View Full Version : Seeing 3 different doctors. What should I do?

e3rbpp
03-30-17, 08:48 AM
I started seeing a Psychiatrist for Depression. Started Wellbutrin XL 300 MG. One month later she prescribed Lamictal 50 MG. I thought I had ADD, so I started seeing a second psychiatrist. I lied to him and told him that my PCP has prescribed me Wellbutrin and Lamictal. He said he is fine with the combo. Then, I went to a new PCP and told her that I have ADD and she finally precribed me Adderall. The problem is I am seeing two different psychiatrists and one PCP but no one knows that I am seeing other doctors. What should I do? I am thinking about stop taking Wellbutrin, Adderall, and Lamictal for a month so nothing shows up in a drug test if I decide to start seeing a new doctor and Stop seeing Psychiatrists and only keep appointments with my PCP. And tell her that I wanna start my medication management from the start? I am scared, if any of my psychiatrists or pcp finds out that I am seeing other doctors, they will get me arrested or flag me as a drug seeker. Please help

Psychiatrist 1 - Prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300 MG and Lamictal 50 MG
Psychiatrist 2 - Prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300 MG and Laimctal 150 MG
PCP - Prescribed Adderall 10 MG twice daily

namazu
03-30-17, 01:07 PM
It's not unreasonable to see both a PCP and a psychiatrist. It's not even unreasonable to seek a second opinion from a different psychiatrist if you didn't feel like the first one was a good fit for you, or they weren't listening to your concerns.

Assuming you are looking for legitimate treatment of your ADHD, I suggest you come clean with your PCP about the psychiatrists' prescriptions. The PCP may be happy to do med management for you, and assuming all goes well, you may be able to drop the psychiatrists.

Alternatively, with diagnoses of ADHD and depression, it may be helpful to have a psychiatrist's input on medication. (This is especially true if your PCP prescribed you Adderall without a thorough evaluation.) In that case, pick 1 of the two psychiatrists, and come clean with them that your PCP believes you have ADHD and has prescribed Adderall. Even if you decide to see a psychiatrist, you should still let your PCP know this, and what meds you've been prescribed.

Being dishonest with your doctor isn't a recipe for quality care. The medications you are taking can interact, and you need whoever's treating you to be aware of what you're taking.

Also, if you have any history of drug misuse, or don't trust yourself to use the medication responsibly, as prescribed, it's better to swallow your pride now and ask your doctor for help than to let addiction consume you.

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 09:02 AM
I started seeing a Psychiatrist for Depression. Started Wellbutrin XL 300 MG. One month later she prescribed Lamictal 50 MG. [

I thought I had ADD, so I started seeing a second psychiatrist. I lied to him and told him that my PCP has prescribed me Wellbutrin and Lamictal. He said he is fine with the combo.
Wait, you went to a new psychiatrist and told him that your previous doctor was a pcp(and not a psych)and then told him about the meds you were on? Why did you go from the first psyche to the second psyche and get the same meds prescibed? Im confused. Or did you hope to get stimulants instead of the wellbutrin/lamictal combo?

Then, I went to a new PCP and told her that I have ADD and she finally precribed me Adderall.
Ok, so why did you switch from one psyche to the next one? And did you finally go to the PCP because you didnt like the meds from the other doctors?

The problem is I am seeing two different psychiatrists and one PCP but no one knows that I am seeing other doctors. What should I do? I am thinking about stop taking Wellbutrin, Adderall, and Lamictal for a month so nothing shows up in a drug test if I decide to start seeing a new doctor and Stop seeing Psychiatrists and only keep appointments with my PCP.
Ok, are you considering a fourth doctor, or do you mean sticking with the PCP?
And is it standard practice for drug tests with your doctors? They dont screen for antidepressants and mood stabilizers, they screen for illegal drugs and prescribed controlled substances. Do not stop talking those meds suddenly and without a doctor's approval.
What should I do?
Well you definitely should be concerned because you seem to be doctor shopping. It sounds like you didnt like the fact that two doctors didnt prescribe you adderall so you found one that did. You went to all three for the same issue that you have decided is your diagnosis without giving the overall process a chance.

And tell her that I wanna start my medication management from the start? I am scared, if any of my psychiatrists or pcp finds out that I am seeing other doctors, they will get me arrested or flag me as a drug seeker. Please help
Well....you are drug seeking plain and simple. You may look at it differently because most people think of this behavior and associate it with people seeking opiates but its the same thing. And its incredibly sefish of you because now you have at least two doctors risking their license because you were dishonest with them. There is such a thing as lying by omission and you know your own motives..which seem a bit nefarious.

Psychiatrist 1 - Prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300 MG and Lamictal 50 MG
Psychiatrist 2 - Prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300 MG and Laimctal 150 MG
PCP - Prescribed Adderall 10 MG twice daily

Who said you have adhd? You? What was your diagnosis like? What kind of information did you provide?