View Full Version : Vyvanse Life Changing ..... With One Exception ....

cyclistchick
04-04-17, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while, but this is my first post! I'm 43 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. My Dr. prescribed Vyvanse 30mg the first week, then 50mg the second week and 70 the third week. The medication has been nothing short of life changing for me. Everything about my work life has changed, I'm able to focus, finish tasks in a fraction of the time, pay attention in meetings, have focused conversations with co-workers. It really is nothing short of a miracle. I'm left wondering how much I could have accomplished in life if I had been diagnosed earlier.

My relationship with my husband has improved dramatically as well. I can actually listen to him and be present when we're talking. He always used to get on my case for drifting off when he would talk to me. I just couldn't stay focused long enough to actually listen to what he was saying! Now I'm present with him which is pretty amazing for both of us.

So overall, my experience has been extremely positive, I feel like everything is in focus for the first time in my life, I feel present, focused, capable. But I'm having one big issue, and I'm hoping to get some perspective and advice about how to address it.

The thing that I love more than anything in the world is cycling. It brings me incredible joy and I think in hindsight I've been using various forms of intense exercise like cycling and Ironman racing to try to manage my ADHD for many years. I ride 200-250 miles a week & race regularly, my favorite discipline being the 40k Time Trial. It is an incredibly intense event, basically go as fast as you can for an hour or so. After starting the vyvanse, my resting HR went up a bit, from around 54 to 59 or so, not a big deal. But my HR when I'm riding is through the roof.

I'm a data nerd, so I have lots of Heart Rate, speed and power data from rides I've done so I can compare pre-vyvanse and post-vyvanse. Before I could do a 50 mile ride at @19-20mph avg. speed. My avg power would be @ 180-195 watts and my avg heart rate would be in the low 150s. Now, on 50-70 mg of vyvanse, on the same ride I'm only averaging 17.5mph, 150 watts and my average heart rate is in the mid-high 160s. topping out in the low 180s which is really high for me. Plus, I just don't feel great. I feel like I'm pushing really hard (because my heart rate is through the roof) but I'm not really pushing that hard.

I really don't want to choose between vyvanse and cycling. But I'm wondering if my body will get used to the medication and I will be able to hammer like I used to? Or am I going to be relegated to riding slow to keep my HR down? I think I might try to split my dose this weekend, maybe take 20 mg in the am before my ride, and then the other 30 after? Or maybe none before? Not sure what the best path forward is. I talked to my doctor about it and he basically told me to experiment.

Hoping someone has some experience with intense athletic activity while on this type of medication.

Thanks!

sarahsweets
04-05-17, 04:43 AM
I dont know enough about heart rate and stamina to talk specifics but the easiest way to look into this is to see a cardiologist and have a stress test.