View Full Version : Can how much I've eaten change how effective Vyvanse is?

virgistal
04-02-17, 07:23 PM
I am a middle aged female, recently started treatment for depression and ADD.
I have been taking 75mg of venlafaxine ER in the mornings and 75mg of Trazodone in the evenings mostly for insomnia. My Dr. added 20mg of vyvanse for ADD and binge eating four days ago. She advised me to take 20mg for one week, and increase to 40mg if I felt that I was not getting any benefit. Well, the first three days I really didn't notice any difference and was beginning to think I needed to increase the dosage. Today, instead of eating the protein heavy breakfast I normally do to buffer my stomach for the venlafaxine, I grabbed a quick bowl of pasta salad leftovers intending to cook my real breakfast later. I've been riding a virtual rocket ship all day. I zoom around from task to task, but I can't seem to concentrate on any one thing. For instance, I pulled out the vacuum cleaner to clean up a mess, then saw dog hair in the hallway and had to go get that, and then I remembered my bathroom was dirty and I had to go clean that. It's like my OCD has hit overdrive. I have not eaten much else since breakfast. The vyvanse really got my appetite today as well. Is the small breakfast the reason for this sudden surge of effects or does it just take this much time for my system to react to the new medication? Any advice for getting off the rocket ride? This isn't as bad as an anxiety attack, but if I don't come down soon I'm going to run out of things to vacuum!!! LOL

dvdnvwls
04-02-17, 07:55 PM
That unpleasant rocket feeling can come from too little food, or for some people from having coffee. So try more food, cut out coffee or at least cut it down a lot, and see if it helps.

virgistal
04-03-17, 11:11 AM
That unpleasant rocket feeling can come from too little food, or for some people from having coffee. So try more food, cut out coffee or at least cut it down a lot, and see if it helps.

Thanks, I made sure to eat well this morning and it did make a big difference. :)

dvdnvwls
04-03-17, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear that helped.

Eating healthy food at every meal time (especially breakfast and lunch - later meal usually takes care of itself) is important on any ADHD medication. So is extra water all day - the meds dehydrate you.

sarahsweets
04-04-17, 04:39 AM
Vyvanse works a little differently than the other stimulants. It begins to do its thing once it reaches the cut so IMO eating something of substance that is healthy makes sense. A lot of the other medications are blood steam oriented so maybe its not as important. Some people will insist you need to take it on an empty stomach to "feel" it but that wasnt my experience when I took vyvanse. It just makes sense that if something needs some kind of digestion to get going then getting that digestion going by eating seems like a good plan. Like DVD said though, you want to eat steadily and healthy all day because stimulants can affect appetite.