View Full Version : Ritalin LA vs IR

adhbee
03-23-17, 05:58 PM
Hi all. I was taking the sandoz generic of ritalin ir 10mg for a couple of weeks. It seemed to have pros and cons. It would give me more energy, make me more social, and boost my productivity for a bit while active. When it wore off I'd be tired and sometimes depressed (not so great, occurred to me after the med switch mentioned ahead. messaged doc).

I saw my doctor a few days ago and since there were the benefits, he suggested trying the longer acting form for morning with immediate in the afternoon as needed. I took my first dose of generic 20mg ritalin la yesterday and didn't notice much of a lift, but was very tired in the afternoon. This may have been a lack of sleep, so I tried to get a better sleep last night. Today I noticed a lack of beneficial affect as well, and instead have had a moderate headache/been somewhat cranky. Tired as well but headaches always take my energy away. As a note, I haven't taken the IR in the afternoon (actually not sure what time I should take that if the LA is supposed to last 8hr.. suppose I should message the pharmacy).

Is it normal for two forms of the same medication to have different effects? Hopefully it's just an adjustment thing..

Dopamine 12
03-29-17, 06:54 AM
Looks like you have been on a similar road to me I to started out on dexies but after a few years they stopped being effective. So I now take ritalin la. I find the IR pills to be too much of a up and down. 10mg of IR ritalin was more than enough for me. I am currently prescribed ritalin la 30mg and that is actually to strong for me so I empty half my capsule out. Anyway for me the la version works by immediately releasing half the dose then releasing the other half four hours later. The first release I notice but I barley notice the second release. I only get about 5-6 hrs coverage from one pill so I take one first thing in the morning and my second dose 6 hrs later giving me a solid 10 to 12 hr effect. You may just need to go up to 30mg la twice daily. Iam going to give concerta a go as I find the LA version gives me stomach aches, that's my only complaint apart from ritalin not being as good as the dexies once were.

sarahsweets
04-01-17, 06:41 AM
Hi all. I was taking the sandoz generic of ritalin ir 10mg for a couple of weeks. It seemed to have pros and cons. It would give me more energy, make me more social, and boost my productivity for a bit while active. When it wore off I'd be tired and sometimes depressed (not so great, occurred to me after the med switch mentioned ahead. messaged doc).

I saw my doctor a few days ago and since there were the benefits, he suggested trying the longer acting form for morning with immediate in the afternoon as needed. I took my first dose of generic 20mg ritalin la yesterday and didn't notice much of a lift, but was very tired in the afternoon. This may have been a lack of sleep, so I tried to get a better sleep last night. Today I noticed a lack of beneficial affect as well, and instead have had a moderate headache/been somewhat cranky. Tired as well but headaches always take my energy away. As a note, I haven't taken the IR in the afternoon (actually not sure what time I should take that if the LA is supposed to last 8hr.. suppose I should message the pharmacy).

Is it normal for two forms of the same medication to have different effects? Hopefully it's just an adjustment thing..

Its completely normal due to how they work and are released.