View Full Version : "Foggy head" periods at work getting serious

Tabitha123
04-06-17, 10:44 AM
I'm writing for my husband, who was just diagnosed with AHDH, and at the more severe end of the spectrum.

He's a higher ed administrator at a college, but doesn't have an assistant. He has multiple (unavoidable) meetings a day which break up his focus, and there are days, even without meetings, where his head is so foggy and he's so distracted that he can't get ANYTHING done. Then he comes home and tries to work at night. He's struggling constantly to put in a simple 40 hours and it's just not working for him. He's been on Adderall for a few months, which has helped, but not much. Recent MRI (childhood concussion) negative for abnormalities.

He has a desk job and is constantly getting bogged down with "the details." He hates it - is more a "big picture creative" person but doesn't get to do much of that. He's so frustrated with himself and I am heartbroken that he's so sad lately. I'm pushing him to consider a career switch. He has a PhD, but it's pretty specialized (higher ed). He's TERRIBLE at job interviews because - ADHD - he rambles. But he's brilliant! Anyway - just wanted to get some feedback on some types of work that are a better fit for someone with ADHD. Have any of you done a complete career change since diagnosis? Or how do you make your current job work with the ADHD symptoms? I'd love some advice. Thank you!

dvdnvwls
04-06-17, 01:04 PM
Has the fog become worse since Adderall started? Maybe his dosage is too high.

Does he get any caffeine? That can cause Adderall problems.

stef
04-06-17, 01:17 PM
Oh, I went to a time management workshop this week
I have some ideas, but im about to leave work
I'll try and post here tomorrow

Tabitha123
04-06-17, 04:25 PM
Would love some tips!

No, the Adderall has really helped him. He's definitely been more focused since taking it. The problem is that throughout his life, he has these random times where "the fog descends" and it can be weeks or months before it lifts. The last one was about six years ago. He does have a little caffeine, I guess, in his morning tea.

I personally think his desk job makes it even worse. I wish he could do something completely different, something more meaningful and that would allow him the flexibility to work when he's hyper-focused. The problem is that he has a specialized degree and it seems like everything in that field involves being desk-bound. If he were in a higher position, he could at least delegate detail work. If he were in a lower position, he could potentially do something that didn't have so many tiny details to hassle with, but the salary would be halved. I'm encouraging him to do that if he wants, but it's a shame that he put so much time and $$ into getting his PhD if he's going to take a job that he could've gotten as an undergrad. It's been hard for him to advance, too, because he has so much trouble with job interviews - the rambling is out of control.