View Full Version : End of options

EuropeanADHD
04-08-17, 05:49 PM
You know what, I just can't do it anymore. I've been looking for a new job for about 6 months, not very intensively since I work full time now, but I've sent about 50 applications in sum. And found nothing. Just nothing.

I hate my current job so much that I have to fight tears every time I have to think about it. Tried to solve problems at work and ask my managers to let me work on what I was actually hired for. No effect.

Add to that the fact that I'm constantly travelling for work, flying a lot (getting up at 4:00 am), sleeping in hotels, so I'm always exhausted and in need of sleep.

And that there are no companies anymore in the fields I'm interested in that I could apply at - all rejected me in the last 6 months.

I just don't know what I should do now. I don't want to start taking antidepressants anymore since I've never tolerated any to the point of gaining weight extremely quickly or having to sleep the whole day after taking a pill. But I just don't know what I should do now. Yes, I consulted a doctor. He gave me a prescription for some antidepressants, which I didn't buy. I also took some days off but it didn't help. I don't have family or friends around.

dvdnvwls
04-08-17, 06:29 PM
When you see that you've come to the end of your list of options, and none of them can work, that can only mean one thing: You were looking at the wrong list.

That may sound silly or contrived or glib, but I assure you, it's none of those things. When all options fail, the only option is a new list of options.

EuropeanADHD
04-10-17, 08:27 AM
"When all options fail, the only option is a new list of options."

Not sure what these are. My current job is making be literally sick. I actually was on a sick leave for some time because our my emotional state.

I went to great lengths to find a new job. I sometimes travelled 500+ km for a job interview. And nothing.

I don't know why this is. People I work with give me excellent reviews - so I know I'm a good employee. I've already got feedback from so many coworkers who even praised me in front of our bosses, which in my very competitive field doesn't normally happen. The same from clients.

One aspect may be that I'm a woman in a field where there are hardly any women. I hardly ever meet another woman during a job interview. Normally, even if I meet 4-6 different people from a company in the interview process for one company, these are all men. I used to believe this didn't play a role but after this happening so many times I'm starting to think it does. If a company doesn't employ women what are the chances they will take me? And if I don't meet any minority person, what are the chances I will be the first foreigner they employ? And I waste so much time preparing for the interview. Last time I spent about 4 days only preparing for one interview as they told me they tend to ask about it. As a result I know the whole history and structure of challenges of this one company. I was asked about it at the interview. But now, what do I need this knowledge for?

I worked so hard to get something, sending applications mainly at night, cause otherwise I don't have time for that. The results are as always.