View Full Version : Saw my doctor, Referred me to see a Psychologist/Psychiatrist

Xiuying
03-26-17, 01:02 AM
So after going to college for the third time and not being able to concentrate on my school work again(dropped our twice before). I decided to go to a doctor and tell him what's up.

Told him.

Issues concentrating
Easily Distracted(taking me awhile to right this post)
When ever the teacher in class is talking, I'll easily get distracted by almost anything
High Anxiety(I'll get stuck on one thing all day, For example if I said something stupid to a women I find attractive, I'll get high anxiety from it all day(s))
Mood swings
irritability/Aggression(Causes me to not last long in relationships)

He looked puzzled and then concerned when I told him I've been like this since Elementary school. Suggested that I had ADD and Social Anxiety which makes for a "fun" combination as he put it. Referred me to see a Psychologist and then a therapist.

I was wondering, What happens at these first visits ? I asked about when I would see the therapist after the Psychologist and they said it could be months, Is that normal ? Do they help on the first visit ? (medication wise)

sarahsweets
03-26-17, 08:05 AM
I was wondering, What happens at these first visits ? I asked about when I would see the therapist after the Psychologist and they said it could be months, Is that normal ? Do they help on the first visit ? (medication wise)
Did they say it would be months for the therapist or for medication?

Xiuying
03-26-17, 07:51 PM
Did they say it would be months for the therapist or for medication?

Her exact wording was "After you see her, Then we would schedule you to see a therapist who would go over what you were diagnosed as and what you will need". I then asked her, How long it would be to see the therapist and she replied "It could be anywhere from a month to two months"

sarahsweets
03-26-17, 08:18 PM
Was this a psychiatrist? I get it that therapy can help, but the doctor makes the diagnosis and medication is a first line treatment for adhd.

Xiuying
03-26-17, 08:38 PM
Was this a psychiatrist? I get it that therapy can help, but the doctor makes the diagnosis and medication is a first line treatment for adhd.

I'm assuming it was. The secretary that I was talking to had a heavy asian accent, So it was hard to understand. However she made it seem like it was going to be a psychiatrist/therapist I would be seeing after seeing their initial Doctor first.

Before calling this place, I had talked to many others and they made it seem like Psychologist was first and then Psychiatrist/therapy afterwards to get treatment. Those places though were not accepting new patients until August :/

Cyllya
03-28-17, 12:23 AM
It may help to have this context info on mental health providers:

Psychiatry is a branch of medicine, and psychiatrists are medical doctors specializing in psychiatry. Their credentials are MD or DO, but there are also nurse practitioners and physician's assistants. Psychiatrists can provide diagnosis, medication, and other medical treatment for psychiatric health problems like ADHD. They can provide psychotherapy, but they rarely do.

Psychologists have a or PsyD or PhD in psychology. Psychology is not a branch of medicine, but psychologists can still be considered mental health providers. Clinical psychologists may do psychotherapy, but they also do other things like neuropsychological evaluations. Psychologists can diagnose mental illnesses, but they cannot provide medication. (There are some jurisdictions that allow certain psychologists with extra training to provide medications for mental illnesses, but it's not typical.)

While a psychologist (and rarely psychiatrist) can be a "therapist," if someone just says "therapist" without specifying, that usually refers to a counselor (LPC) or social worker (LCSW). Those people have masters degrees in psychology. They can't provide medication. They are technically allowed to diagnose mental health conditions (at least in the USA), but in practice, they usually don't diagnose things like ADHD. In my experience, they have about as much knowledge of psychiatry as a somewhat knowledgeable lay person.

(I highly recommend a psychiatrist over a psychologist for ADHD treatment, because even if a psychologist diagnoses you, they won't be able to provide much help beyond that.)

Getting an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist often does take months. Follow-up visits with a psychiatrist will usually not take as long as the first appointment. (This is because the initial appointment is like 90 minutes or more while the treatment appointments are about 15 minutes.) For psychiatric appointments, there will often be a month or two between appointments because you need to wait for the medication to take effect and then take time to evaluate how well it's working. Some meds take longer than others before they start being useful. The most common meds used for ADHD are relatively "fast" and won't require as much time, but the receptionist might've been giving you an estimate based on their experience of patients who take other kinds of meds.

It's probable, but not guaranteed, that a psychiatrist will give you a prescription at the first appointment.

Getting an appointment with an LPC or LCSW therapist shouldn't take very long.

Xiuying
03-28-17, 02:54 AM
It may help to have this context info on mental health providers:

Psychiatry is a branch of medicine, and psychiatrists are medical doctors specializing in psychiatry. Their credentials are MD or DO, but there are also nurse practitioners and physician's assistants. Psychiatrists can provide diagnosis, medication, and other medical treatment for psychiatric health problems like ADHD. They can provide psychotherapy, but they rarely do.

Psychologists have a or PsyD or PhD in psychology. Psychology is not a branch of medicine, but psychologists can still be considered mental health providers. Clinical psychologists may do psychotherapy, but they also do other things like neuropsychological evaluations. Psychologists can diagnose mental illnesses, but they cannot provide medication. (There are some jurisdictions that allow certain psychologists with extra training to provide medications for mental illnesses, but it's not typical.)

While a psychologist (and rarely psychiatrist) can be a "therapist," if someone just says "therapist" without specifying, that usually refers to a counselor (LPC) or social worker (LCSW). Those people have masters degrees in psychology. They can't provide medication. They are technically allowed to diagnose mental health conditions (at least in the USA), but in practice, they usually don't diagnose things like ADHD. In my experience, they have about as much knowledge of psychiatry as a somewhat knowledgeable lay person.

(I highly recommend a psychiatrist over a psychologist for ADHD treatment, because even if a psychologist diagnoses you, they won't be able to provide much help beyond that.)

Getting an appointment with a psychiatrist or psychologist often does take months. Follow-up visits with a psychiatrist will usually not take as long as the first appointment. (This is because the initial appointment is like 90 minutes or more while the treatment appointments are about 15 minutes.) For psychiatric appointments, there will often be a month or two between appointments because you need to wait for the medication to take effect and then take time to evaluate how well it's working. Some meds take longer than others before they start being useful. The most common meds used for ADHD are relatively "fast" and won't require as much time, but the receptionist might've been giving you an estimate based on their experience of patients who take other kinds of meds.

It's probable, but not guaranteed, that a psychiatrist will give you a prescription at the first appointment.

Getting an appointment with an LPC or LCSW therapist shouldn't take very long.

Sadly with my health plan, I was not able to go straight to a psychiatrist even though I was referred to see one.

Had my appointment Monday(yesterday) and I saw a psychologist and she diagnosed me as having ADD and Depression. Was told I have to see a counselor next week and then we made the earliest appointment to see the psychiatrist which was the end of May :( . The psychologist made it seem like I would be medicated the first visit with the psychiatrist, her words were "We are going to make the appointment with the psychiatrist and she will talk to you and then write you a prescription for anything you need for treatment, However I don't know the exact medication she will put you on for the ADD, could be either adderall or ritalin"

Glad to know that It's normal for the first visit to take so long, Just sucks that after years of having these issues and knowing what's wrong, That I won't be able to get medication to help for a long time. It's like I was put in a line for the DMV

Little Missy
03-28-17, 09:56 AM
Where do you live in MI if I may ask? It should not take that long in MI.

Xiuying
03-28-17, 03:54 PM
Where do you live in MI if I may ask? It should not take that long in MI.

Detroit Area, The ones actually near me were not even taking new patients until July-August :/.

How long should it usually take ?

sarahsweets
03-30-17, 06:13 AM
I dont think the diagnosis should officially come from the doctor. Not that psychologists dont know their stuff but screening for disorders comorbid with adhd is important.

Little Missy
03-30-17, 08:12 AM
Detroit Area, The ones actually near me were not even taking new patients until July-August :/.

How long should it usually take ?

Not that long if you live in a small town.