View Full Version : Help finding a long-lasting ADD Medication

RumandCocoa
03-30-17, 08:46 PM
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was fourteen years old. I started taking medication (ritalin) when I was 15 and it changed my entire life. It was like the clouds parted. My solid B/C report card transformed to straight As. Ritalin was like a miracle drug for me. When I hit college, I noticed that the Ritalin seemed to be wearing off more quickly and I was switched to Ritalin SR. I continued to take Ritalin SR through the first year working at my post-college job, but then stopped during year two. My psychiatrist had years ago mentioned that I might grow out of the ADD and I naively believed him.

Fast-forward to 10 years later. I haven't taken Ritalin since my mid-twenties. I decided to re-start medication due to a combination of factors (basically, I didn't grow out of the ADD unfortunately). I'm once again on 20 mg. of Ritalin SR (now methylphenidate XR). However, it's not lasting as long as I'd like it to. I've only had experience with Ritalin and methylphenidate. I never tried the newer drugs, other than concerta which didn't work for me.

What I want is something that's going to last for 12 hours, so I have ADHD coverage for both work AND home. My ADHD is causing problems in BOTH aspects of my life and right now the meds just cover the work portion of my day.

I'd be open to taking meds more than once a day. I have RA, so I'm VERY used to med taking.

Any ideas? I'm meeting w my doctor on April 24th for a med check, but he's only a family doctor. My psychiatrist moved away years ago. I wanted to see if people here had any good suggestions.

cwf1986
03-31-17, 03:05 AM
Find a psychiatrist with experience treating adhd.

I would say ask about a booster boost, but GP's generally tend to be very reluctant about that. But it might not hurt to do anyway.

I take 20mg XR adderall and a 5mg booster. The booster gives me a few more hours of relief and causes the med to wear off much more slowly eliminating the crash.

Concerta is basically ritalin (medicine with the active ingredient of methylphenidate) that's released 3 separate times. 1st time upon initial dosing, 2nd a few hours later, and 3rd a few hours after that. I'm wondering if perhaps you were just under-dosed?

If your concerta dose was only 20mg, than that's less methylphenidate in your system per hour even if it's in your system longer which could lead to effectively being underdosed and not getting symptom relief.

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 05:50 AM
A psychiatrist would be more suited to trying different meds. Im curious though, you have only taken ritalin based and methylphenidate based meds right? Have you ever considered amphetamines like adderall or dexedrine?

RumandCocoa
03-31-17, 08:29 AM
sarahsweets I'd be open to trying new things. Ritalin is the first med they tried on me when I was diagnosed and since it worked so well with little side effects, we just stayed with that.

I also should mention that I take 450 mg. of wellbutrin daily for depression that has some small positive effect on my ADHD, but nothing like that of Ritalin.

Does anyone have experience with Vyvanse? Does it really provide the 12 hrs of relief it claims?

Or would a doctor be open to prescribing a Ritalin SR followed by a later booster dose of a 15 mg. Ritalin IR?

aeon
03-31-17, 10:37 AM
Dexedrine CR Spansules, twice a day.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
03-31-17, 12:35 PM
Dexedrine CR Spansules, twice a day.

Cheers,
Ian

:goodpost:

ToneTone
03-31-17, 12:36 PM
Let me try to put your question in context: We are ALL looking for a medication that gives us a good 12 hours of coverage--coverage through work and later home. We all are seeking that. And it is not necessarily easy to find it.

The challenge is how to find such a medication (since we all react to stimulants different) ... and how to get such coverage without major, negative side effects. I could probably get 12-hour coverage from Concerta or Adderall XR or even Vyvanse ... but I wouldn't sleep a lick. For me, the higher the dosage, the more problems I have sleeping. But that's just me ... So I have to find the spot where the med is having maximum effect without disrupting sleep ...

The only thing we can tell you is what the others have said: find a really good psychiatrist and begin the systematic trial-and-error process.

To answer your question, no there is no med that guarantees 12-hour coverage. Vyvanse is helpful for some people. Not helpful for others ... So you have to try for yourself.

So get to a psychiatrist ... start systematically tracking the effect of different meds. Oh ... and you're on 20mg Ritalin SR ... a next step would be to try 30mg ... and then 40. I think the maximum recommended dosage is 60mg for Ritalin ... (Note: you can go over this under close supervision with a really good doctor.)

So unless you are having horrible side effects, keep going up with the dosage of the SR ...

You also need to use every bit of willpower and cunning you have to clean up your lifestyle. Poor sleep will undermine medication effectiveness, for example ... Of course the catch 22 is that with a chaotic brain it's hard to get ourselves organized for good and regular sleep.

Good luck.

Tone

sarahsweets
03-31-17, 01:05 PM
My experience with vyvanse is that never lasted the purported 12 hours. I was lucky if I got 7 or 8. Unlike with adderall and dexedrine, I was very moody, ups and downs, agitated and not much symptom control. But thats just me.
sarahsweets I'd be open to trying new things. Ritalin is the first med they tried on me when I was diagnosed and since it worked so well with little side effects, we just stayed with that.

I also should mention that I take 450 mg. of wellbutrin daily for depression that has some small positive effect on my ADHD, but nothing like that of Ritalin.

Does anyone have experience with Vyvanse? Does it really provide the 12 hrs of relief it claims?

Or would a doctor be open to prescribing a Ritalin SR followed by a later booster dose of a 15 mg. Ritalin IR?

I think or hope most docs would consider ritalin sr and a booster. Its like common adhd practice.

SecretlyaFish
04-01-17, 04:37 PM
I believe Vyvanse is going to be the one that lasts you the longest. Its a one time per day medication, you take it in the morning and it lasts usually 14 hours or so. It also doesn't have any addictive qualities like Adderall does. Its still a stimulant though so you might need a physical and they might need to check your heart etc. Not sure of the protocol but here in Canada I needed a full physical, blood work and ekg before my doctor would give me Vyvanse.

Keep in mind this is from my research and talks with my doctor. I am not a doctor, but maybe ask yours if what your using isn't working.

To give a bit more info, the first time I took Vyvanse, after not talking ANY medications besides I believe wellbutrin 300mg and escitalopram 20mg, well, it was something else. Those medications i mentioned there were for depression, obviously they did not work as my underlying symptom causing my depression was untreated ADHD. I took the Vyvanse pretty early in the morning the first day, about 6-7am. I didn't sleep AT ALL, I'm not sure when it had began to wear off, or if it did at all, but I took another pill even though I hadn't slept yet at about 5am this time, hoping it would run out and I'd collapse. Well, I didn't sleep for 48 hours straight. And when I finally did get to bed, it sucked, and I only managed 4 hours, then 5 hours, then 1 hour in the next 3 days. It was really messing with me so I took 3 days off my medication. Now I'm running my normal dose again, today is the first day back at the full 30mg i was perscribed. My doctor told me I could cut the pill and take like half. I didn't really feel an affect from it besides a fairly instant high at the beginning. I'll update this and let you know if I can sleep.

I did 2 hours on the treadmill today and did 5.6 miles. Only 2.8mph average speed but shutup I'm fat (not really just chubby belly). I feel like I could fall asleep already. Try to keep stimulated and exercise or do things that keep you busy and I believe you won't have so much trouble falling asleep like I did.

Cyllya
04-01-17, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately, getting 12+ hours of medication coverage without major sleep problems might not be possible. Of course, if you need it badly and you haven't tried all options, it's too early to give up.

All anecdotes I've heard related to Vyvanse say it works less than 12 hours. However, there must have been a significant number of people that got 12-hour benefit in their studies if they able to claim that? (It could be possible that hours 9-12 aren't as good as the beginning but it's still better than unmedicated?) I haven't personally tried Vyvanse.

Besides Ritalin and Concerta, there are some other methylphenidate extended-release forms. (By my understanding, extended-release methylphenidate forms created prior to Concerta tend to be relatively ineffective due to some kind of tachyphylaxis-related issue. I'm guessing the newer ones have a solution as well, but I don't know much about them.) I

It's something they're allowed to do, but it seems to vary by doctor as to whether they will allow it. If your PCP won't allow it, you might have better luck with a psychiatrist. I think PCPs tend to have less knowledge of the legalities of controlled substance prescriptions, which leads them to being overcautious.

cwf1986
04-02-17, 02:16 AM
It also doesn't have any addictive qualities like Adderall does.

Vyvanse can be plenty addictive. I'm not trying to nitpick just for the sake of nitpicking or put you down, I just don't think it would be right to leave this on there. If someone is prone to addiction, they can get plenty hooked to vyvanse.

sarahsweets
04-02-17, 09:18 AM
I believe Vyvanse is going to be the one that lasts you the longest. Its a one time per day medication, you take it in the morning and it lasts usually 14 hours or so. It also doesn't have any addictive qualities like Adderall does. Its still a stimulant though so you might need a physical and they might need to check your heart etc. Not sure of the protocol but here in Canada I needed a full physical, blood work and ekg before my doctor would give me Vyvanse.
I am glad this works for you. I would bet though that most people need medication more than once a day even if its vyvanse.

To give a bit more info, the first time I took Vyvanse, after not talking ANY medications besides I believe wellbutrin 300mg and escitalopram 20mg, well, it was something else. Those medications i mentioned there were for depression, obviously they did not work as my underlying symptom causing my depression was untreated ADHD. I took the Vyvanse pretty early in the morning the first day, about 6-7am. I didn't sleep AT ALL, I'm not sure when it had began to wear off, or if it did at all, but I took another pill even though I hadn't slept yet at about 5am this time, hoping it would run out and I'd collapse. Well, I didn't sleep for 48 hours straight. And when I finally did get to bed, it sucked, and I only managed 4 hours, then 5 hours, then 1 hour in the next 3 days. It was really messing with me so I took 3 days off my medication. Now I'm running my normal dose again, today is the first day back at the full 30mg i was perscribed. My doctor told me I could cut the pill and take like half. I didn't really feel an affect from it besides a fairly instant high at the beginning. I'll update this and let you know if I can sleep.

How do you cut a capsule in half? I think based on what you shared, your dose was too high and I am not sure why you would have taken more if it kept you up.

sarahsweets
04-02-17, 09:21 AM
It also doesn't have any addictive qualities like Adderall does.
Sorry, this isnt true. Adderall isnt more addictive, its just the buzz word of medications now."He took adderall? Thats so addictive!"
Anything can become addictive. Vyvanse is still an amphetamine so it has the potential if you are prone to drug abuse, misuse or have had issues in the past.
And its not the norm for people to take stimulants and become addicted. I would say its alot less common then the internet would have you believe.

SecretlyaFish
04-02-17, 11:33 AM
Vyvanse can be plenty addictive. I'm not trying to nitpick just for the sake of nitpicking or put you down, I just don't think it would be right to leave this on there. If someone is prone to addiction, they can get plenty hooked to vyvanse.

"Adderall has more potential to be abused, mainly because it contains free amphetamine salts. Because lisdexamfetamine (the ingredient of Vyvanse) requires contact with red blood cells in the body to be activated into dextroamphetamine, it has inbuilt abuse-deterrent properties... In theory anyway. Unfortunately, no head-to-head trials comparing the abuse potential of Vyvanse to Adderall have been done."

Vyvanse is not as easily abused because of the way it works. Vyvanse is therefore less likely to cause addictions. This is a true statement based on how each drug works. Perhaps saying it has no addictive properties goes a bit too far, but the average person will not be addicted. On the flip side, because of the way Adderall affects your system, the average person is more likely to abuse Adderall, either on purpose or by accident, because of the way the drug goes into your system. Vyvanse is a safer alternative to Adderall if you are prone to abusing drugs, but that is their problem, not the drugs fault. Both can work for different people and both last longer than most other drugs that are typically prescribed for ADHD.

I am glad this works for you. I would bet though that most people need medication more than once a day even if its vyvanse.

How do you cut a capsule in half? I think based on what you shared, your dose was too high and I am not sure why you would have taken more if it kept you up.

I don't know, I'm still without a job so I've yet to be in a work situation, and I'm currently on less than half the maximum dose of Vyvanse they are allowed to prescribe, which is 70mg. I'm sure the effect of 70mg is a fair bit stronger.

Sorry, this isnt true. Adderall isnt more addictive, its just the buzz word of medications now."He took adderall? Thats so addictive!"
Anything can become addictive. Vyvanse is still an amphetamine so it has the potential if you are prone to drug abuse, misuse or have had issues in the past.
And its not the norm for people to take stimulants and become addicted. I would say its alot less common then the internet would have you believe.

Neither drug, both Vyvanse and Adderall is inherently addictive I'm sure. But Adderall is certainly easier to abuse and someone more prone to abusing drugs/getting addicted would find Vyvanse the safer drug just based on how it goes into your system.

Personal responsibility comes into this too. Its no fault of the drug if a person cannot control themselves. I'm just saying that Vyvanse is safer in that regard. Adderall has that reputation because of peoples choice to abuse it, not because Adderall is bad all by itself.

cwf1986
04-03-17, 01:05 AM
"Adderall has more potential to be abused, mainly because it contains free amphetamine salts. Because lisdexamfetamine (the ingredient of Vyvanse) requires contact with red blood cells in the body to be activated into dextroamphetamine, it has inbuilt abuse-deterrent properties... In theory anyway. Unfortunately, no head-to-head trials comparing the abuse potential of Vyvanse to Adderall have been done."

Vyvanse is not as easily abused because of the way it works. Vyvanse is therefore less likely to cause addictions. This is a true statement based on how each drug works. Perhaps saying it has no addictive properties goes a bit too far, but the average person will not be addicted. On the flip side, because of the way Adderall affects your system, the average person is more likely to abuse Adderall, either on purpose or by accident, because of the way the drug goes into your system. Vyvanse is a safer alternative to Adderall if you are prone to abusing drugs, but that is their problem, not the drugs fault. Both can work for different people and both last longer than most other drugs that are typically prescribed for ADHD.

I don't know, I'm still without a job so I've yet to be in a work situation, and I'm currently on less than half the maximum dose of Vyvanse they are allowed to prescribe, which is 70mg. I'm sure the effect of 70mg is a fair bit stronger.

Neither drug, both Vyvanse and Adderall is inherently addictive I'm sure. But Adderall is certainly easier to abuse and someone more prone to abusing drugs/getting addicted would find Vyvanse the safer drug just based on how it goes into your system.

Personal responsibility comes into this too. Its no fault of the drug if a person cannot control themselves. I'm just saying that Vyvanse is safer in that regard. Adderall has that reputation because of peoples choice to abuse it, not because Adderall is bad all by itself.

Theories are great, but I knew someone who hated recreational adderall doses and loved recreational vyvanse doses. The 'non-addictiveness' of vyvanse seems mostly something contrived to sell more of it.

What they told me is that the adderall had way too many physical side effects and that the vyvase wasn't as bad in that regard and was more euphoric.

This aligns with some theoreticals concerning the two substances. Adderall causes more NE release and NRI than vyvanse will once it's activated. The NE effects commonly cause more side effects, especially peripheral CNS sides.

Granted, Vyvanse's effects go into effect and wear off much more gradually which does reduce abuse potential. It also can't be insufflated for a more immediate effect.