View Full Version : Taking medication to clean the house

Theartistmom
04-07-17, 01:50 PM
I am new in this forum. I am not officially diagnosed with ADD, but there is no doubt that I have it (runs in the family too). I don't want a doctors diagnose, and I don't want to take drugs, at least not regularly.
All my life I have been really struggling to try to be clean and tidy, but my place has always been a mess. Not that I am a single mom the struggle is even bigger. It is also a struggle to live in a mess! I have tried learning to clean up all my life and I really feel like I don't want to struggle with it anymore.

So once I tried one evening to take kava kava and wow! I could just do the things I decided to do. It was like a miracle. Usually its an inner fight and I get nothing done. But I didn't like the emotional effect of the drug. Felt like is took away something.
Now I am considering to find some ADD drug and take i once a week just to clean up my house. Does anyone else do this? And what drug is best suited? I don't want it to last long, maybe just 2-4 hours or so.

namazu
04-07-17, 02:00 PM
To get a legitimate prescription for ADHD medication, you will need an ADHD diagnosis. (Please note that on this forum, we don't condone or encourage illicit use of prescription medications.)

If you have difficulties consistent with ADHD, and a family history of ADHD, then it may be worth seeking a formal diagnosis and treatment. Treatment shouldn't change your personality or mess with your emotions -- just make it easier to function with fewer ADHD symptoms in the way.

If you otherwise have no need for medication to function in daily life, why not try coffee and/or cheerful music for helping clean the house?

Theartistmom
04-07-17, 02:47 PM
Thanks for your reply. The reason i don't want regular diagnosis and treatment is that I am suffering from post concussion syndrome, which is causing me much more trouble than the ADD(which I manage to live with all my life). If I get diagnosed with ADD too I might get all kind of trouble and maybe even be forced to take ADD medication to receive the help I am getting from the post concussion syndrome. I am very sensitive to any drugs and I am sure i would not like to take them regularly. Musione which I have trouble with because of ADD and other things I can avoid. Cleaning I have never been able to get done and it bothers me a lot! Coffee doesn't help. Music helps a little, but not enough to get the things done I need to do.

Theartistmom
04-07-17, 02:52 PM
The way the system is in my country, I might get into all kind of trouble if I get a diagnosis. I considered it, but I think it is not worth it. I have lived with it my whole life an d I had a lot of trouble because of it, but I also found a way to live with it. The cleaning is still a big issue though. Coffee does not help. Music helps a short while.

dvdnvwls
04-07-17, 04:45 PM
If a diagnosis isn't worth it, illegal use of prescription drugs is far less worth it. I don't know Danish law, but in most countries, possessing this type of medication without a prescription is treated as a serious crime.

Pilgrim
04-07-17, 06:22 PM
This is not the way to go.

Cyllya
04-07-17, 11:59 PM
To clarify what namazu said, the med requires a prescription, and a prescription requires some kind of diagnosis, but the diagnosis doesn't necessarily have to be ADHD. There's been a small amount of research showing psychostimulants are good for things like traumatic brain injury, so some doctors will prescribe it for that purpose (which is legal), which means you might be able to get it as treatment for your post-concussion syndrome. You might have trouble getting a doctor to do this, since the relevant meds have a (relatively undeserved) reputation for having horrific adverse effects and because lots of doctors and policy makers are on a constant witch hunt for people using the drugs for non-medical purposes. I'm sure it's at least worth talking to your treatment providers though.

The meds that do what you want are instant-release amphetamine or methylphenidate (Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin).

(This post is based on the USA. I know zilch about Denmark.)

Theartistmom
04-08-17, 05:16 AM
Cyllya, Thanks so much! That is very helpful! I know there is such a thing as ADD induced by traumatic brain injury, so maybe there is a chance that i could get a prescription for that purpose.
And I am sure you are right about the illegal drug thing. I would not take anything that I was not sure what was in it. But I am kind of desperate to get a life that works more easily, I am so tired of struggling.
As a child and a teenager the ADD was really bad, but I found that meditation has helped me so much.
Do you know about non-prescription drugs or natural substances that help?

Little Missy
04-08-17, 08:17 AM
My mum was prescribed medication to clean the house. It was popular in the 50's.

She hired a maid and shopped instead.

dvdnvwls
04-08-17, 03:00 PM
... And I am sure you are right about the illegal drug thing. I would not take anything that I was not sure what was in it.
You're missing the point. It's not about staying away from impure drugs. It's about avoiding a criminal record and avoiding being "on the list" of those who doctors permanently refuse to treat.

Some drugs (such as marijuana etc) are viewed rather kindly by police and officials in many countries. This is not like that. By international agreement, ADHD medications are listed as highly restricted drugs, and the criminal penalties are significant.

Theartistmom
04-09-17, 02:55 AM
Thanks dvdnvwls, I understand that, my health is just more a concern to me than criminal record, thats why I wrote that.
Anyhow I just chatted with others that too have post concussion syndrome, and it is possible to get a prescription with that diagnosis. But the once that tried it for PCS says it has bad side effects like a hangover. When I have Add will I too have the bad side effects? With the PCS I already feel like a have a hangover everyday so I don't want to add to that.

Pilgrim
04-09-17, 08:21 AM
If ADD runs heavily in your family why don't you get a diagnosis. It sounds like some med would help.

Swissy
04-09-17, 10:30 AM
Why don't you just stick with the kava kava if it works good for you?

dvdnvwls
04-09-17, 01:48 PM
I really doubt that you'd be OK with spending a lot of time in jail and having a permanent record as a criminal. Again, this is not just marijuana. The authorities will treat you like a heroin dealer, not like a misguided student. That would be wrong of course, but they're required to do that.

Cyllya
04-09-17, 02:16 PM
Thanks dvdnvwls, I understand that, my health is just more a concern to me than criminal record, thats why I wrote that.
Anyhow I just chatted with others that too have post concussion syndrome, and it is possible to get a prescription with that diagnosis. But the once that tried it for PCS says it has bad side effects like a hangover. When I have Add will I too have the bad side effects? With the PCS I already feel like a have a hangover everyday so I don't want to add to that.

Unfortunately, there's not much way to predict who gets what side effects. (Whether you have ADHD won't matter.) If one drug is no good for you, another one might be better.They should start you at a small doses to make sure it's tollerable.

If you're only taking the med occasionally, you are more likely to get withdrawal effects, but withdrawal is fairly minor for most people regardless.

The legal non-prescription options are limited. There's caffeine and nicotine mainly, and some people have found benefit from pseudoephedrine. I think dextromethorphin too? None of those have been studied much (or at all) for ADHD treatment, so I can't really recommend them. (In the USA, you can't even get dextromethorphin by itself; it's only mixed with another drug.)

I saw a research paper suggesting a really extensive vitamin supplement program helped some, but less than meds. (I think the product was Empower or something, but it was an all around multi vitamin. The study participants were taking like 15 pills a day.)

Theartistmom
04-09-17, 03:40 PM
I really doubt that you'd be OK with spending a lot of time in jail and having a permanent record as a criminal.
I think you are making weird assumptions about me. That I am more concerned with taking drugs, does not mean I am not concerned with doing things that might get me in trouble. Ether way I have no clue about drug-markets and the far easiest way to get Adhd drugs would be to go to the doctor.

Why don't you just stick with the kava kava if it works good for you?
I did not like the sideeffect. I felt it took some of my emotions and the next day was like a hangover.

If ADD runs heavily in your family why don't you get a diagnosis. It sounds like some med would help.
I do think meds would help, but I dont like meds, thats the dilemma. And for sure I would not like to be on medication all the time. I am very sensitive about something that altars ones state and i dont do drug or even drink alcohol. I just dislike it. But I also dislike the mess! And i dislike how slow I am when I have to focus on boring tasks, today I spend 10 hours on something that should just have taken 3 hours. I only managed to finish because of a deadline tomorrow:-/ So my idea is that I could just take it when I need it the most.

It is strange somehow that I lived with these days all my life, where I spend whole days trying to do something, but ending up doing nothing. And feeling bad about it, and having a bad day because all I did was be in this inner fight of trying to do stuff. Now I know about ADD and that there is a way around it. It is tempting...

sarahsweets
04-10-17, 01:29 PM
I do think meds would help, but I dont like meds, thats the dilemma. And for sure I would not like to be on medication all the time. I am very sensitive about something that altars ones state and i dont do drug or even drink alcohol. I just dislike it. But I also dislike the mess! And i dislike how slow I am when I have to focus on boring tasks, today I spend 10 hours on something that should just have taken 3 hours. I only managed to finish because of a deadline tomorrow:-/ So my idea is that I could just take it when I need it the most.
Have you ever taken tylenol or advil? Have you ever read the side effect profile or warnings about tylenol? If you needed insulin would you still take it?
All meds alter one's state, thats the point. Just because these meds have an overblown stigma to them, doesnt mean they are worse for you.

It is strange somehow that I lived with these days all my life, where I spend whole days trying to do something, but ending up doing nothing. And feeling bad about it, and having a bad day because all I did was be in this inner fight of trying to do stuff. Now I know about ADD and that there is a way around it. It is tempting...

Tempting is not the word I would use, its called treatment. You have every right to want medical treatment for a medical, science-backed condition with medical science-backed treatment options.
Dont buy into the stigma that adhd meds are evil, you are selling yourself short.

dvdnvwls
04-10-17, 08:30 PM
Theartistmom: I'm making no assumptions at all. You are making assumptions that criminal behaviour will turn out OK.

Honestly, it might turn out OK. But why take that chance?

Sunflower009
04-11-17, 12:54 AM
I understand your fear of being labeled and then having "the system" take things beyond your control. I really urge you to check with someone more knowledgable about the Danish healthcare system, to find out if those fears are founded or not. I really find it extrememly unlikley that you would ever be forced to accept any kind of treatment or medication, even in the name of having a different treatment. That would just be scary!!

I live in Germany, and I'm not sure weather our healthcare systems are similar or not, but here you get a diagnosis, then it's up to you to seek treatment for it. You are the one who contacts the psychologist for therapy (if you want it) and you are the one who contacts the psychaitrist for medication (if you want it.) Even if you don't have multiple conditions or medications, they STILL have to experiment around (using your feedback) to find a combination of medication/dosage which works for you and which doesn't have bad side effects. And if you have multiple conditions or medications then they would certainly take that into account, and if one would cause problems with the other, then it would be an irresponsable doctor who didn't pay attention to that.

I feel like it should be possible to consult your doctor about it without any problems. They should telll you if there would be any issues with insurance or anything. And if treating the ADHD would cause problems for treating PCS, they could tell you that, too.

Ultimately, you should be able to stop any medication which has side effects you don't like, without having any insurance issues.

dvdnvwls
04-11-17, 03:37 PM
The only situation in which anyone is forced to take medication is if the doctor truly believes that the person will harm others or harm themselves, and that the medication has a good chance of preventing that.

If you are not a danger to others, and not a danger to yourself, no one will make you take medication of any kind.

And certainly no one will force you to take ADHD medication, because it doesn't even treat that type of condition.