View Full Version : ADHD in High School

defry69
04-03-17, 08:47 PM
Good evening,

I'm a father of an ADHD (Apraxia/ID as well) 15 year old son/freshman in high school who's behavior is progressively getting more aggressive and defiant as the school year progresses. As of late, teachers/students/other adults describe his behavior as rude, arrogant, defiant, overly impulsive, touchy and just generally not mindful. Since he's been diagnosed for years, I've learned to be patient with him and look to change the behavior; however, the addition of hormones seems to unlocked Pandora's Box and I want to nip this in the bud before it gets out of control while NOT disciplining for the sake of disciplining/punishing.

As for meds, he's taken most of them over the years with declining results (Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta, etc). To be honest, I think he grows tolerant to one after a year or two, leading him to start something else. He stopped taking 54mg of Concerta about a month ago and has since started taking 12.5mg of Focalin. So far, damn thing might as well be a sugar pill. ;) It's not doing much of anything. I'm seriously considering switching to a SSRI to see if it'll help.

Are there any other parents of teen boys who have gone through similar behavior early in high school who might have some advice?

Dave

ivry321
04-03-17, 10:50 PM
Hi Dave,

I was diagnosed many years ago but rediagnosed a few years back.

I can tell you what would of helped me. I had tons of energy by the time highschool came around I already had a self image, if someone could of convinced me I wasn't the person I acted like It would of gone alot farther then my parents just being patient. I had no drugs to help and no direction, but I knew things were not right.

Very tough time for a kid with ADHD at the age. My opinion and please don't take this wrong because I dont know the situation but patience shouldn't even come in to play. ADHD is managable when it is. It is a brain disorder that is real and gets worst, I can promise you that he scratches his head more than you on why he does certain things. And is angry.

JUst know LOve goes a long way ,and I am sure he knows you love him.

When someone feels guilty they say " That was a mistake" People like me dont do that we do "shame"

Shame is we r the mistake"

This is my personal experience

Thanks

Dave (nice name)

Caco3girl
04-04-17, 09:25 AM
I have a freshman son with ADHD. The 54mg concerta worked for him but he lost too much weight. Doctor went to 20mg Adderal in the morning and 20 in the afternoon...that worked too but then he wasn't sleeping. Currently on 2-20mg adderal XR in the morning and we will see how that goes.

What I have noticed in my son is that he needs to work out or he becomes too much. Being in a HS sport helps with all the running, having a gym membership where he can go and lift or play basketball for HOURS also helps....even running around the block helps greatly, it evens him out sometimes.

I can say that all his medicine tries have been hit or miss within a week. Being on something that is ineffective for a month doesn't sound right, your dr. should have told you that.

defry69
04-04-17, 06:37 PM
Hi Dave!

Thanks! Assuming that's it, what works with dealing with the shame? I can read more about it on my own, but I definitely don't want him to feel 'judged' for what he's going through, but at the same time, the rude/obnoxious behavior MUST stop. Once triggered, his anger gets a bit out of control and there's no observable remorse/humility once he's over it. He's alienating a whole lot of folks at this point, even special ed school staff who are trying to help him, and I don't want to see it get any worse. At the end of the day, I can love him, but we/he really needs to get control over his actions.

There's a piece of me that thinks his mother and I divorcing about six years ago might be in the mix, but I'm not sure.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was diagnosed many years ago but rediagnosed a few years back.

I can tell you what would of helped me. I had tons of energy by the time highschool came around I already had a self image, if someone could of convinced me I wasn't the person I acted like It would of gone alot farther then my parents just being patient. I had no drugs to help and no direction, but I knew things were not right.

Very tough time for a kid with ADHD at the age. My opinion and please don't take this wrong because I dont know the situation but patience shouldn't even come in to play. ADHD is managable when it is. It is a brain disorder that is real and gets worst, I can promise you that he scratches his head more than you on why he does certain things. And is angry.

JUst know LOve goes a long way ,and I am sure he knows you love him.

When someone feels guilty they say " That was a mistake" People like me dont do that we do "shame"

Shame is we r the mistake"

This is my personal experience

Thanks

Dave (nice name)

defry69
04-04-17, 06:45 PM
Thanks!

Yeah, once we took Ryan off the 54MG and started the Focalin, he gained 10lbs in a single month!

As for him and sports, we try to get him into as much as possible. He swims 1-2X a week and does Special Olympics track (from his Intellectual Disability) on the weekend. I'm trying to get him out each day to run at least a mile, because as you noted, exercise triggers balance in our systems.

As for the meds, I think I might try to get him on a SSRI, like Prozac or similar. His system seems to run right through the stimulants and I'm wondering if we're hitting the right things.

Question for you though, how is your Freshman son doing with the girls?

Dave

I have a freshman son with ADHD. The 54mg concerta worked for him but he lost too much weight. Doctor went to 20mg Adderal in the morning and 20 in the afternoon...that worked too but then he wasn't sleeping. Currently on 2-20mg adderal XR in the morning and we will see how that goes.

What I have noticed in my son is that he needs to work out or he becomes too much. Being in a HS sport helps with all the running, having a gym membership where he can go and lift or play basketball for HOURS also helps....even running around the block helps greatly, it evens him out sometimes.

I can say that all his medicine tries have been hit or miss within a week. Being on something that is ineffective for a month doesn't sound right, your dr. should have told you that.

Caco3girl
04-05-17, 08:03 AM
Thanks!

Yeah, once we took Ryan off the 54MG and started the Focalin, he gained 10lbs in a single month!

As for him and sports, we try to get him into as much as possible. He swims 1-2X a week and does Special Olympics track (from his Intellectual Disability) on the weekend. I'm trying to get him out each day to run at least a mile, because as you noted, exercise triggers balance in our systems.

As for the meds, I think I might try to get him on a SSRI, like Prozac or similar. His system seems to run right through the stimulants and I'm wondering if we're hitting the right things.

Question for you though, how is your Freshman son doing with the girls?

Dave

Oh he's got girls all over the dang place but he is friend zoning most of them, and they don't know it. He can't tell when he is flirting and then is baffled when a girl gets mad at him for flirting with her and asking her friend out. My son does not "get" subtle body language, you have to be blunt and literal. And since teenage girls don't tend to be blunt or literal, it causes problems.

Last Baseball JV game was last week and 2 girls appeared in the stands, they didn't know who I was and I heard them having a detailed conversation of "Yeah, I know we both like him, but which ever one he chooses is just going to have to break the tie and the other girl will have to step back, agreed?"....I thought it was a cute conversation until they said my boys name, and my son has a VERY unique name, I just hung my head and tried to enjoy the game.

Sadly he has unique eyes and is model good looking...and clueless! It was in 6th grade the school guidance counselor called me and told me to have THE talk with him because he was one of the best looking boys in the school and clueless and hot are not a good combination where girls are involved.