View Full Version : Can't quit weed

icantbelive93
03-23-17, 04:05 PM
Hey everyone,

So I had a pretty heavy pot habit for a few years and quit for the most part (with the occasional exception) around 3 months ago. The thing is these past 3 months have been pretty stress-free and good.

However, since finding out I have to work again in a few weeks I have been feeling slightly depressed and have the biggest urge to smoke again. I really want to quit and I want to work again and do something but i'm soooo worried about going back to work. My thoughts are so negative and I just wonna smoke.

I can't distract myself either and just focus on something else. That's impossible. I've tried.

Any tips? Anyone with a similar problem? What do you do?
Thanks guys:)

sarahsweets
03-23-17, 04:43 PM
Hey everyone,

So I had a pretty heavy pot habit for a few years and quit for the most part (with the occasional exception) around 3 months ago. The thing is these past 3 months have been pretty stress-free and good.

However, since finding out I have to work again in a few weeks I have been feeling slightly depressed and have the biggest urge to smoke again. I really want to quit and I want to work again and do something but i'm soooo worried about going back to work. My thoughts are so negative and I just wonna smoke.

I can't distract myself either and just focus on something else. That's impossible. I've tried.

Any tips? Anyone with a similar problem? What do you do?
Thanks guys:)

What helped you quit the first time? For me as an alcoholic, I found help in a 12 step program but the principles are the same. You have to want to stay sober more than you want to get high/drunk. You have to have different coping skills that you developed to replace the bad ones that involved mood altering. You need a support system or network. You need someone or something to help track your progress staying sober. You need to deal with whatever it is that makes you want to use substances to begin with or its an endless road that repeats over and over again.

Postulate
03-24-17, 12:01 AM
What helped you quit the first time? For me as an alcoholic, I found help in a 12 step program but the principles are the same. You have to want to stay sober more than you want to get high/drunk. You have to have different coping skills that you developed to replace the bad ones that involved mood altering. You need a support system or network. You need someone or something to help track your progress staying sober. You need to deal with whatever it is that makes you want to use substances to begin with or its an endless road that repeats over and over again.

I have a different perspective here. The OP has made a nice post today, in the substance addiction section, trying to tell us that he does not want to go to work because he is scared to quit weed, thus, he is addicted to weed, and his addiction is preventing an otherwise happy career.

Is the reality him not wanting to work because he's scared of quitting weed, or in fact, that he does not want to quit weed because he's scared to go to work?

cobain67
03-24-17, 01:35 AM
I have a different perspective here. The OP has made a nice post today, in the substance addiction section, trying to tell us that he does not want to go to work because he is scared to quit weed, thus, he is addicted to weed, and his addiction is preventing an otherwise happy career.

Is the reality him not wanting to work because he's scared of quitting weed, or in fact, that he does not want to quit weed because he's scared to go to work?

I believe he wants assistance managing his emotions about going back to work in a healthier way than resorting to marijuana.

dvdnvwls
03-24-17, 01:47 AM
I may be far wrong in what I'm about to say, and if I am, please disregard it.

I think many people who are addicted to something are blinded by guilt. Like they feel so horrible about being addicted that when it comes to that topic they can't think straight.

And also (at the same time) feel they have to defend against ways the addiction might be taken away, and when they defend like that it also tends to disable reasonable judgment.

And very often, addiction is to things that blunt the emotions and make the emotions less scary, easier to handle.

That creates a problem (out-of-control emotions due to addiction) that is also supposedly its own solution (addiction due to out-of-control emotions).

With ADHD, we have far too easy an entry point to this rotating enigma, since our emotions are out of control a great deal of the time anyway.

There's also shame, shame that might make people with out-of-control emotions look for plausible ways to deny that those emotions are a problem.

It all seems to swirl around endlessly.

Is this a Gordian knot problem? (The one where no one had ever been able to untie a certain trick knot, until one challenger came along and slashed it in half with a sword).

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 02:25 AM

I see it differently. The OP stated they already quit weed, but have anxiety about going back to work and want help to not pick up the weed habit again.

Postulate
03-24-17, 09:12 AM

However, since finding out I have to work again in a few weeks I have been feeling slightly depressed and have the biggest urge to smoke again.
How can you be stress-free without income?
When a job starts, where is the excitement about that new opportunity?

icantbelive93
03-24-17, 09:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I think the urge to smoke comes from it being really difficult dealing with the emotions of feeling like a failure in an academic/job wise sense. I wish I could be successful but i'm not and never have been and it hurts so much. Weed helps me forget my failures and fear of continuing failure.

mildadhd
03-24-17, 08:03 PM

I get the urge to self-medicate when I am distressed (Aka, anxiety, scared, nervous, FEAR system/flight response, separation anxiety, GRIEF system/sad response, etc...)

m

Postulate
03-24-17, 09:35 PM
I get the urge to self-medicate when I am distressed (Aka, anxiety, scared, nervous, FEAR system/flight response, separation anxiety, GRIEF system/sad response, etc...)

m

I can relate to that.

sarahsweets
03-25-17, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I think the urge to smoke comes from it being really difficult dealing with the emotions of feeling like a failure in an academic/job wise sense. I wish I could be successful but i'm not and never have been and it hurts so much. Weed helps me forget my failures and fear of continuing failure.
This is why I mentioned learning what issues and fears are behind the urge to mood-alter. I am not saying that to be all recovery up yo' butt or anything. I am saying that when people use a substance and cant control how much or when they want to use it, obsess or think about it often, its because they rely on that substance as a coping skill and as a way to alter the mood or feelings they are having. Does that make you an addict? Not for me to say. For me, it does, because it didnt matter what kind of feelings I had, good or bad- I had unhealthy coping skills developed so that I felt I needed to enhance, or alter my mood.

You say weed helps you forget your feelings- what feelings do you want to forget? Is the desire to alter your mood and escape those feelings stronger than the desire to stay sober and face life? There are many ways to work on this.
One thing is for sure- you have to let go of the actual shame for having these fears or feelings and that you want to smoke the weed to let them go. Shame will kill you. No joke. It is like gas on the fire. You feel shame over something silly like working, you feel so afraid you smoke weed. You smoke the weed and feel terrible and weak for giving in. Then you feel guilt and shame all over again. Rinse and repeat.

dvdnvwls
03-25-17, 05:52 PM
Talking about self medication - it would be great, if it worked. There are so many things a person can have, things that seem so promising - but the fact we have an addiction section on the forum unfortunately demonstrates that the things don't live up to the hype.

Pilgrim
03-26-17, 04:56 AM
Learning the art of quietly not giving a ****. Sorry about the word.

I found that once I could put a choke hold on certain emotions life was easier. I do fear when they resurface.

This does seem to be the problem. Maybe this is anxiety and the fear of failings.

dvdnvwls
03-26-17, 05:51 AM
Equal and opposite reaction. If you put a choke-hold on certain emotions, it's only a matter of time before those emotions turn around and put a choke-hold on you.

Also, you can't perform a choke hold and keep both hands free. Maintaining your grip takes constant effort and concentration.

I know you meant it metaphorically, but your metaphor is far too good, far too realistic to be "just a metaphor".

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 05:25 AM
How are you doing "Icantbelieve"?

icantbelive93
04-05-17, 12:37 PM
Oh hey sorry didn't see your post till now. I haven't smoked so that's good:) it's hard but i'm taking it one day at a time. Thanks for asking:)

icantbelive93
04-05-17, 12:39 PM
How are you doing "Icantbelieve"?

Oh hey sorry didn't see your post till now. I haven't smoked so that's good:) it's hard but i'm taking it one day at a time. Thanks for asking:)