View Full Version : Week 1 with Bupropion XL

Bouncingoffwall
04-08-17, 04:47 PM
It's approaching one week that I've been taking Wellbutrin XL 150. I'm set to up the dose to 300 on Tuesday.

I was on Focalin XR 20 mg before. I had maintained that dose for a very long time by taking weekend breaks (OK'ed by my doc). I stopped about four weeks ago because doc and I suspected my increasing insomnia was being caused by my medication. However, the culprit turned out to be anxiety. Going unmedicated for three weeks made my insomnia worse, not better!

Focalin was okay, but I felt it gave me a little too much "artificial" sociability, as in I would become more talkative and animated in social situations that I usually am. Towards the end, it wasn't doing much for distractibility. In retrospect, I think I responded much better to Ritalin IR, Vyvanse and Adderall.

Back to Wellbutrin, the experiment is going well. I was able to catch up on all my work that had been piling up while I was unmedicated. I also find myself much more measured in social interactions. I don't feel the need to be the funniest in the room. I also feel a sense of calm I didn't get on Focalin. Focalin produced a much more "driven" feeling. Also, my sex drive has increased! I don't think that's an effect produced by Wellbutrin necessarily, but I'll go with it!

I've been sleeping like a baby since I started taking the medication.

I find the Wellbutrin gives me just enough "push," just enough mental discipline needed to push through tedious tasks. I still get to make the decision on whether to complete that task, but if I do, it helps.

I hope things keep on this track and these effects last. Maybe the 300 mg will be too much? I'll keep posting my experiences here. Maybe my positive experience is because of depression or dysthymia I had been developing over time...

Bouncingoffwall
04-11-17, 01:01 AM
I went up to 300 mg today and it wasn't at all overwhelming. The hard edges I experienced while adjusting to the medication have faded and I'm tolerating it very well. Overall, my mood and level of optimism seems to have improved and I'm feeling less stressed overall - this is resulting in a more consistent sleep pattern. I'm still taking 50 mg Trazodone as "insurance" to help sleep.

Focus is still good. My productivity has increased overall. Combined with a meeting with my clinical supervisor last week (he helped me implement a time-management plan), I'm doing far better.

Some things I've noticed: I still tend to dominate conversations. I'm feeling more social overall, but I also have pressured speech when I really get into a conversation. I also have to remain aware of how I might trail off onto topics that others aren't interested. In fact, it seems I really haven't slowed down in social interactions. I'm still occasionally interrupting others, just not as bad before.

My focus is moderately increased. I find it easier to focus on tasks, and find myself getter my less distracted by the Internet or my phone. This effect was somewhat enhanced by a 12 oz coffee I had in the morning. I was able to drink the coffee with no jitteriness or palpitations.

Sexual side effects I've noticed involve delayed ejaculation; which is a given with antidepressants. But it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure W will appreciate me having more stamina.

Bouncingoffwall
04-13-17, 09:55 AM
Okay, so the experiment is done. Wellbutrin worked ok for 5 days. My mood and consequently, motivation went up, which was nice. But then I went up to 300 mg on day 6 and I just felt irritable. My chest felt uncomfortable and my focus was crap. At one point, it felt like I was going to pass out. I dropped down to 150 the next day and my symptoms returned full force. So I'll call my pdoc today and explain the situation.

I wonder how many of my initial positive effects were attributable to the placebo effect.

Bouncingoffwall
04-13-17, 11:34 AM
Okay, so the experiment is done. Wellbutrin worked ok for 5 days. My mood and consequently, motivation went up, which was nice. But then I went up to 300 mg on day 6 and I just felt irritable. My chest felt uncomfortable and my focus was crap. At one point, it felt like I was going to pass out. I dropped down to 150 the next day and my symptoms returned full force. So I'll call my pdoc today and explain the situation.

I wonder how many of my initial positive effects were attributable to the placebo effect.

Whoops. I was actually on the 300 mg for two days. The first day went okay, and the second day was crap. Proof of my mental disorganization!