View Full Version : Pharma Soup

Tikigiki
04-05-17, 03:38 PM
Hi all! For starters, I live alone, work from home, 5'11" 180lbs. with hypertension and afternoon headaches. I excercise 1-2x wk. I drink heavily (high-grav. beer) almost daily but I eat healthy and cook all myself. I also binge-smoke tobacco when drinking. Daily meds include Hyzar for BP, Allegra and Flonaise for allergies, and 10 mg. of Lexapro. I started my adventure in meds with 5mg Adderall (blue) 2x/day for a week, then skipping the weekend. It was fantastic the first week, then it started to make me sleepy after lunch and I always have headaches late in the day. Then my doc put me on 20mg Adderall ER for a week with same low focus results, sleepy and headaches. Next He put me on 30mg Vyvanse which improved the situation 200% except of occasional sleepiness, usual headaches, and appetite for smoking and drinking beer as well as turning me into a chatty cathy! On occasion my eyesight is affected as well as mild insomnia. He also suggested tapering my Lexapro. He was ready to put me on 40mg Vyvanse when he switched gears to 10mg Ritalin 3x/day which I started today, and haven't felt anything until the 2nd dose, and I really only feel irritable and unfocused. I'm thinking I should go back to the Vyvanse 1/day and rop it back to 20mg from 30mg. Considerations?! MANY THANKS!

sarahsweets
04-06-17, 04:16 AM
Hi all! For starters, I live alone, work from home, 5'11" 180lbs. with hypertension and afternoon headaches. I excercise 1-2x wk. I drink heavily (high-grav. beer) almost daily but I eat healthy and cook all myself. I also binge-smoke tobacco when drinking. Daily meds include Hyzar for BP, Allegra and Flonaise for allergies, and 10 mg. of Lexapro.
This is just a thought but, have you considered cutting back on your drinking? Aside from your liver thanking you you have a much better chance at seeing how well meds work without the alcohol. Would you say you are an alcoholic? Can you go with not drinking? Or is it something you are compelled to do?

I started my adventure in meds with 5mg Adderall (blue) 2x/day for a week, then skipping the weekend. It was fantastic the first week, then it started to make me sleepy after lunch and I always have headaches late in the day. Then my doc put me on 20mg Adderall ER for a week with same low focus results, sleepy and headaches. Next He put me on 30mg Vyvanse which improved the situation 200% except of occasional sleepiness, usual headaches, and appetite for smoking and drinking beer as well as turning me into a chatty cathy!
Does your doctor know how much you drink? I guarantee that the alcohol is affecting how the meds work.

On occasion my eyesight is affected as well as mild insomnia. He also suggested tapering my Lexapro. He was ready to put me on 40mg Vyvanse when he switched gears to 10mg Ritalin 3x/day which I started today, and haven't felt anything until the 2nd dose, and I really only feel irritable and unfocused. I'm thinking I should go back to the Vyvanse 1/day and rop it back to 20mg from 30mg. Considerations?! MANY THANKS!

What are you looking for from meds? If you are looking to "feel" them then you will have to considered cutting the alcohol because it can make you feel like the meds do not work. You shouldnt really judge how medication works by feelings anyway. I think that if your doc is aware of how much you drink and hasnt said anything about it, its a bit negligent. If he is not aware of how much you drink then he will be switching your meds because of what info you provide for him, minus the stuff you do not tell him. You will never get a good idea of how they work if you continue to evaulate the meds without trying them without alcohol. JMO.

Bouncingoffwall
04-06-17, 10:54 AM
Alcohol has a funny ability to quash the effectiveness of many medications.

aeon
04-06-17, 02:43 PM
Alcohol has a funny ability to quash the effectiveness of many medications.

And it potentiates some.

Alcohol + glyburide (pancreas spanker) can give me a serious episode of hypoglycemia.

That said, for some reason Dexedrine prevents that from happening, without there seeming to be any release of glucose into the blood to prevent that from occurring.

Now, alcohol + dextroamphetamine sulfate...I wouldn’t know anything about that. ;)

Cheers,
Ian