View Full Version : Gut Biome

ginniebean
04-07-17, 11:35 AM
I found this article interesting tho it doesn't mention adhd. I have been skeptical of claims surrounding gut biome mostly because they have sounded so snake oily. However, there has been research done now, I do not know how rigorous that sounds a bit promising.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/gut-bacteria-on-the-brain/395918/

(If I'm doing the link wrong, please change it for me.)

aeon
04-07-17, 03:38 PM
People eager to make money and have sycophants have created all manner of snake-oil media messages about the gut biome, but indeed, it is real, and rigorous, peer-reviewed clinical research is revealing how so—minus mysticism, pseudo-science, and other such claptrap.

I eat a lot of yogurt, and I’ll leave it at that. The less sugar, and the more live active cultures, the better.

And FWIW, The Atlantic is a fine publication, and not one wont to publish junk.

Thanks,
Ian

Johnny Slick
04-07-17, 04:25 PM
Wow, that's fascinating. I don't tend to eat yogurt because with the slight exception of the Greek stuff it's just like a vehicle for carbs and, well, I have the diabeetus. That being said, bagels aren't exactly low-cal and that is now my normal breakfast, so... maybe I'll switch out for a few weeks and see...

dormammau2008
04-07-17, 05:43 PM
bio yougets porbotic etc don't have enough in them you need 10 fould to do any good and that cost a lot I know of one 14000billion live cuters in it you have 3 a day....for 3/6 months and can make a massaive diff but costs a bomob to buy,,,it,,,but if yoyu can afored that then woth it bio dome is something to dff look at

Pilgrim
04-07-17, 06:11 PM
Certain probiotics are excellent. You pay for them.

dormammau2008
04-07-17, 06:37 PM
true the better they are the more you pay

ginniebean
04-07-17, 08:44 PM
Wow, that's fascinating. I don't tend to eat yogurt because with the slight exception of the Greek stuff it's just like a vehicle for carbs and, well, I have the diabeetus. That being said, bagels aren't exactly low-cal and that is now my normal breakfast, so... maybe I'll switch out for a few weeks and see...

There are other low carb alternatives. You'd have to make your own saurkraut but that's loaded with gut biome stuff. Look up probiotics and see what you can find

dormammau2008
04-08-17, 12:28 AM
that's true ginnie.....sauerkraut....works well,,,

StoicNate
04-08-17, 12:34 AM
Kefir and yogurt are my favorites.
It's been forever.

dormammau2008
04-08-17, 07:02 PM
how do you make the kefir and what dose it tast like???