View Full Version : Secondary Prescription Insurance?

talyondrake
03-25-17, 12:44 PM
Hey everyone,

I was just prescribed Strattera 60mg from my Dr as it is a non-stimulant and I just finished the 45 day starter pack and got 1 free month from a website. The problem comes next month. With my UnitedHealthcare insurance through work, one month will cost $441.29 and the voucher will only save me $75 here on out for 11 more months.

Does anyone out there have any idea about an insurance plan that I can get as a secondary insurance so I don't have to file for bankruptcy until a generic does come out (hopefully in May 2017)?

UnitedHealthCare said the reason it costs so much is because it is classified as a Tier 3 medication (non-prefered) on a rating of 1-4 with the cost going up for each Tier. I know Tier 4 is stuff like insulin and there are diabetics that don't have to file bankruptcy in order to live.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

namazu
03-25-17, 04:01 PM
I'd have suggested Lilly's patient assistance program, but if I'm reading it right, it looks like if you have insurance other than Medicare Part D, it won't cover you. :(

Have you checked GoodRx (dot com)? There you can type in the name of the med, dose, and your zip code, and it will tell you how much each local pharmacy is charging. You may be able to shop around a bit.

Another possibility: Strattera seems to like to ply doctors with a lot of trial packs or starter packs. Any chance your doc might have one or two lying around that would let you cobble together the doses you need?

talyondrake
03-25-17, 04:33 PM
I have tried GoodRx, it was around the same cost everywhere. I was actually planning on talking with the Dr about kidnapping one or two of his trial/starter packs. Hopefully he will let me.