View Full Version : New member-Dosage question

Jeresoph
04-01-17, 05:13 PM
Hi everyone.

So glad I found this site.

I am currently on 20MG of Ritalin LA and it lasts as you probably know about 6-8 hours. My Doctor wants me to try Concerta ER for longer day's effects and I am happy to try this approach. I am about try a sample and see how I get on. The dosage of the Concerta is only 18MG. I'm a bit confused about whether rI should expect a lesser effect because it's only 18MG and it should last for a third linger (12 hours vs 8 hours) How do I estimate what is the dosage as compared to Ritalin 20MG over a shorter period? I wan tot be able to have some sense of comparison to Ritalin's effect at 20MG. Concerta's next dosage is I believe 36 MG

Any advice as to how I can work out what is the equivalent of Ritalin's 20MG in Concerta terms....? Thank you so much.

Lunacie
04-01-17, 05:46 PM
Doesn't matter what the dose it in terms of duration.
Concerta generally lasts about 6 hours.
It wasn't long enough for a full day of school for my granddaughter.
Certainly didn't cover homework.
I've never read of anyone getting the 12 hours it claims to give.

Jeresoph
04-01-17, 06:11 PM
That's interesting. I was told that Concerta (ER?) can last up to 12 hours. In fact that and its high tech formulation is what makes it interesting. I'm surprised that your granddaughter only got 6 hours of benefit from it. I need to keep learning about this drug obviously. Thx for your post.

Lunacie
04-01-17, 07:24 PM
Yes, it CAN last 10 to 12 hours. In most cases it doesn't seem to last that long.
The only way to find out how it will work for you is to give it a trial.

It worked very well for my granddaughter for 6 hours. Ideally the doc would
have given her a small booster of Ritalin, but instead she switched to another
med that was a train wreck.

sarahsweets
04-03-17, 06:15 AM
That's interesting. I was told that Concerta (ER?) can last up to 12 hours. In fact that and its high tech formulation is what makes it interesting. I'm surprised that your granddaughter only got 6 hours of benefit from it. I need to keep learning about this drug obviously. Thx for your post.

IME long acting meds that last 12 hours are rare. I think its just a marketing thing/ selling point.