View Full Version : Checklist

angelover02740
04-07-17, 04:58 PM
Just wondering does any have or used a checklist with the teacher to keep track on your child's day as far as not being focused. We are on Ritalin IR 5mg 2xs a day and some days we have good days and others not so good. So i would like a checklist to help keep track..we have already upped his dose from 2.5 to 5mg

dvdnvwls
04-07-17, 05:06 PM
Do you mean a checklist for the teacher to fill out?

angelover02740
04-08-17, 08:25 AM
Yes I'm looking for something that she can quickly check off any issues with his day for example. Unfocused, excessive talking, not finishing his work..im trying to see if there is a pattern so we can figure out if it's a bad day or this meds need to be tweeked

dvdnvwls
04-08-17, 03:07 PM
Hmmmm. Would the teacher be willing and have spare time for this?

If you have received messages from this teacher before, perhaps the checklist could be a simple recycle of the most common or important things the teacher mentioned in the past, with check boxes beside.

I think asking the teacher to look for behaviours that YOU specify would probably not go well. I'd advise sticking to the way the teacher already thinks.

Caco3girl
04-10-17, 09:42 AM
Just wondering does any have or used a checklist with the teacher to keep track on your child's day as far as not being focused. We are on Ritalin IR 5mg 2xs a day and some days we have good days and others not so good. So i would like a checklist to help keep track..we have already upped his dose from 2.5 to 5mg

Everyone has good days and bad days. If there is a juicy bit of information that could lead to a talkative day so that may not be the best catagory to choose, since it could have misleading results.

Before my son was diagnosed I was trying everything under the sun to get him to "behave". I emailed all of his teachers and asked if they would be willing to sign off on if my son had "Acceptable Behavior" or "Unacceptable Behavior" that day, and if it was unacceptable if they could write a quick note as to why. They all agreed provided HE bring the sheet to them daily.

I printed up a worksheet that had every class name, the words Acceptable or unacceptable behavior, and they had to circle one. Then under the class name were two lines if they wanted to write me a note. It did make some patterns clear such as by the end of the day he should really just have Gym last period because his impulses and brain were toast by then. That was worked into the 504 and then the IEP.

sarahsweets
04-10-17, 12:46 PM
I used to keep a notebook in his bag that was between the teachers an I that I called "communication notebook". It was so any questions or comments could go between my kids' teachers and I. It could be questions about an asignment, reminders or mentions of behavior issues but the teachers agreed to ask for it and add to it daily and supervised him getting it out and putting it back in his bag for me.

angelover02740
04-12-17, 01:47 PM
this is all new to me and Im so confused. His teacher is more than willing to do some type of checklist. I wanted something simple so it wasnt taking to much time. Im not finding him to be anymore focused at home and she agreed that she doesnt seem uch of a difference at school, so now I need to discuss bumping his meds up. I have no idea whats a low dose for most but we are at 5mg 2xs a day

ADHDMUM
04-12-17, 03:12 PM
As a teacher I don't advice this. If there is a bad incident the parent needs to know about, you will get a call. If your child wants to talk about it they will.

It's too tempting as a parent to quiz the child and complain about the way they reacted

However, if I had an awful day in work and I went home and my hubby started to give out to me about my awful day, it would make my evening awful as well.

angelover02740
04-12-17, 03:28 PM
checklist would be more for my knowledge on how he's been with the medication if we see that the dose isnt working and if the behavior is consistent. My son isnt ADHD so its alittle hard to see if the medication is working or if his days are off days.

ADHDMUM
04-12-17, 04:36 PM
checklist would be more for my knowledge on how he's been with the medication if we see that the dose isnt working and if the behavior is consistent. My son isnt ADHD so its alittle hard to see if the medication is working or if his days are off days.

That does make sense although daily might be too much. Weekly might be better, all kids have off days so an overall picture of a week might give you a better picture.