View Full Version : Lost paper prescription for adderall for next month

mpv245
03-28-17, 09:07 AM
Hi,
I started on 10mg Adderall IR 3 months ago. I was diagnosed with ADD while in grad school. It has helped me tremendously and 10 mg works for me. Last month, I saw my doc for refill and she felt comfortable to give me 2 paper scripts. 1 for this month that I already filled and using now and the other script for next month. I have been looking for the next month script for 1 week now and I can't find it anyway. I think I accidentaly dropped it while pulling things out of my small wallet. I called all the stores I went to that weekend, and no one returned it. Now, I'm worried that my psych will think I am lying and I won't trust me anymore. Should I tell her now or should I wait next month to tell her I lost it? I actually don't take the pills everyday of the week. I only take it M - F and on weekends I manage my ADD and she knows. Last month when I saw her for my refill 2 days before the day I was supposed to run out I still had 7 pills left and I brought the bottle with the pills so she could see. And she even told me she usually doesn't give patients 2 paper scripts, but she feels like she could trust me. Now I lost the paper prescription. Please help me take the best decision because I have a good relationship with my doctor and I want to keep it that way. Thank you.

DJ Bill
03-28-17, 10:12 AM
Does she have the ability to call in your script for you? That might be the solution.

mpv245
03-28-17, 10:23 AM
Does she have the ability to call in your script for you? That might be the solution.

There's the option to mail it I think. But my concern is right now since it's confirmed I obviously lost the paper script, should I wait till the end of the month to tell her or should I tell her now? What if I didn't tell her I lost it, suck it up for a month and just go to my regular office visit in 2 months as it was originally scheduled?

midnightstar
03-28-17, 10:39 AM
Personally, I think it's better to tell her as soon as possible and explain the situation. I think once she could maybe overlook but if you regularly lost them then alarm bells might ring for her. Telling her as soon as possible though, she'll likely appreciate your honesty.

sarahsweets
03-28-17, 12:43 PM
What are the outcomes that could happen? She could suspect you were lying and not give you a new script.
She could look at it as your loss and not give you a new script.
She could call your pharmacy and verify it hasnt been filled-but be too concerned about someone fraudulently filling the script, so not give you a new one.
She could let it slide this one time and give you a new script.
All of these options involve honesty and the outcome is not what you would want but you could live through it.
Even if she has a policy that no replacement scripts are given, you could acknowledge that you understand that but wanted to be honest anyway.
Honesty takes people off guard because they are not used to it alot of the time.
Turn your scripts all into the pharmacy right away. They will put it on file and automatically fill it when its time.

Johnny Slick
03-28-17, 01:10 PM
In addition to what sarahsweets said, hey, we ADHD people, right? This can't possibly be the first time one of her patients lost a prescription. It'd be like a psychologist treating people with OCD being surprised that a patient washed their hands a lot...

chronological
03-28-17, 09:10 PM
And she even told me she usually doesn't give patients 2 paper scripts, but she feels like she could trust me. Now I lost the paper prescription. Please help me take the best decision because I have a good relationship with my doctor and I want to keep it that way. Thank you.

I'd just tell her. I'd tell her I feel like an idiot, especially since she trusted enough to give the two and that I'd understand if she put me back onto a single script at a time, but that I hope she doesn't. But I'd keep it light hearted; this kinda thing happens all the time. As JohnnySlick said, losing stuff and being disorganized is kinda the ADHD thing, right? In my experience, if you have a reasonable doc (which it sounds like you do) then openness and honesty are usually the best approach to build trust.

Also, bear in mind that Adderall is a Schedule II drug. I'm pretty sure that means your doc can see if/when you fill a script anyway. That's certainly the case in Texas with at least Vyvanse and Vicodin. So she'd be able to see if you were lying and were trying to get three scripts instead of two. She may even be able to put a "stop" on the prior script, like a bank stopping a check.

unstableAngel
03-29-17, 03:30 AM
:cool:I agree with the above, my pdoc gives me 3 rx for adderal, other than the one immediately being filled the other 2 are dated..ie. DO NOT FILL TILL. Does yours do the same? Do you have insurance? Also no pharmacy I know will refill scheduled drugs early, insurance even more strict. So, if you always use the same pharmacy they will have records of meds you've filled & when. If you feel the need to show your dr you can be trusted, that would do it! But yeah...don't hesitate to call, no need to wait. Trust me we all do it sometimes ;)

mpv245
03-29-17, 07:53 AM
Thank you so much everyone!! I am going to call the office today. It's the right thing to do regardless the consequences.

aeon
03-29-17, 10:45 AM
Iíve never lost a paper prescription, but thank goodness MN has moved to electronic prescriptions for Class II meds.

The irony of having more paperwork to manage when ADHD is what I need the paperwork for. :doh:

Cheers,
Ian