View Full Version : Is there a recommended time between Adderall XR doses?

AGameOfChance
03-30-17, 12:59 AM
I forgot to take my Adderall XR dose this morning, and even though I noticed that I wasn't functioning properly, it didn't occur to me until around 3:00 that I might not have taken it, and I found it sitting in my pocket.

Since I need to get quite a bit of stuff done, I took the dose anyway. Are there any potential bad side effects if I take my dose again next morning around 8:00-9:00 because of how late I took it today?

sarahsweets
03-30-17, 04:14 AM
IR adderall is supposed to last about 4 hours. XR adderall is like taking two doses, part of the medication is released immediately, and part about 4 hours later. With that in mind, in theory, it should last about 8 hours. I only get about 5 total for mine.

brenaggie
03-30-17, 04:39 PM
IR adderall is supposed to last about 4 hours. XR adderall is like taking two doses, part of the medication is released immediately, and part about 4 hours later. With that in mind, in theory, it should last about 8 hours. I only get about 5 total for mine.

this. never got more than 6 hours from the XR. i read that the second dose highly depends on what you've been eating since you took it. i drink a lot of sodas and that deminishes the effect of the second dose a lot. when i drank water i felt like it lasted 8hours.

AGameOfChance
03-31-17, 04:17 PM
Are there any bad side effects if you, say, take two Adderall XR pills in a day though?

namazu
03-31-17, 05:26 PM
Are there any bad side effects if you, say, take two Adderall XR pills in a day though?
If you take them too close together, you are overdosing yourself, with an increased risk of side effects, including anxiety, heart palpitations, jitteriness, insomnia, etc.

If you're only prescribed 1 pill/day, you'll run out of pills faster and probably won't be able to get them refilled, and then you'll go untreated for however many days you're out. Misuse (taking more than prescribed) is also a risk factor for addiction.

In short: don't take multiple doses/day, unless you're prescribed multiple doses/day.

But you should be fine to take a pill at 8AM tomorrow even if you forgot your pill until afternoon today; when in doubt, consult a pharmacist or doctor. I'm a big fan of pill organizers and alarms to help remember to take meds on schedule.