View Full Version : Quick questions for recently diagnosed

Streakz87
03-23-17, 12:21 PM
I recently was diagnosed with severe ADHD and my dr started me off on 10 mg of a generic adderall, I'm 30, about 5'10 and weigh 208 with normal blood pressure.

He prescribed me 10 mg IR pills once a day for 30 days; I feel like I start to almost feel them working but it almost feels like I just drank a cup of coffee and it wears off after like 3 hours. Is it possible to get a new prescription already or do I have to wait for this one to run out? I'm only on day 2 but I feel like even 10 mg twice a day would be a better place to be easing in to it?

Also I feel like I still don't get very focused with what I have now, it's more of an energy boost, does that sound like how t should feel without being too much?

sarahsweets
03-23-17, 12:54 PM
I recently was diagnosed with severe ADHD and my dr started me off on 10 mg of a generic adderall, I'm 30, about 5'10 and weigh 208 with normal blood pressure. Is this IR or XR?

He prescribed me 10 mg IR pills once a day for 30 days; I feel like I start to almost feel them working but it almost feels like I just drank a cup of coffee and it wears off after like 3 hours. Is it possible to get a new prescription already or do I have to wait for this one to run out? I'm only on day 2 but I feel like even 10 mg twice a day would be a better place to be easing in to it?

If you are talking about IR adderall then, it makes sense that it would wear off after 3-4 hours because thats about how long IR meds last. If you need a dose increase you need to either see your doc to discuss it, or speak with him and see if he will let you increase your dose on your own with the meds you currently have. If you do end up with a dose increase and a new script, the insurance and pharmacy should fill it because of the new dosing.

Johnny Slick
03-23-17, 01:24 PM
Yeah, there's nothing out of the ordinary about what you're experiencing that I can see, although I will say that personally I don't think it *quite* feels like a cup of coffee (I have severely curbed my coffee intake since I started taking Ritalin but even so) in that if anything it has a calming rather than the "jittery" effect caffeine tends to have on me. Otherwise I think the bigger things to look out for are things like a headache or nausea (I think your appetite being curbed is completely normal - you're taking diet pills, after all! but you shouldn't feel like you want to throw up all the time).

There is a part of me, I have to say, that watches musical numbers from the 1960s like this one and wonders how many folks were just unconsciously self-medicating for ADHD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIX_yZAkblI

Traveler5
03-23-17, 02:49 PM
That's a pretty low dose even for just starting Adderall. I suggest you give it 10 days or so then call your doctor to see if he/she will bump up the dosage to 20mg of IR per day -- maybe 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon. Tell them it doesn't seem to be helping at 10mg. I'm on 40mg of Adderall IR (20mg in the morning and another 20mg in early afternoon).

Maybe suggest to your doctor for the 20mg XR (extended release) capsule instead of IR which only lasts for up to 4-5 hours per tablet.

Streakz87
03-23-17, 03:10 PM
Ok cool, I was just thinking why wouldn't he just set me up with a 15 day testing period rather than a full month until I find the right dosage. I'm guessing 30 days might be the lowest amount you can get (I've never had a prescription for anything before so I don't know if they have a minimum they can prescribe you)

i don't get jitters but I don't get that with coffee either, is it bad if I get a headache like 12 hours later? I've only taken it twice now and the 2nd day I didn't get one, I also didn't have any issue with getting hungry, I ate three meals with no problems both days

Streakz87
03-23-17, 03:12 PM
While I have everyone's attention, I saw a lot of people take similar supplements like magnesium and a couple others, should I look into taking him them? My doctor literally just said, we will start you off on adderall and see how it goes and that was it. No type of things to look out for, avoid, or any other type of information.

namazu
03-23-17, 03:20 PM
You may want to start by reading about the medication, including how to take it and side effects to watch out for. Here's some useful information from MedlinePlus. (https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a601234.html)

If you normally drink a lot of caffeine, you may want to limit that, because caffeine is also a stimulant, and the combination can increase the risk of unpleasant side effects.

Otherwise, eating a regular, healthy diet, and making sure you're staying hydrated, should be all you really need. Some people do take vitamin supplements and find them helpful, but that tends to be an individual thing.

I hope the medication will work well for you!

Johnny Slick
03-23-17, 04:29 PM
While I have everyone's attention, I saw a lot of people take similar supplements like magnesium and a couple others, should I look into taking him them? My doctor literally just said, we will start you off on adderall and see how it goes and that was it. No type of things to look out for, avoid, or any other type of information.Magnesium et al probably aren't going to help with ADHD symptoms terribly much, I don't think. From what we know of the condition, it's caused by your brain either not getting access to enough dopamine, and in turn this causing the part of it that filters out external stimuli to not work as well as it ought to (I believe that it's also been shown, more recently, that that part of the brain actually tends to be smaller in ADHDers than in the regular population). Stimulants help to kind of wake that part of the brain up and getting it working properly. I could be way off but I'm not sure that there's a known mechanism for magnesium to affect that in any way. It's possible that you have a magnesium deficiency, I guess, but that's probably something left to your GP to figure out.

If nothing else I would try to find a medication and dosage that works for you first and then only after you've monitored yourself for a few weeks to understand what it's doing to you, *then* try supplements. And totally listen to what everyone else here said too, especially namasu: stay hydrated or you might get headaches. Make sure you eat regularly - it's harder to do on ADHD meds - and try to exercise if you're not already doing so.

unstableAngel
03-23-17, 05:32 PM
i agree that you more than likely require a higher dose. Your Pdoc was probably just being cautious by starting you on the lowest dose. Along with proper does its important to be on the right medication for you. It can be a process, especially with generic medications. But hang in there you'll find it! I just recently found a generic that works for me. Huge difference! All the best & welcome :)

PaulCamR
03-24-17, 12:41 AM
Personal factors play a big role. Two that come to mind are:
1. Your rate of digestion.
2. In terms of the bigger picture, how you react to the medication (upping the meds doesn't always equate to better results, since sometimes the med itself isn't the right one for you).

Adderall IR is intended to last 4-6 hours, so 3 hours is about right. I saw a video where a 200lb-ish guy talked about how he's been using Adderall for 10+ years, he's successful, and he has been taking 10mg XR. Just something to think about in terms of dosage. 10mg IR is a decent amount (equivalent to taking 20mg XR, but with less duration).

I'm probably not a typical responder to any ADHD medication (or I just don't notice things well), but I would caution you on one thing: Noticing the meds, and the meds working, are not two dependent things. The meds can work, and you might not notice them. So, as far as duration of effect goes, it can be a little bit difficult to discern when the meds really do drop off or kick in. Be careful about opting for a higher dose, and building up your tolerance too quickly (Don't chase after feeling it, even if 'feeling it' isn't a high. I know what 'feeling it' is, it's not a high, it's just reassuring knowing you're under the effects. It's best, though, to aim for therapeutic benefits only, though the two may overlap anyways. Focusing only on 'feeling it' can end up meaning you shoot past an appropriate dosage, and hit a dose level that pushes your tolerance levels higher, too quickly.)

I take 25mg XR, which is roughly equivalent to 12.5mg IR twice spaced apart by ~4 hours or so. I feel as though my tolerance has already gone up a fair bit, it's hard to say as I'm not through 30 of mine yet. But starting at 25mg XR, it was about right. There's ups and downs within a 10 hour window, but duration is around 7-10 hours with XR (if you counted the lulls though in that 7-10 hour window, might be closer to 5-7 hours duration). I weigh 220lbs. Just for some comparison.