View Full Version : Vyvanse : your thoughts? New here!

HaveAMiceDay
04-10-17, 06:36 PM
This is a longer message but imperative to the story more or less, sorry for the long windedness.
This last month has been a whirlwind for me. I finally ; after all these years, went to an adult psychiatrist. With a resounding "yes" he agreed with me I had severe ADHD. The worst aspect of this disease for me is impulsiveness, an absolutely dreadful aspect that has ruled over my life and forced me to not only shut a lot of people out but also put a strain on my personal relationships and marriage from lack of responsibility, priorities and selfishness. What drove me to finally go see a doctor was when I was so preoccupied with my thoughts and couldn't focus at all that week, I drove into a sign. After I talked to the owner of the business and told him I'd pay to have it fixed I was determined to keep my eyes peeled and drive the back roads home and get help. I turned my car off in the middle of the road while I was driving because I thought I was home ; my steering wheel locked up (naturally) and I went into a ditch. So, end of driving for a while for me. (I did a lot of things wrong l don't know why I or he chose to let me drive again).

Next week at the appointment the doctor gave me dextro-Anphetimene for a week so my insurance could have time to approve his supposed cure-all Vyvanse. How can I explain this, IT WAS THE BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE! FINALLY, I had priorities and stability. My relationship with my wife, son, coworkers, clients all skyrocketed! Literally from a week of this stuff I felt like I had full control! All impulse, gone!

Then came Vyvanse, I feel worse than I ever have. I don't have drive, I'm stimulated sure ; but I have even WORSE impulse! So now instead of regular severe ADHD now I have highly stimulated ADHD ygh! Basically to sum it up you can understand my frustration when this physician swore by this medicine and it is definitely having the opposite effect. But not just him, two other people I know who use Vyvanse swear by it as well! Is it just me? He said it should work just right for me. I'm taking a 30mg pill a day which for me is 30mg more than I have ever taken. Other than the Dextro I have never taken medication in my life! Should I give it time? It's only been a week and a half but it's been an excruciatingly long week!

Thank you for reading guys,
Mice

sarahsweets
04-10-17, 06:50 PM
Why did he take you off of the dex amphetamine if it worked?

HaveAMiceDay
04-10-17, 07:09 PM
Because he said that Vyvanse was more effective in his other patients and not as addictive? But they are both "controlled substances" labeled "high chance of dependence" so your guess is as good as mine.

Traveler5
04-10-17, 08:09 PM

That's what I was thinking. I personally don't care for Vyvanse and it doesn't like me -- I'm allergic to it. For me, when I was taking it, it did not last very long -- only 5-6 hours at the most plus even with insurance it was very expensive. But it was the allergic reaction I get from taking Vyvanse that put an end to taking the med.

Bouncingoffwall
04-10-17, 09:57 PM
Next week at the appointment the doctor gave me dextro-Anphetimene for a week so my insurance could have time to approve his supposed cure-all Vyvanse. How can I explain this, IT WAS THE BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE! FINALLY, I had priorities and stability. My relationship with my wife, son, coworkers, clients all skyrocketed! Literally from a week of this stuff I felt like I had full control! All impulse, gone!

I think this might have raised your pdoc's eyebrows a bit. You went from zero to "Superman" in a week, and if you presented to him in an excitable, manic presentation, it probably set his alarm bells off.

No one has "all impulse gone," not even "normal" people. I never feel like "Superman" on a therapeutic dose of meds. It would take a fairly high dose to pump me up.

Proper administration of amphetamines doesn't confer instant transformation. It's more of a deal where you titrate to the right dose and make modest improvements. Usually it's a combo of medication and behavioral modifications. Pills don't solve all problems.

HaveAMiceDay
04-11-17, 12:56 PM
I think this might have raised your pdoc's eyebrows a bit. You went from zero to "Superman" in a week, and if you presented to him in an excitable, manic presentation, it probably set his alarm bells off.

No one has "all impulse gone," not even "normal" people. I never feel like "Superman" on a therapeutic dose of meds. It would take a fairly high dose to pump me up.

Proper administration of amphetamines doesn't confer instant transformation. It's more of a deal where you titrate to the right dose and make modest improvements. Usually it's a combo of medication and behavioral modifications. Pills don't solve all problems.

I wouldn't think that's necessarily true at all. If you had a broken leg and took a pill and all the sudden were healed that's one thing. When a part of your brain isn't performing properly and a medication activates or stimulates it ; at least in part, and a person becomes excited by the results, I'd definitely say that's probable. Would I say "Superman" no, I wasn't functioning at a higher or extraordinary level, I was functioning normal. Which I never had done before, understand?

Bouncingoffwall
04-13-17, 01:06 PM
Regardless of what your doctor thinks, you could always look for another doctor if you want the dex again. It sounds like your current doctor has already made up his mind.

sarahsweets
04-20-17, 01:32 AM
Your doc sounds like he is full of it. I wonder if he somehow gets something out of pushing vyvanse?