strategically, it's to work your butt until you can't sit down without a grimace.

And when your bad manager will quit, you can relax again, but now, it's butt working time.

33Forward
03-22-17, 01:15 AM
The problem is the person.
He makes the schedule, he gives my department hours (or not). I have no control over that at all.

Its not a case of working harder, or putting in more time, or more effort. I've been doing this long enough, I know I'm putting in 110%. It simply comes down to the hours he schedules.

If he was at least honest with his boss about the state of things, I wouldn't have as big a concern. But he keeps telling his boss that I'm getting everything done, on time, every week. If his boss shows up and notices anything, he says that he had no idea I was behind, and that I should have come to him for help. (Despite going to him for help, and being told that he can't afford to give me any, every single time I've asked!) So he has no problem setting me up when questioned.

I didn't post to debate my work ethic, or go into detail to just vent. I really am concerned that if pressed, my undisclosed ADHD can be used against me if he wants to fire me. I tried to paint an accurate picture of what I'm up against so people understand where I'm coming from. If you think I'm just making this stuff up, and I'm a lazy worthless human trying to get out of working, I wish you knew how wrong that is.

I've read where disclosing ADHD can easily get you fired, so keep hiding it. And I've also read where hiding it from an employer can possibly come back to haunt you as well. This is what I'm asking for opinions on. Telling me to "just work harder" is like telling anyone else here to "just focus more". :rolleyes:

fisherfisher
03-22-17, 01:39 AM
Oh man that's s***. Sorry man. Typical corporate stuff where they condense jobs and one person gets stuck with the overflow. Excuse me while I rage against the machine for a minute. 18 years is a long time to dedicate to a company and you dont deserve to worry about your job security. This situations makes me so mad for you!

I suggest you document everything and communicate with your boss through email whenever possible. This is very important if your boss is going to lie about you completing work which you have in fact told him you couldn't complete. Email that so he can't say he was unaware. Email requests for vacant positions to be filled. Email your sincere intentions to do the jobs of three people despite the company's strict dislike of overtime (assuming they are that sort of corporate). If he is going to throw you under the bus you have to be sneaky about saving your behind so document, document, document.

Is adhd something you have to disclose to employers? I dont think so. If you have been with them for 18 years clearly adhd doesn't effect your job performance so it isn't something you need accommodation for. That would be like disclosing high cholesterol. Its nobodies business if it doesn't require accommodation and you aren't on medication which makes you unsafe on the job.

How would they ever find out anyway? Unless I'm misunderstanding you don't work in a high-liability position where other people might die as the result of your work. If people might die then yes I could see nondisclosure being a problem.

Postulate
03-22-17, 09:04 AM
He makes the schedule, he gives my department hours (or not). I have no control over that at all.

Its not a case of working harder, or putting in more time, or more effort. I've been doing this long enough, I know I'm putting in 110%. It simply comes down to the hours he schedules.

If he was at least honest with his boss about the state of things, I wouldn't have as big a concern. But he keeps telling his boss that I'm getting everything done, on time, every week. If his boss shows up and notices anything, he says that he had no idea I was behind, and that I should have come to him for help. (Despite going to him for help, and being told that he can't afford to give me any, every single time I've asked!) So he has no problem setting me up when questioned.

I didn't post to debate my work ethic, or go into detail to just vent. I really am concerned that if pressed, my undisclosed ADHD can be used against me if he wants to fire me. I tried to paint an accurate picture of what I'm up against so people understand where I'm coming from. If you think I'm just making this stuff up, and I'm a lazy worthless human trying to get out of working, I wish you knew how wrong that is.

I've read where disclosing ADHD can easily get you fired, so keep hiding it. And I've also read where hiding it from an employer can possibly come back to haunt you as well. This is what I'm asking for opinions on. Telling me to "just work harder" is like telling anyone else here to "just focus more". :rolleyes:

Do you supervise other people and do you have the ability to hire or fire others?

Postulate
03-22-17, 10:58 AM

So, you thought your boss' boss cannot think for himself and has no judgement, so YOU have to come in and tell him that, in fact, you did come to your boss for help, but he didn't help you? And then he told him you were doing fine!

Maybe part of your problem could be in terms of not knowing your place very well and what's expected of you for the work you're doing. Do you think your boss is the first unjust and potentially incompetent candidate occupying that position, that your boss' boss supervised?

How well do you understand the broader-scale work dynamics?