View Full Version : article: veganism not always the healthiest /purported healthiest diet in the world.

sarahsweets
03-28-17, 04:26 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/choices-voices-and-veganism-diet-for-the-many_us_58d59ad0e4b06c3d3d3e6db5
I thought this was super interesting. It takes the good stuff from a plant based diet and combines is with the hunter/gatherer idea but talks about the importance of what animals take in from their environment and natural habitats; and how horrible most mass produced animal anythings, and processed junk foods are for you.
I def want to learn more about this.
Not sure if it would related to adhd but it looks like a good add on down the line.

acdc01
04-01-17, 11:54 PM
Interesting article.

It's a shame pretty much any meat we would eat (myself anyway) would have animals who lived in crappy habitats. Shrimp are caught in the wild I believe and some fish are too but now I'm afraid of nuclear radiation from the nuclear plant leak in Japan (maybe I'm being ridiculous but I am afraid).

I thought the below article was interesting too. It talks about the top 5 places in the world
where people live longest and stay healthy the longest.

Seemed to be some consistent themes: no processed foods, less meat though many still had some, don't gorge yourself (eat till you are 80% full), positive attitude, a lot of exercise/movement throughout the day, and value family and relationships.

Top 5 Places Where People Live The Longest (http://www.printfriendly.com/print?url=http://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/2013-03-29-where-people-live-the-longest/) by Dana Larsen

dvdnvwls
04-02-17, 01:58 AM
Not always?? Veganism is never the healthiest. Trendy, sure. Veganism is a deficient diet. It isn't good enough - it isn't even potentially healthy, without artificial supplementation. Vegetarians (unlike vegans) can be healthy, when they eat carefully.

Fuzzy12
04-02-17, 02:38 AM
It's interesting that the article notes that if you take a b12 supplement a vegan diet CAN be one of the healthiest diets.

However since your food choices are restricted making your vegan diet healthy is rather difficult. More difficult than if you had a less restrictive diet.

The article also points out that meat doesn't actually make your diet unhealthy. It's just the amount and type of meat that most people consume that is unhealthy.

I'm almost vegan at the moment (no meat and no dairy but I can still eat eggs) and I've realised that there is a lot of processed and ready made food that I can't eat because it's got some form of milk in it. So in a way that makes it slightly easier to avoid food that has very little nutritional value. On the other hand I suspect that I'm probably lacking quite a few nutrients as well as I neither have the time nor the interest to ensure that my diet is still perfectly balanced

dvdnvwls
04-02-17, 03:36 AM
B12 comes from... You guessed it... Meat.

namazu
04-02-17, 03:41 AM
Or a modern laboratory, for those people who prefer to eschew meat and animal-derived products.

Fuzzy12
04-02-17, 04:17 AM

Yes I said supplement didn't I?? :scratch:

namazu
04-02-17, 04:54 AM
Or a modern laboratory, for those people who prefer to eschew meat and animal-derived products.
...And, I should add, for people like me who are not vegans or vegetarians, but who have B12 deficiencies, which can also arise for a number of non-dietary reasons.

As far as I'm aware, B12 from a lab is just as good as B12 from a cow, and for some of us, it's even better.

Lack of B12 in food, when it can be obtained easily through supplements in modern society, hardly seems like a valid reason to dismiss vegan diets as inherently unhealthy.

sarahsweets
04-02-17, 09:12 AM
Not always?? Veganism is never the healthiest. Trendy, sure. Veganism is a deficient diet. It isn't good enough - it isn't even potentially healthy, without artificial supplementation. Vegetarians (unlike vegans) can be healthy, when they eat carefully.

The reason I said "not always" was to not offend people who live the veggie lifestyle. Ive learned that telling people they are wrong is counterproductive. Its not something I subscribe to but its not my job to tell people how to live their lives.

stef
04-02-17, 11:14 AM
It's not just the food, it's the quality of it,and the srrounding lifestyle'

dvdnvwls
04-02-17, 03:06 PM
The reason I said "not always" was to not offend people who live the veggie lifestyle. Ive learned that telling people they are wrong is counterproductive. Its not something I subscribe to but its not my job to tell people how to live their lives.
Unfortunately, telling people it's possible they might be wrong usually has the same effect. :)

acdc01
04-05-17, 11:55 AM

But the article implies to me that by default veganism is the healthiest option for 1st world countries as we can't get our hands on meat that is raised properly. Did I not read right?

I think your approach is probably the most successful way.

icantbelive93
04-05-17, 12:53 PM

Don't want to start an argument but B12 comes from bacteria from the ground. When for example cows eat grass they are getting B12. However, because of modern agriculture the soil is often deficient in B12, so the animals have to be injected with B12 artificially. Also, most meat comes from factory farms where the cows are mostly eating grains and not grazing on green pastures where the B12 would be.

Fuzzy12
04-05-17, 01:00 PM
I read today that marmite is a good source of B12.

Rockafella83
06-20-17, 08:21 PM
I might suggest watching "What the Health" documentary who's available on NetFlix or Vimeo. I'm not a Vegan nor a Vegetarian but honestly, I might give a shot for a few weeks and see how it looks..

This is definitly a Pro-Vegan documentary by the way but still, it really got "my attention" for a lot of good reasons... And I do think people need cold shower when they're brain washed the way mass media act on us or at least, having both side exposed..