View Full Version : So What's It Supposed to Be Like?

Tetrahedra
04-10-17, 09:46 PM
I've finally decided to try medication. (Many years later.) Initially I was put on generic ritalin, and then on generic ritalin ER. But my question isn't about ritalin itself.

My question is - what's it supposed to feel like? What's the difference between being on meds and not being on meds? There is no difference to me. I'm maxed out on my med dosage, and I have no positive or negative effects of the medication, I might as well be eating sugar tablets. Is it so subtle that you don't notice anything?

I had expected to be able to think more clearly, to be less verbally impulsive, and to be able to focus my attention on a given task. I wasn't expecting magic, but at least SOMETHING.

Bouncingoffwall
04-11-17, 12:01 AM
I've finally decided to try medication. (Many years later.) Initially I was put on generic ritalin, and then on generic ritalin ER. But my question isn't about ritalin itself.

My question is - what's it supposed to feel like? What's the difference between being on meds and not being on meds? There is no difference to me. I'm maxed out on my med dosage, and I have no positive or negative effects of the medication, I might as well be eating sugar tablets. Is it so subtle that you don't notice anything?

I had expected to be able to think more clearly, to be less verbally impulsive, and to be able to focus my attention on a given task. I wasn't expecting magic, but at least SOMETHING.

Maybe Ritalin has no effect on you? Maybe your liver doesn't metabolize it properly. It's pretty remarkable that at the maximum dose of Ritalin, you're not even feeling side effects, especially if you've never taken stimulants before.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

Tetrahedra
04-11-17, 12:53 AM
Oh, I guess I don't know what the ACTUAL max dose is. I only know what the max limit my doctor put into place.

So there is some profound change that one would notice when the medications actually work?

Am I supposed to be feeling side effects even if I don't feel the actual effect?

And yes, I'll talk with my doctor as soon as I get this figured out. I didn't want to tell him that I didn't notice anything only to have him say that it's a really subtle change and that's how medication is or something.

Bouncingoffwall
04-11-17, 10:46 AM
Oh, I guess I don't know what the ACTUAL max dose is. I only know what the max limit my doctor put into place.

So there is some profound change that one would notice when the medications actually work?

Am I supposed to be feeling side effects even if I don't feel the actual effect?

And yes, I'll talk with my doctor as soon as I get this figured out. I didn't want to tell him that I didn't notice anything only to have him say that it's a really subtle change and that's how medication is or something.

What dose are you on right now? What are your dosing instructions (2x/day, etc.)?

Tetrahedra
04-11-17, 01:09 PM
ER 30mg once a day.

But I still would like to know if people who start the right medication actually notice a difference.

Bouncingoffwall
04-11-17, 01:42 PM
ER 30mg once a day.

But I still would like to know if people who start the right medication actually notice a difference.

You still have a lot of room for upping the dose. The max dose is 60 mg/day. It's frustrating when the doc is inflexible with dosing.

You could just have a naturally high tolerance to drugs.

The effect of the drug is usually noticeable within 30 minutes, as soon as it starts entering your bloodstream. How you experience the effect is completely subjective, but generally there is an increase in focus, motivation, mental clarity, impulse control, as well as a "calming" aspect that reduces restlessness/fidgeting (if you have ADHD). Sometimes there is an improvement in mood as well. The side effects can consist of rapid heartbeat, dry mouth, twitching, tics, very slight chest pains (preventricular contractions; harmless according to my doc), appetite loss, and insomnia. Subjectively, you might experience a "speedy" feeling, which is uncomfortable for some people (myself included). All of this of course depends on the drug and the dosage you're taking.

RumandCocoa
04-15-17, 06:10 PM
For me, it was like the clouds parted and I could finally think clearly. When I first started medication, also Ritalin, in 9th grade, it changed my life. I went from being a C-student to straight As. My teachers told my mother that I was like a different person. So yes, as soon as I'm on medication consistently the change is ENORMOUS.

Methylphenidate is either not the right med for you or its too low a dosage. It's not working. If it was working, you'd know. Believe me. Both my brother and husband have ADHD. The effect on them (with different meds) is similar.

Tetrahedra
04-17-17, 07:51 PM
Thank you to both of you.

My doctor had me increase the dosage. I'm feeling some minor side effects, but as far as benefits, I'm not really having a "clouds parting' moment, so to speak. MAYBE I could say that it's easier for me to shift tasks, but I'm not entirely convinced of that.

aeon
04-17-17, 09:31 PM
Ritalin had an "a-ha" effect on me, but to be fair, my doctor started me on 80mg/day of Methylin ER.

Cheers,
Ian

Johnny Slick
04-18-17, 12:33 AM

I had expected to be able to think more clearly, to be less verbally impulsive, and to be able to focus my attention on a given task. I wasn't expecting magic, but at least SOMETHING.I *do* think it's more subtle than people expect it to be. I don't necessarily *feel* any different on Ritalin compared to not, I just... don't say stuff that otherwise I would have just popped out and said, and I don't feel frustrated by stupid things that drive me up the wall when I'm not on meds. But that's like, it. I think that over time the fact that I have a working filter has made me a lot more confident in public situations but even that is a secondary rather than a primary effect. And I feel happier in general but I *know* that's not the Ritalin - I took on a plane flight back from my hometown and I couldn't stop thinking about how I wanted to move back and, well, it was kind of terrible, actually.* I mean, really, the only things that I *feel* on a day to day basis is, um, not hungry.

That being said, all this stuff does work differently for different people. Have you tried Adderall? Sometimes one of the two drugs just doesn't do much for some people for whatever reason.

*Speaking of which, sometimes "I have better concentration" is a double edged sword. Sometimes, like when you're feeling like crap about something, you *want* to be easily distracted, right?