View Full Version : What kind of job/career pays decent but doesn't require much reading or conversation?

Obsessive_ADD
04-06-17, 05:54 PM
Are there any middle class jobs/careers in the modern world that don't require much reading or following conversation? English is my first language and I'm a fairly articulate speaker but I am terrible at reading and often have trouble following extended conversations (particularly group conversations). Receiving information through auditory means is a relative strength according to my neuropsych evaluation but it's also problematic in the real-world because you can only ask people to repeat themselves so many times whereas you can typically re-read stuff when you keep getting lost. Any ideas?

:thankyou:

dvdnvwls
04-06-17, 07:02 PM
Take notes?

I think it would be easier by far to solve this problem head on, than to avoid it.

dormammau2008
04-07-17, 05:04 PM
someplace quite would be good,,,, art.... computer...work .....

acdc01
04-08-17, 05:24 AM
Those technicians that do echocardiograms and ekgs. Got to chit chat with the customers but it's not like you have to retain that info.

You do have to listen and read when learning but once you get the hang of it, there should be a lot less of that. I can't imagine a job almost competently devoid of listening and reading except something like a janitor or security guard.

There may be other medical tech jobs where there is even less needing to do that. I do worry about technology taking over jobs within the next 10-20 years but not sure which jobs would be eliminated.

Bouncingoffwall
04-08-17, 11:43 AM
Radiology technician, X-ray technician, graphic design.

I loved studying the electromagnetic spectrum in school. Cosmic rays were my favorite.

Jenn1202
04-08-17, 03:26 PM
Freelance software engineering. Freelance graphic design. I think most communication is done over email so you could use text to speech software to listen to the emails being read to you. You're probably going to have to meet with your boss or team 1-4 times a month for about an hour and people often meet over Hangouts or Skype, which means you can record the meetings.

You could also try working as a freelance transcriber. I'm not sure how well it pays, but you get to listen to people speak and transcribe the audio into text. You can pause it whenever you feel like you're getting lost and listen to the audio as many times as you need.