View Full Version : OK to take Zyrtec while on Ritalin?

ajaxblu
03-24-17, 08:22 AM
Does anyone know if it's safe? I can't call the pharmacist till much later in the day and wondered if anyone here takes Zyrtec for allergies while on Ritalin.

I found an old thread below about Adderall and Zyrtec and I don't see anything glaring on the Ritalin facts so I'm assuming it's fine but just wanted to ask.

www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70752 (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70752)

sarahsweets
03-24-17, 09:17 AM
Obviously then doctor or pharmacist is your best bet. But, if memory serves they are ok together except I think 'D' versions of allergy meds and be a little stimulating? Like Claritan D, Allegra D, not sure if Zyertec has a D version. My experiences is the D class always made me feel a little speedy. Not sure why.

ajaxblu
03-24-17, 09:19 AM
Thank you Sarah :)

Little Missy
03-24-17, 09:42 AM
Obviously then doctor or pharmacist is your best bet. But, if memory serves they are ok together except I think 'D' versions of allergy meds and be a little stimulating? Like Claritan D, Allegra D, not sure if Zyertec has a D version. My experiences is the D class always made me feel a little speedy. Not sure why.

Dextromethorphan perhaps?

namazu
03-24-17, 10:29 AM
The "D" is for "with decongestant" -- used to be pseudoephedrine; now that there are more restrictions on sale of pseudoephedrine, it's sometimes phenylephrine.

Both are stimulants, which might explain the speedy feeling (and the recommendation not to mix "D" versions with stimulants).

In general, non-"D" allergy meds with stimulant ADHD meds aren't contraindicated -- in other words, they're sometimes prescribed together -- but be alert to side effects, and clear it with a pharmacist or doctor.

ajaxblu
03-24-17, 10:56 AM
Thanks everyone!