View Full Version : I don't have adhd.

scythe82
03-23-17, 07:19 PM
ADHD runs in my family but for these three reasons I don't think I've got it.

1. psychotic delusions
2. I got high on cocaine
3. coffee keeps me awake

I see a psychiatrist on monday but really I don't think I've got this and my family doesn't think I've got it either.

namazu
03-23-17, 07:23 PM
None of those 3 things necessarily rules out ADHD, if you have a history of ADHD symptoms and associated impairment.

However, if you are experiencing delusions and have a history of cocaine use, then it sounds like it's still an excellent idea to have an evaluation by a psychiatrist, even if you don't think you have ADHD.

I hope the evaluation provides some clarity. Best wishes!

scythe82
03-23-17, 07:28 PM
I'm on antipsychotics for the delusions. On my fathers side of the family there's a few people been diagnosed with adhd and one of them is my brother. But I just think I'm looking for an excuse.

Fuzzy12
03-23-17, 07:34 PM
As far as I know none of the three reasons you mentioned have got anything to do with you having or not having adhd.

Like namazu said definitely keep your psychiatrist appointment.

namazu
03-23-17, 07:49 PM
I'm on antipsychotics for the delusions. On my fathers side of the family there's a few people been diagnosed with adhd and one of them is my brother. But I just think I'm looking for an excuse.
As you probably know, psychosis itself (even without ADHD) can also be associated with executive function impairments. Antipsychotic medications can also affect cognition in different ways.

I'm not sure what you feel like you need an "excuse" for, or whether ADHD is it. In any case, it seems reasonable to discuss whatever problems you're having with the doctor to see if there might be ways to help.

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 01:43 AM
When you say you got high on cocaine did you mean because you felt high when you used cocaine then you cant possibly have adhd? Alot of people think that if you get wound up on a stimulant lie cocaine, coffee, nicotine etc, then it means you do not have adhd. Thats not accurate, especially with cocaine. Many people with adhd have used cocaine and gotten high.

EDIT- i dont want to encourage anyone to continue the discussion about whether you get or got high from cocaine or not, it was just one point I needed to make.

scythe82
03-24-17, 10:30 AM
I've only took coke about 5 times and that was years ago. Every time I took it I got high on it.

Johnny Slick
03-24-17, 12:25 PM
One important bit to remember, too, about ADHD medication as opposed to recreational stimulants like cocaine is that you're likely going to be using a *much* smaller dose of the former. Yes, if you're getting high you're taking "too much" in medication terms. Even with caffeine... yes, coffee can wake me up (although caffeine is tricky because you get addicted to it *really* quickly and within like a week it becomes less "coffee wakes me up" as much as "if I don't drink my morning cuppa I remain groggy") but it's definitely a different experience than what I get from Ritalin.

I would generally focus less on what stimulants do to you and look more into the symptoms. And FWIW a skeptical attitude towards whether or not you have this particular condition is healthy! Just realize that part of being skeptical is recognizing that people who have studied a subject for years probably know more than you do about it, so I would be open to whatever your psych tells you, even if they do say that they think you've got this condition.

scythe82
03-24-17, 04:31 PM
I forgot to mention that everytime I took cocaine I had been drinking alcohol. I've never taken cocaine sober so I don't know if that changes anything.