View Full Version : Another Adderall vs. Vyvanse Q...

tearsong
04-07-17, 02:04 PM
I'd been on Vyvanse for about a year, before I realized it was making me super anxious and panicky the entire day - for absolutely no reason... I took it one day during spring vacation when I was trying to get work done, and that's where I attributed it to the meds; there was nothing else going on at the time... (Though it might also be made worse with long breaks between med cycles? I had gone the summer without insurance, then skipped taking it until the end of spring break.)

I think this is a side-effect that happened either intermittently or constantly with variable severity (I think the latter), but in both cases I thought it was just stress because I typically only take it during the semester.

It also didn't really give me the "laser focus" that people describe... It didn't seem to do much at all but give me a bunch of energy (which was probably helpful, but not incredibly life-changing) and make me really tired when it wore off (which actually IS helpful for sleeping, since my circadian rhythm is basically completely jacked)...

My question is this.... I've read in other posts about the L-amp vs d-amp, and feel that it is worth trying in order to get better focus... But since I don't know what was causing the reaction above, is Adderall completely off the table, given that it is 75% the same as Vyvanse? Would I be better off trying something like Concerta, etc?

I was on Ritalin as a kid and that didn't seem to do much, either, so I figured I'd skip that one as well... (My 4th grade teacher (according to school records) apparently said she saw minor benefits, while the 5th grade teacher saw none at all, and that was the end of meds until last year (at 36).)

I really did want to try Adderall, since I know so many people who take it and have said that other meds didn't work for them -- one who had tried Vyvanse and apparently was missing the enzyme. That said, I also don't want to waste time with it if it's just going to do the same thing as Vyvanse, since you can't fill a script more than once per month...

dvdnvwls
04-07-17, 02:27 PM
If Vyvanse is working poorly, which it sounds like it is, then I don't think you need to spend much time hunting for the reason why. If you've tried lowering the dose to the minimum and still no luck, then I think one of the other medications is worth a shot. Again, we could argue back and forth about reasons and causes and so on, but really who cares? You need something that works.

tearsong
04-07-17, 02:37 PM
Sorry, the actual question is what to try next, not whether to stick with Vyvanse. :P
(I actually haven't taken the Vyvanse in weeks because I *really* didn't like the way it made me feel...)

Since I'd reacted so poorly to (something in) Vyvanse, I'm not sure whether to try Adderall next or something else... (Since Adderall is essentially 75% the same as Vyvanse?)

I have an appointment with the dr. on 4/19, but I'm not sure whether to argue for (or even suggest) Adderall (based on experiences of others) or just take whatever she gives me...

dvdnvwls
04-07-17, 03:28 PM
I think the right advice is try "something" else. I don't think it even really matters. You just need to find one that works, and honestly it's no better than trial and error.

tearsong
04-07-17, 10:45 PM
So... By that answer, I can infer that if you have the jittery/panicky side-effects to Vyvanse, it is not necessarily a given that you will have the same side-effects on Adderall? (Even though the two are so similar?)

I mean, if it's a complete crap-shoot (i.e., 50/50 chance to have that side-effect on Vyvanse and not have it on Adderall), then I'll definitely give it a shot!

(I just hate the timing, cause it's mid-semester and the drs. appointment is a week or two from finals. :( Nothing can ever be simple, can it?! :P)

Greyhound1
04-07-17, 11:00 PM
You may want to consider Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine before Adderall.

Many here have had good success with it and it seems to cause fewer side effects for some including me. I switched from Adderall to it due to side effects. It works well for me without them. It's all D-amp. & no L.

dvdnvwls
04-08-17, 01:33 PM
Just my opinion: it's not really a crap shoot, but considering how similar the drugs theoretically are, it's far more of one than it ought to be.

tearsong
04-08-17, 10:50 PM
Got it -- thanks!

italianstallion
04-10-17, 07:57 PM
I'd been on Vyvanse for about a year, before I realized it was making me super anxious and panicky the entire day - for absolutely no reason... I took it one day during spring vacation when I was trying to get work done, and that's where I attributed it to the meds; there was nothing else going on at the time... (Though it might also be made worse with long breaks between med cycles? I had gone the summer without insurance, then skipped taking it until the end of spring break.)

I think this is a side-effect that happened either intermittently or constantly with variable severity (I think the latter), but in both cases I thought it was just stress because I typically only take it during the semester. ...

I have also felt this way. Have a lot of people experienced this/ are there any studies or possible explanations? For the 4 semesters I have been taking vyvanse, with extended breaks in-between, each time I've come back the vyvanse has seemed to become less and less effective. It is not giving me the focus it once did and I feel like the more the focus disappears, it is increasingly replaced with anxiety. I almost feel like if I had never stopped taking it for extended periods of time that it would not have lost its effectiveness but I have no way of being sure of this. All I know is the first semester it seemed to be the solution to all the problems I had, it was a miracle and now, in my fourth semester, I cannot say if it is helping me at all or only hindering me.

Also you mentioned not being sure if it gave you focus or just energy, but I feel like the two can go hand in hand and having energy helps you focus, it's draining to stay on task in some of these class lectures as I'm sure you know. I feel like a lot of the times I am lacking the energy to enable me to focus, but that's just my speculation and I don't know if there is any real relation.

tearsong
04-12-17, 02:27 PM
Also you mentioned not being sure if it gave you focus or just energy, but I feel like the two can go hand in hand and having energy helps you focus, it's draining to stay on task in some of these class lectures as I'm sure you know.

Well, for me, it was never this "lightning focus"... In addition to having a bit more energy (or a few more spoons), I was less likely to start to do the same task 6 different times (and get distracted before even getting to start it). However, I was still kind of all over the place in attention.

I just thought that was the best I was going to get; but as I read more, I think that this med just isn't the best fit for me. (Even before taking into account the anxiety piece...)

I honestly don't know whether breaks affect anything at all, or if I should have started at 10mg and increased to 40 over time or what... That's just my anecdotal bit. Sorry. :(

tearsong
04-12-17, 08:44 PM
I honestly don't know whether breaks affect anything at all, or if I should have started at 10mg and increased to 40 over time or what... That's just my anecdotal bit. Sorry. :(

(Sorry, to clarify, I meant if I should have gone up slowly again each time I took a break, rather than going from nothing (for the 3 week - 3 month breaks) straight back to 40mg all at once.)

aur462
04-15-17, 09:53 PM
I prefer IR's generally because they are more flexible time windows. Vyvanse has been ok when I've taken it as a "base", used with an Adderall booster, but I prefer Adderall if choosing a regimen of only one of them.

You may want to consider Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine before Adderall.

I "cosign". Perhaps it's simply that it's stronger, thus less is needed. Additionally, it kicks in faster for me. You will often have to have the pharmacy order it though as my experience is most don't have in stock most of the time.

On a cliche, "everyone is different" front, however, my wife prefers Adderall over "dexedrine IR". Incidentally, our "neurological anomalies" probably helped solidify our relationship :)