View Full Version : Stimulants affect my writing negatively

jhl1945
03-22-17, 02:56 AM
I have OCD and Adhd-inattentive.

I've been prescribed with quite high dosage of Adderall Xr, Ir, Vyvanse so far.
I just realized that I write differently while on stimulants,

Good
- I don't get distracted for a long time

Bad
- Time flies 2-3 times fast while writing something
- Inefficient since I keep editing for hours, and quite hard to control myself not to do so.
- As a result, I spend 2-3hours on a single posting or email.
- but the quality of writing isn't better.

In short, decreased productivity with increased focus.

I wonder if it's common side effect (which I should learn how To deal with)
Or it means my dosage might be too high.

Pilgrim
03-22-17, 05:42 AM
Your dose is to high.

jhl1945
03-22-17, 05:56 AM
Thanks.

I should talk about it during my next appointment.

LowBudget
03-22-17, 08:00 AM
Bad
- Inefficient since I keep editing for hours, and quite hard to control myself not to do so.

I am like that on meds or not.. despite taking sometimes hours on a post I am often appalled when I read it later.

Fuzzy12
03-22-17, 08:18 AM
How are your other tasks going? Is the problem only with writing?

It could be that your dose is too high or maybe you need to use some behavioural tools to help you focus on the right thing.

E.Eg. a timer that notifies you after a period of time that you need to stop editing right now and move on.

Just write as thing come into your mind and do any editing later (again and fixed time allowed for editing might help)

On addf the software only allows you to edit for 30 min or so. So you could write your post without any editing, then post it and then edit it (this would minimise the editing time to 30min).

Postulate
03-22-17, 01:23 PM
Your dose is OCD inducing. You make too much effort tweaking the text until you think it's perfect.

jhl1945
03-22-17, 03:37 PM
Your dose is OCD inducing. You make too much effort tweaking the text until you think it's perfect.
Yeah it's actually my lifetime (bad) habit...

And probably high dosage of med aggravated it

jhl1945
03-22-17, 03:48 PM
How are your other tasks going? Is the problem only with writing?

It could be that your dose is too high or maybe you need to use some behavioural tools to help you focus on the right thing.

E.Eg. a timer that notifies you after a period of time that you need to stop editing right now and move on.

Just write as thing come into your mind and do any editing later (again and fixed time allowed for editing might help)

On addf the software only allows you to edit for 30 min or so. So you could write your post without any editing, then post it and then edit it (this would minimise the editing time to 30min).
i had no problem focusing for 12 hours during my internship, which was long before diagnosis.
Ironically, I begin to read chapter one the day before midterm, in school.
(Tried to fix this habit for 10 years)

'Beginning' is the hardest part for me
The more I want to do something (study, work out and etc.) the harder it becomes.

Adhd med unfortunately doesn't seem to help this problem.
Guess it's more of a behavioral problem that medication cant fix.

jhl1945
03-22-17, 03:50 PM
I am like that on meds or not.. despite taking sometimes hours on a post I am often appalled when I read it later.
Do u take high dosage?

Johnny Slick
03-23-17, 01:17 AM
My experience with writing is that the first draft is the first draft whether you spend a bunch of hours on it or not. As it applies to stuff like emails, yeah, spending that much time on them is probably not something you'll want to do. Are you new to taking these meds? It might be that your meds are too high but it might also be that you just need to figure out how to manage with them. I don't suffer from OCD but I also know I went through a stage where I'd just latch onto stuff and not let go because my whole life pre-ADHD medication involved being able to mull over stuff and then just allowing the thought to flow away as 19 more take its place. The overall effect was and is great but I had to more or less learn how to not obnoxiously hone in on things.

Above and beyond all else, I would really, really recommend you talk to your therapist about this.

aeon
03-23-17, 10:59 AM
On Dex, I tend to write with an economy of words.

Off of it, my writing can become an art in and of itself aside from the message within, sometimes reaching the point of being florid.

In either case, I tend to write and do a bare modicum of editing, if any at all.

Cheers,
Ian

ajaxblu
03-23-17, 11:29 AM
I have many of the issues you guys are talking about here. When I write fiction, I just start writing and writing huge expanses so I can get it all on the page before I forget it. Then, when I can get into hyperfocus, I go back and perfect it for hours. Sometimes this is a problem because I can't outline to save my life - so everything I've written is stream of conscious and I have to pick through it to perfect it. I know what it all means so no biggie, unless I don't get back to it for weeks or months and then sometimes I have no clue what I'd been talking about. Also I tend to create a few alternate versions of whatever I write in case they're better than the first one (because I can't make decisions).

I see other writers in my writers group seem to be just fine with people seeing a rough draft and fine with sharing only one version, but that drives me nuts - no one can see it till it's perfect, and I can't let go of my alternate ideas in case they're more "perfect." I've found that this has prevented me from getting much of anything ever completed. Also, I either ramble on and on and freaking on, or I'll do exactly the opposite and be so brief people wonder if I'm being curt. No in between.

I have the same issues with all my other creative ventures. For example, with photography, I'll take several shots of the same composition, just in case one was blurry or whatever. Then I'll change it just slightly in case it looks better this new way, and take several shots of that, just in case. And I'll do this in multiple different locations or groupings or whatever, depending on whether I'm shooting people or animals or products or macro or sports. I have to have an assistant when I do shoots to keep me on track. By the time I get to the computer to process, I have hundreds, sometimes thousands of photos I have to sift through and have to narrow down to maybe 50 shots. And with my decision-making skills, this takes forever and is stressful. Then, each of those shots needs to be processed absolutely perfectly. Etc.

I've never considered the possibility that people could have both ADHD and OCD, but Wow.

After reading this thread, I found this old thread that might be helpful...

www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111003 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111003)

Letching Gray
03-28-17, 09:10 AM
Without meds I can just barely read and write, "barely" being the operative word. Without meds, I wouldn't think of the word "barely".

DJ Bill
03-28-17, 10:11 AM
Edit? Who me???
One of the downfalls of my daily writing career is that I tend to be too wordy and can't stand spelling or punctuation errors. I can edit the heck out of an eBay listing and take 2 hours doing it. Not good.

Funny you mention photography - I also take the pictures and can take way too much time doing that as well. Cropping is my friend as well as the auto sharpen and color correct on some things.

Now handwriting is a whole 'nother issue. I have looked at my hand write a completely different letter or word than I'm intending to at the time. And my signature is ok for the first few letters of each word but by the time I get to my last two letters in my 6 letter last name, I am taking too long and just squiggle.

ajaxblu
03-29-17, 09:06 AM
Now handwriting is a whole 'nother issue. I have looked at my hand write a completely different letter or word than I'm intending to at the time. And my signature is ok for the first few letters of each word but by the time I get to my last two letters in my 6 letter last name, I am taking too long and just squiggle.

Yep, in my head I have this fantastic original handwriting but I've become notorious in some circles for sloppiness. It starts out brilliantly, but it takes too long or too much effort to sustain so I hurry the rest. I often rewrite truly unimportant notes numerous times because I want it to look perfect. I have to make a very concerted effort to keep a note to my kids' teachers legible. Sometimes I write half the note and come back and finish it later so it stays fresh (if I can remember what I was going to say).

One thing I did learn for my signature is make sure the beginning letter of each my first and last name look fantastic and allow the remaining letters of each to be squiggles.

Lloyd_
04-18-17, 08:21 PM
I have OCD and Adhd-inattentive.

I've been prescribed with quite high dosage of Adderall Xr, Ir, Vyvanse so far.
I just realized that I write differently while on stimulants,

Good
- I don't get distracted for a long time

Bad

I wonder if it's common side effect (which I should learn how To deal with)
Or it means my dosage might be too high.

How much mg of each? Adderall XR and IR?! :eek: I was on both at once awhile back (XR 30mg 2x a day and IR 20mg 1x a day) and I was tweaking hardcore, it was really bad. Now I take just the IR 20 mg 3x (sometimes 4x if I have to cram for school work) Just take multiple breaks between your work editing, you'll notice those 'typos' if you step away from the PC for a little bit.