View Full Version : Adderall question (IR and XR comparison) and doc visit tomorrow

brenaggie
03-30-17, 04:34 PM
Okay i've been taking Adderall XR 30mg for a while now. Probably like 6 months. I'm a student at college being treated for ADD.

After 3 months of use i went back to the doc and said i needed a booster IR dose for the afternoons. He had no hesitation in prescribing an additional Adderall 20mg IR tablet.

How'd it work?
I seem to MUCH prefer the Instant Release tablet. The XR just seems so inconsistent to me. I'll definitely always notice the effects for the first few hours, and then at the 4-6 hour mark most of the time I question if the second part of the release has even come or if it even will. So then I take a booster dose and definitely feel focused.

In my experience I seem to still make stupid dumb mistakes on Adderall XR, and it just feels like for 10 minutes im focused and good, but then the next 10 minutes i'm back to the unmedicated me. Just feels so inconsistent. Whereas with the IR version I feel more focused for 3-4 hours. I also like the control factor I have with the IR version in terms of being able to split up the dose and control when to take it.

I'm 5 foot 9 and 140 pounds btw. Never dropped a pound while taking Adderall. Mainly because i still get hungry, and if i don't eat, i feel terrible, even on Adderalls. More on the XR though, especially around the 4 hour mark where the next dose apparently kicks in. Also noticed when I take a test for school on the XRs i still don't do as good as i would on the IR.

I think i'm just going to ask him if i can switch my current prescription (Adderall XR 30mg morning and Adderall IR 20mg booster as needed) to just Adderall IR 3-4 times a day. Not sure what dosage he'd give me. When i switched to Adderall 30mg xr from Vyvanse 50mg i was a lil shocked that he started straight off to 30mg xr (max dose)

Anyone else have any experience with this? Please let me know!

PaulCamR
03-30-17, 07:33 PM
I would bet you feel that 20mg IR a lot more because you've already got some Adderall left in your system from the XR. Anecdotally, I was prescribed for a bit Biphentin. It releases a lot like Adderall XR, except it's Methylphenidate (Ritalin side of things). It releases 40% upfront, and 60% later. I imagine it releases 60% later because some people need more later in the day to maintain the same effects (sort of like... tolerance build-up for a day).

The XR releases 15mg, then 15mg ~4 hours later. When you take 20mg IR, that's more all at once than either of the previous XR releases, plus you already have some Adderall in your system.

Take caffeine for example. If you have 1 coffee in the morning, you'll feel it. You have a second coffee 4 hours later, you might not feel it quite as much. Then 4 hours later you have a double shot coffee instead, and bam, you feel it again. Keep doing that day after day, and you'll withdrawal headaches if you don't have that double shot, the first coffee will feel worse, you'll be looking forward to the double shot... there's things to consider.

Think about whether "feeling it" is your objective. I think your best bet is to discuss this with your doctor, but just ask your doctor about where to stop with dosing. Short-term benefits and long-term benefits may not be perfectly in line. You might do great on 15-20mg Adderall 3-4x a day for a week, and then hit higher tolerance levels, adverse effects, etc. What seems great immediately might not be sustainable. Your doctor would be the bests person to ask about that.

I was given a bit of leeway with my doctor. I was given a script for 30x 10mg XR originally (this was a couple months back). I was allowed to take 1, 2, or 3 in a day. I tried 1, nothing. I tried 2, something. I tried 3, too much difficulties sleeping. So I went to the doctor and I went with 25mg. I think 30mg XR would have been better for me during the day, and heck... 30mg XR and a 15mg IR booster would be ideal (IR not available in Canada)... but, I wonder how my sleep would be affected, and the long-term tolerance build-up associated with the dosage. So I'm trying to be happy with 25mg XR. I think of it a bit as an investment: There's room to move up in dose, if my current dose is working (even if I don't "feel it" all the time).

Key points to ask your doctor:
- "feeling it" versus unnoticed benefits
- long-term goals versus short-term goals, in terms of dosage versus tolerance build-up
- risk vs reward of dosage choices

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 05:37 AM
Okay i've been taking Adderall XR 30mg for a while now. Probably like 6 months. I'm a student at college being treated for ADD.

After 3 months of use i went back to the doc and said i needed a booster IR dose for the afternoons. He had no hesitation in prescribing an additional Adderall 20mg IR tablet.

How'd it work?
I seem to MUCH prefer the Instant Release tablet. The XR just seems so inconsistent to me. I'll definitely always notice the effects for the first few hours, and then at the 4-6 hour mark most of the time I question if the second part of the release has even come or if it even will. So then I take a booster dose and definitely feel focused.
Something to keep in mind is that adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 8 hours. I get 5-6 out of mine. Its supposed to be like if you took 1 dose and then 4 hours later the second "dose" gets released. Thats the theory, and I have only met a few people for whom that is true. It would make sense if around the 4-5 hour mark you could be having reduced or very little symptom control if you are like me. I know the idea behind xr meds is to take one and be done but any doctor who says that adderall xr is supposed to last 8 or more hours, doesnt know his stuff.

In my experience I seem to still make stupid dumb mistakes on Adderall XR, and it just feels like for 10 minutes im focused and good, but then the next 10 minutes i'm back to the unmedicated me. Just feels so inconsistent. Whereas with the IR version I feel more focused for 3-4 hours. I also like the control factor I have with the IR version in terms of being able to split up the dose and control when to take it.

You mention how it "feels". Thats an unreliable way tp measure efficacy. You might not feel the medicine but that doesnt mean its not working. Take the idea of pain meds. Someone could take it for pain and "feel" dopey, euphoric,sleepy and have their pain managed. After awhile they may not feel those euphoric feelings but still have the pain managed. Looking for how a medication feels in order to measure its efficacy is why some people could get addicted to pain meds.

[quotye]I'm 5 foot 9 and 140 pounds btw. Never dropped a pound while taking Adderall. Mainly because i still get hungry, and if i don't eat, i feel terrible, even on Adderalls. More on the XR though, especially around the 4 hour mark where the next dose apparently kicks in. Also noticed when I take a test for school on the XRs i still don't do as good as i would on the IR.
[/quote]
Again, it sounds like you are measuring whether the medication works based on "perceived" results vs actual symptom relief. Even unmedicated,some people will do well on tests and not do well on tests. The same applies to those that take medication.

I think i'm just going to ask him if i can switch my current prescription (Adderall XR 30mg morning and Adderall IR 20mg booster as needed) to just Adderall IR 3-4 times a day. Not sure what dosage he'd give me. When i switched to Adderall 30mg xr from Vyvanse 50mg i was a lil shocked that he started straight off to 30mg xr (max dose)

Thats because vyvanse is the weakest amphetamine. I dont remember the conversion chart though.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Please let me know!

Ir can be great for people that remember to take it multiple times a day but be very careful on how you are judging its effectiveness. All of the "feelings" part about meds, with the exception of side effects, dont really mean much. Its all about symptom control.