View Full Version : Psychiatrist or Doctor knowledgable on Natural treatment or Diet?

Obsessive_ADD
04-06-17, 06:10 PM
Most of the psychiatrists I have been to have had little to nothing to say about natural treatments and/or dietary intervention. My symptoms seem to vary a lot with what I eat but my current doctor is dismissive of it apart from telling me I should following the f***ing food pyramid.

How might I find a doctor who isn't going to sell me snake oil that can actually help me? Preferably on medicaid, but paying ~$600/month out of pocket is an option. I've pretty much exhausted traditional psychiatric medication options - there might be something in there that can help me a little, but I think supplements and diet are going to be the most important and could use help with this. Any ideas?
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

dvdnvwls
04-06-17, 06:21 PM
For ADHD, natural treatment equals snake oil, every time. Including the better natural treatments you're sure are out there. ALL are snake oil. Conventional medical-model treatment is all there is, unless you want something that doesn't work, which I really doubt.

Sorry there isn't a nicer picture out there, but there really isn't. When someone assures you they have an alternative, it's snake oil.

dvdnvwls
04-06-17, 06:57 PM
(Please note that what I said only applies to ADHD. Other conditions may have quite different situations.)

ToneTone
04-06-17, 11:41 PM
A term that might help you find such doctors is "integrative" medicine.

Theartistmom
04-09-17, 03:14 AM
I found that a lot of workout helps a little. Like 2 times 1/2 hour workout everyday. I have used biking (fast) to and from school/work i a good option when I lived in the countryside, when I lived in cities I had to run or go to the gym.
I have an ADHD friend who is not on medication and she drink lot of something called fussi tea that contains Cola sterculiace. It has a very high caffein content but does not upset the stomach.
I have practiced a lot (!!) of meditation and it has helped a lot! It has helped with social skills, my inattentiveness/absendmindedness in daily life, excessive thoughts, ability to listen. I still have a lot of difficulty with doing boring tasks, but now I can do it a little (before I could not do it at all, like in school I NEVER did my homework, no matter what bad outcome it would have).

dvdnvwls
04-09-17, 01:41 PM
Exercise (any kind you want) and meditation are great for ADHD and great for anybody.

Some meditation instructors insist that there's only one right way to meditate (for example sitting still on the floor). That is not true. For a lot of people, ADHD or no, meditation works better when they move or walk, or even run. If you find a rigid unhelpful meditation teacher, leave them and find another.

Theartistmom
04-09-17, 03:45 PM
Some meditation instructors insist that there's only one right way to meditate (for example sitting still on the floor). That is not true. For a lot of people, ADHD or no, meditation works better when they move or walk, or even run. If you find a rigid unhelpful meditation teacher, leave them and find another.
I agree! Specially with adhd you have to find a way that works for you and that you like doing. The "like" is important too. And another important thing is not to expect that the mind will be quiet or have that as a goal. Many people give up meditation because they have that idea and think that they are not able to meditate because their mind is never still.

sarahsweets
04-10-17, 01:24 PM
Most of the psychiatrists I have been to have had little to nothing to say about natural treatments and/or dietary intervention. My symptoms seem to vary a lot with what I eat but my current doctor is dismissive of it apart from telling me I should following the f***ing food pyramid.

How might I find a doctor who isn't going to sell me snake oil that can actually help me?
If you are looking for "natural" ways of treatment then be prepared to have to deal with snake oil. There is something to be said about diet and supplements but those are something YOU do for your own personal well being. Having a doctor try these things out on you is sort of a waste of money. What is it you dont like about medical intervention that has been proven to work>

Preferably on medicaid, but paying ~$600/month out of pocket is an option. I've pretty much exhausted traditional psychiatric medication options - there might be something in there that can help me a little, but I think supplements and diet are going to be the most important and could use help with this. Any ideas?
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Wait, you are able to pay$600 out of pocket but you want to do this with a doctor that doesnt support medical treatment-like with meds and stuff like that?