View Full Version : Advice for ADHD kids who hate to read but are good at it...

ajaxblu
04-03-17, 09:29 AM
My 15yo ADHD daughter claims she hates to read and has no desire to do so, but she's missing so much and she's good at it. On the rare occasions she's forced to read a book at school, she sometimes ends up adoring it and she's able to get through it and can't stop talking about the story. But she'll only try it when she's forced to do so. Other times she can't get through it at all.

I've tried reward systems at home for reading but she won't do it. She has an inherent understanding of grammar but if she's not into a book she doesn't comprehend much of anything. There are books she's interested in but when I get them for her, she won't go through with reading them.

Fuzzy12
04-03-17, 11:42 AM
I used to be a voracious reader but now I slot cannot read at all. I often feel like reading bit once I start I just can't focus and lose interest very quickly.

I have recently started listening to audiobooks and online lectures and I immensely enjoy thst as long as the subject is interesting to me. I csn listen to them while walking or while doing household chores. I know it's not exactly the same as reading but I'm not sure what the disadvantages would be.

Another thing you could try is to read with her or somehow get involved. Maybe apart from being forced to read what helps your daughter is regularly discussing the book or something like that.

You could also get her interest roused by first watching a relevant movie. For example I remember watching the first movie of Lord of the rings and then I bought the book because I didn't want to wait for the 2nd movie. It's still one of my favourite books.

The last thing I csn think.of is Harry Potter. That just seems to be pull in all kinds of reluctant readers. I'm mot sure if she isn't too old but I read them when I was about 20 and still loved them

Caco3girl
04-03-17, 02:37 PM
Sorry, I know you asked for advice about kids who are good at reading, and my son is not. However, I am with Fuzzy12, audiobooks saved my son in his reading classes. Percy Jackson series held his attention fairly well and gave him a wonderful foundation for mythology class :- )

Johnny Slick
04-03-17, 02:43 PM
Yeah, as an ADHD person who sometimes is a voracious reader, I just don't know... medication helps you concentrate but if you're in an especially ADHDish, um, mood (for the lack of a better term), reading, especially reading something you don't particularly feel like reading, can be just about the hardest thing to do, ever.

So I guess the trick is to get your charge into reading stuff that they want to read. I'm not *really* of the stripe that all reading is good reading - trashy novels are still trashy novels after all - but it does open up an avenue of entertainment that a lot of people don't take advantage of. I second the idea of Harry Potter by the way: I didn't read those books until I was 40 and they were still pretty damn awesome. Just because a book is marked "Young Adult" doesn't mean that only "young adults" can read it; it just means that the reading level is set for that age group.

(There are *lots* of books aimed at the Young Adult category, actually, that are flat-out American classics: To Kill A Mockingbird, The Adventures of Huck Finn, Red Badge of Courage, Lord of the Flies... I'd put The Princess Bride in there but that's just because I love the crap out of that book.)

ajaxblu
04-04-17, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone! :)

dvdnvwls
04-04-17, 08:23 PM
Having to read something - no matter the reason - is likely the problem. Rewards equals having to.

Being free to read or not read absolutely anything, having no obligations or plans for reading, and having enough free time, is the secret.

Reading assignments, even "nice" ones that come with rewards, even ones she chose but was then asked to commit to, stifle the process.

My ideal advice: Zero reading commitments, and a library card. :)
(I know that's not realistic.)

Laly
04-04-17, 09:11 PM
Does your daughter focus better on a book (assuming it's fiction) on meds or off them?

I used to read a lot before I started on meds. I think I loved it so much because I could get lost in them. It was easier to focus on a book than things that went on in real life. After I started my meds, though, I can't concentrate on reading for very long. I get bored and restless, the same is the case with TV. The only things that suck me in are creative stuff and the internet.

kvolm2016
04-06-17, 01:09 AM
When you think back over the books that she has read and enjoyed, is there a common theme? That might give you some insight as to other books for her to consider.
Another thought might be to see if there is a particular teacher that she relates well to and have that teacher recommend some books. As we all know, when someone else tells our kid the exact same thing that we have been telling them, suddenly it is a great idea - LOL