View Full Version : Is there any scientific method to diagnose ADHD?

jhl1945
03-22-17, 01:53 AM
1. Diagnosis
I was diagnosed of ADHD after a psychological evaluation (5hr)

2.Reaction to Med
I heard some ADHD patients never feel high on stimulant, and that's me.
I've never felt euphoric on any med at any dosage (Adderall XR, IR,Vyvanse)

3.Problem
It'd be logical to conclude that I do have ADHD.
But I often feel confused if I have ADHD for real, or my comorbidity (OCD) was misdiagnosed as ADHD.

4.Question
I wonder if there's any scientific method, like brain scan or blood test, that can diagnose ADHD.

namazu
03-22-17, 02:09 AM
A thorough evaluation* by a knowledgeable doctor is currently considered the "gold standard" for diagnosis.

There are some computer-based tests and brain scans on the market, but it turns out that they are not superior to the judgment of a knowledgeable doctor in diagnosing ADHD. There are no blood tests that can reliably diagnose ADHD.

In other words, the "scientific method" has shown that for diagnosis of ADHD today, nothing beats a competent clinician using standard diagnostic protocols.

That may change in the future, as our understanding of ADHD and the brain increases, and as the technologic tools are refined.

For now, though, these tools don't make diagnosis "more scientific" -- they just cost you more money.

ADHD and OCD commonly co-occur. It is sometimes possible that a doctor could misinterpret distraction due to anxiety or OCD as ADHD, for example. However, a thorough evaluation should help a good clincian distinguish between them or determine if they co-exist.

Ultimately, the label matters less than whether the bothersome symptoms are being treated well, with few or no side effects.

*This should include a thorough medical history, educational history, developmental history, family history, and occupational history (if applicable); discussion of the symptoms that have bothered you in the past and continue to bother you now, and the impact they've had in different areas of your life; input from one or more other people who know you well (parents, spouse, long-time friend, teachers, etc.); and sometimes formal symptom rating scales.

jhl1945
03-22-17, 06:00 AM
Thank you for your insights about labeling.

I'm probably too obsessed with defining my problem rather and solving it.

kilted_scotsman
03-22-17, 07:46 AM
A DSM/ICD diagnosis is the label on the filing cabinet drawer.

Open the drawer to find all sorts of useful research and info about people with similar symptoms.

Use this to explore what works for you, because it is likely to be unique to you, but similar to many others.

Sometimes as you rifle through the drawer you can become aware that things aren't what you expected, in which case the diagnosis can be revisited and a new drawer opened.

Inevitably....if you continue rifling through stuff for long enough, you'll find cross-references.... as you explore these, you may find that the labels on the drawers become irrelevant.

Postulate
03-22-17, 10:39 AM
1. Diagnosis
I was diagnosed of ADHD after a psychological evaluation (5hr)

2.Reaction to Med
I heard some ADHD patients never feel high on stimulant, and that's me.
I've never felt euphoric on any med at any dosage (Adderall XR, IR,Vyvanse)

3.Problem
It'd be logical to conclude that I do have ADHD.
But I often feel confused if I have ADHD for real, or my comorbidity (OCD) was misdiagnosed as ADHD.

4.Question
I wonder if there's any scientific method, like brain scan or blood test, that can diagnose ADHD.

So do you feel like you're in the depths of depression and you feel no pleasure in your life, with or without meds?

I have a hard time believing that. Would you say that it's not a euphoria you develop tolerance to, and it's always at the same level?

ajaxblu
03-22-17, 12:35 PM
A DSM/ICD diagnosis is the label on the filing cabinet drawer.

Open the drawer to find all sorts of useful research and info about people with similar symptoms.

Use this to explore what works for you, because it is likely to be unique to you, but similar to many others.

Sometimes as you rifle through the drawer you can become aware that things aren't what you expected, in which case the diagnosis can be revisited and a new drawer opened.

Inevitably....if you continue rifling through stuff for long enough, you'll find cross-references.... as you explore these, you may find that the labels on the drawers become irrelevant.

Great metaphor.

dvdnvwls
03-22-17, 03:30 PM
... as you explore these, you may find that the labels on the drawers become irrelevant.
I think the drawer labels always remain relevant. It's just a question of who they're relevant for on which occasions.

jhl1945
03-22-17, 06:12 PM
So do you feel like you're in the depths of depression and you feel no pleasure in your life, with or without meds?

I think you misunderstood my wording 'any med'. I only meant amphetamines I put in parenthesis.

1. Amphetamine does affect me, significantly.
There are many factors invloved (like dose, form, timing, my condition and etc)
When factors are in tune, amphetamine benefits me.
I feel focused, calm, energized(like coffee) and etc.
Wen factors are in tune, amphetamine bothers me.
I feel hyper-focused, hard to switch between works, jittery and etc.
For example, something's not in tune right now
I kept writing and editing this post for 2 horus, which is ridiculous. :P

2.But doesn't make me high
I know how it feels to be on weed, several benzoes, ambien, halcyon and etc.

And I remember the tempations, like trying to stay awake on Ambien and taking just one more pill of Lorazepam.

Amphetamine may affect my emotion from background, but it doesn't give me the euphoric feeling that many abusers feel. It doesn't make me crave for one more pill.

Postulate
03-23-17, 02:14 PM
Jhl, it appears to me your dose of amphetamines is too high.
Hit CTRL+P on your keyboard to print this topic and show it to your doctor.

jhl1945
03-26-17, 01:58 AM
Jhl, it appears to me your dose of amphetamines is too high.
Hit CTRL+P on your keyboard to print this topic and show it to your doctor.
Thanks for the advice

I will def. do so

Bouncingoffwall
04-05-17, 07:47 PM
There is no validated test to diagnose ADHD, and if someone tries to diagnose you from a test, it's the equivalent of quackery.

A careful assessment, considering historical and current psychosocial information, from a credentialed clinician, is the only way to an ADHD diagnosis.

In California, you need to be diagnosed by a licensed professional, such as an LCSW, MD, NP, MFT, PsyD, etc.

Stevuke79
04-05-17, 07:58 PM
Scientific yes. Biological marker, no.

There are some formal questionnaires people use but ultimately the doctor looks for symptoms.

sarahsweets
04-06-17, 04:22 AM
I know you cant return the meds but I believe it is super important to bring this to the attention of the pharamacist and doctor. These kinds of mistakes could be really dangerous had it not been something in the same family of drugs. The same thing happened to med once where I was supposed to get xr but got ir. It was a mistake by the doctor and I didnt catch it on the script.