View Full Version : Which US states include ADD meds in their medical assistance programs?

AndrwAR471105
03-24-17, 05:10 PM
I'm 47yo and just started taking Adderall for the first time. And it seems to be working, if not exactly as hoped. It definitely makes me more sociable, energetic, and out-going, which then improves my mood. But I'm not sure yet if it is helping my focus problem. I started with a 30-day script for 10mg. And am now about half way through a 30-day script for 30mgXR.

Here's the problem: I got the prescription in AZ, where their medical assistance program covers 100% of the cost. But now I'm in TX, where I just found out that starting this year, their assistance programs will not cover "controlled substances" like ADD meds at all. So I'd have to pay full price (about $200/month) in TX if I want to continue taking Adderall here (if I can even get a prescription in TX, since the AZ prescription can only be refilled in AZ).

But I am broke, homeless, and living in my car, while supporting two daughters. And my current supply will run out in a couple weeks. So I need to find out which state medical programs for the poor still offer assistance for ADD meds (it's way too hot to live in your car in AZ right now!). I've been trying to find current information online but my searches are coming up empty. Colorado would be my first choice if possible, because my eldest daughter's family is planning to move there soon.

Anybody have national data for this? If not, if you could just tell me about your specific state, that would be helpful too. Thanks!

sarahsweets
03-26-17, 11:20 AM
https://www.pparx.org/prescription_assistance_programs/lilly_cares

This partnership has helped a lot of people without insurance or poor insurance.
Also some people say goodrx.com helps.

AndrwAR471105
04-10-17, 01:12 PM
Thanks Sarah, but according to your link, they don't have Adderall or any similar "controlled substances" under their "Product(s) Covered by Program" list. The only one I see listed that I recognize as being for ADD is Strattera (which , as a non-stimulant, from what I've read isn't nearly as effective as the stimulant drugs).

And, more importantly, my first problem is just being able to get a prescription outside of Arizona in the first place. Some states make it very difficult for those on state medical assistance programs to get scripts for Adderall and similar drugs (with a process that can take many months) and some states (like Arizona) make it very quick and easy.

So my #1 question is:
Which states are easiest to get an Adderall prescription quickly through their state medical assistance programs? And is Colorado one of them?

My primary cost concern isn't the drug itself but the doctor visits necessary to get prescribed the drug. For example, if I had thousands of dollars to pay for private doctor appointments out of pocket, I could probably get my Adderall script tomorrow. But when using services for low-income people, it can take several months in some states to even get an appointment.

aeon
04-10-17, 05:55 PM
Last time I was under an assistance program here in MN, they covered all psychostimulants...generics, of course, if available.

Ritalin - methylphenidate
Focalin - dexmethylphenidate
Concerta - methylphenidate
Dexedrine - dextroamphetamine sulfate
Adderall - mixed amphetamine salts
Vyvanse - lisdexamfetamine dimesylate
Desoxyn - methamphetamine hydrochloride

Cheers,
Ian

finallyfound10
04-10-17, 07:42 PM
I received free Concerta from the Johnson & Johnson Patient Assistance Program. I think that all of the Pharma companies have something similar.

I am worried about you living in your car. Are there places near you that can help with finding a place and apply for TANF (cash benefits for families), SNAP (food stamps) and medicaid (medical assistance)?

AndrwAR471105
04-13-17, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the concern, but living in a car isn't so bad. In fact, it's becoming increasingly common. There are even several youtube channels by people who live in their car and give advice on how to do it safely.
(btw, I have SNAP but don't qualify for the others)

thaney
04-28-17, 10:31 AM
PA's Medicaid seems to not cover these; it would not cover Concerta or Adderall for me. Furthermore, I am learning that since I am on Medicaid, I am *not allowed* to pay for my own medication out of pocket!

It's also rather humid here... which isn't a pleasant car-living environment! ;)

I hope you find what you're looking for soon.

sarahsweets
04-28-17, 12:32 PM
PA's Medicaid seems to not cover these; it would not cover Concerta or Adderall for me. Furthermore, I am learning that since I am on Medicaid, I am *not allowed* to pay for my own medication out of pocket!

It's also rather humid here... which isn't a pleasant car-living environment! ;)

I hope you find what you're looking for soon.

Check out my response in your other thread about paying cash for your meds.

thaney
04-29-17, 06:52 AM
Check out my response in your other thread about paying cash for your meds.

I'm still finding a lot of conflicting information on the topic. There seem to be many instances where Medicaid patients are not allowed to pay out of pocket for various services.

AndrwAR471105
06-10-17, 03:16 PM
UPDATE:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've now been in Boulder, CO for three weeks and have signed up with Colorado's state Medicaid program. They do cover ADD meds/stimulants!, but as with most aid programs, things can move at a snail's pace. I made sure to tell them I'm down to less than half a 30-day bottle and I need to get a new state script ASAP. So they had my AZ subscriber forward their files and thus hopefully I can get a new script when I see the doc next Tuesday.

Btw, due to it's high altitude and arid climate, the Denver/Boulder area is a great place to live in one's car during the Summer.